Hi - I didn't think too much about this until some friends at work got their BB's (I have a personal one) & as I was helping them, I noticed they had some different and cool icons. They are on verizon and I checked under status and it was a different version then I am on. I have Tmo 4.3.0.115 so I checked Tmo website and they do not have an upgraded version but the blackberry site does. How come? If I do go with the one from the bb site, are there any drawbacks - it's not a beta - so how come Tmo does not have it.

Thanks,
    07-14-08 02:09 AM
    Hi - I didn't think too much about this until some friends at work got their BB's (I have a personal one) & as I was helping them, I noticed they had some different and cool icons. They are on verizon and I checked under status and it was a different version then I am on. I have Tmo 4.3.0.115 so I checked Tmo website and they do not have an upgraded version but the blackberry site does. How come? If I do go with the one from the bb site, are there any drawbacks - it's not a beta - so how come Tmo does not have it.

Thanks,
    If it is exactly the same model phone, you can use the Verizon OS. Each carrier provides specific themes in addition to the BBDimension themes. It may not be necessary to update the OS to get the different themes. They may already be part of your OS, just not installed on your phone because you are with a different vendor. You can follow the steps in this procedure, John Clark's Memory Optimization, to enable Verizon themes on a T-Mobile phone.
    07-14-08 12:51 PM
    Thank-you. It looks like the exact phone (Pearl 8120) but I will double check that. Why does Verizon have a higher number devision version than Tmo? I think I will try to unlock the other themes per the guide.

Thanks for the info.
    07-14-08 09:58 PM
    Thank-you. It looks like the exact phone (Pearl 8120) but I will double check that. Why does Verizon have a higher number devision version than Tmo? I think I will try to unlock the other themes per the guide.

Thanks for the info.
    The different carriers all get their OS versions from Rim. They take their own time verifying that the OS works with their hardware. That's why you can use any carrier's OS, as long as it's for the same device. It's the same OS. For my 8830, for example, 4.2.2.196 has been available for a while, but Verizon has just in the last month released it. It just depends on how long each carrier takes to verify and release an update.
    07-14-08 10:43 PM
    Thanks a bunch Jeff.
    07-14-08 10:56 PM
    Jeff is dead on...

The subversion number for the OS does not make that much of a difference... the different icons, etc that you are noticing on their Pearls are 1) part of the theme or 2) Verizon exclusive applications (such as VZW navigator, etc!)

As Jeff said, you can unlock the verizon theme for your TMo 8120 by following John Clark's guide. There is also a guide here on CB about the vendor themes

And VZW does not have the 8120, they have the 8130... so you cannot DL and install the Verizon OS! That would be bad!
    07-14-08 10:59 PM
    Wow - that explains it - thanks. I handled their phones and shoot....it looked just like mine....I'm not advanced enough (yet) to start messing with the os. Those icons were so cool tho.....

Thank-you!
    07-14-08 11:13 PM
    Wow - that explains it - thanks. I handled their phones and shoot....it looked just like mine....I'm not advanced enough (yet) to start messing with the os. Those icons were so cool tho.....

Thank-you!
    That's what I meant by exactly the same model phone. Thanks BMcclure!
    Last edited by JeffH; 07-14-08 at 11:16 PM. Reason: typo
    07-14-08 11:16 PM
    Yes, I caught the exactly and I really thought they were....until I heard that Verizon doesn't even have the 8120 model so knowledge is power and I'm learning. Thanks again.
    07-14-08 11:28 PM
    We're all in it together. I should've checked the model numbers...thankfully bmcclure did! It shouldn't have installed, but if it had tried, you would've had the fun of recovering a nuked berry.
    07-14-08 11:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD