I did search so please be a little easy on me.

Right now I have a pearl 8130 (silver) from verizon. I would like to get the phone but in black, how hard is it to swap cases/buttons? I tried this on my razr once and ended up just getting a new razr .

Second question for facebook users is there a way I can play the apps from facebook (mafia wars/mob wars/ etc) on my pearl? I have the facebook app but can't really get into the games. Do I need to mod my phone more or something?

I'm really loving this site so far having the crackberry app store gets me lots of cool stuff But sadly is there still no youtube app for pearls? possibly a different/better/faster browser?

I tried the unlocking trick by calling verizon telling them I'm leaving the country (i really am) and they said that they can't do that and that they have a data plan available if I do plan on going there. So how does that make sense?

I have a bunch of other stupid little questions but I don't want to make my post so long that no one bothers reading it.

Thanks for any help
    09-28-09 10:08 AM
    First welcome to CB
    Second ill start with facebook ... Games aren't available on mobile facebook unfortunately
    Thirdly the unlock thing isn't through the provider its third party and it costs money to do so either 50 to 90 dollars
    No real app for youtube yet just a button for your home screen you click to go to the mobile sight
    Lastly in the how to there is steps to change your phone to black .. It isn't to hard but would void your warranty

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-09 10:16 AM
    wow that was fast thanks.

Can you link me to the changing case thread?

also I have the iberry theme how can I change the 2 items that arent in the bottom row? for me its calendar and messages. I want the messages but not the calendar. any way of fixing that ?
    09-28-09 10:41 AM
    Here you go Greek- How to Disassemble your BlackBerry

I'm not familiar with that theme but I know on some of them, you can change the icons simply by moving them on your home screen. Hopefully I read the post correctly and this is what you mean...

For example, I use a Pearl Flip replica theme with 5 icons on the main screen (bottom docked). Those 5 icons can be changed by opening my main home screen page and moving the icons I want to the top of the list. So the first 5 icons on both the home page screen and the main screen (with nothing open or running) are the same and interchangable.
    09-28-09 12:16 PM
    Thanks robot for the link and he also posted the fix

09-28-09 12:17 PM
    Also with the pearl it is more or less pointless to unlock. Unlocking is for phones that support sim cards for international travel. With a Verizon pearl the only thing I could see it being used for us switching carriers. But it is difficult at best to get a carrier to activate a phone they didn't sell.

09-28-09 03:57 PM
    thanks robot number! guess I'm going to buy a case on ebay cause that looks easy.

hootyhoo thanks for that, I guess I won't bother unlocking it.

I wish I was a little better with this phone i just did some steps that I read to hard boot the phone (without removing the battery) and it ended up erasing my phone, so atleast i have all my ringtones etc but now I need to get my apps again and all my contacts

can someone tell me some of the MUST haves for this phone?

I had the following that I remember
    facebook
    cbs
    iheartradio
    pandora
    trafficparking(some game)
    gmail
    aim
    googlemaps
    google
    crackberryapp

if anything I would like more things to make the internet better maybe a firefox or opera browser? music would be sweet as well. maybe windows media player? or am I reaching for things that aren't there? maybe a trackball color modding thing I just want some cool stuff to play around with while I get used to having a blackberry till I can afford to actually buy one (this was free)

oh if I have documents loaded on my SD card how can I access them and open them on the phone? is there a free or cheap gps program i can use that is good?
    Last edited by GreekPower; 09-29-09 at 12:42 AM.
    09-29-09 12:17 AM
    Ill try to answer some of those. The trackball in the 8130 can't change colors. That's only available for the 8100 as far as I know. Most of those apps you are looking for can be downloaded OTA from the links on crackberry. Windows browser on a blackberry impossible. Opera mini and bolt (which I use ) are both available on CB. I get a lot of ring tones from myxer and zedge. I think the only way you can get GPS on the 8130 is to use vznav but it isn't free. 10 bucks a month I think. Could be a hack for it but don't know. I just use BB maps. Doesn't give turn by turn but will get you there. I put a ticket master app on mine. Works pretty good. Hey it from their web site. You just have to look around to see what floats your boat!

09-29-09 04:35 AM
    Here's a site to get great housings, and a video for disassembly:

BlackBerry Pearl 8130

And for the youtube laucher click here from your Blackberry
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 09-29-09 at 05:26 AM.
    09-29-09 05:23 AM
    Regarding the documents on the SD card, the easiest way to navigate would be-

Media> Menu button> Explore

As far as opening a text document, I've never gone into that. Any file you save on the phone (or SD card) can be accessed this way but not necessarily opened.

Also, since you're new, I'll go ahead and give you a link I guarantee you will use in the future, you may want to bookmark it.

How to Increase your Blackberry's File- Free memory

Sorry if you already know this, not trying to insult your intelligence, just trying to help out.
    09-29-09 11:15 AM
    thanks hooty I'll grab BB maps

thanks for the youtube link I'll add it when I go mobile

robot I'm already on the simple part better is ugh confusing to me I grabbed some programs but I have to play with them first to see how they are gonna work out.

I did have a question for installing apps its telling me I have 6.8mb. is that not enough? where should it be? most possible?

I think I remember reading you can't add apps to a media card correct? I just want to increase the space so it goes faster.

also I have version 4.5.077 and kernel3.8.5.32 I see its up to like OS 4.8 or something higher. Is there a list somewhere for people who switch OS's the benefits of each build?
    09-29-09 02:25 PM
    Stickies at the top of this link will show you the latest OS for the Pearl's. I have never upgraded so I don't really know anything about that. You should be able to find out alot in one of those threads however.

As far as memory goes, it's debatable what is standard or safe file free memory. 6.8 mb is not alot but it should be ok to run the phone on if you don't install anything else before deleting. My phone normally runs around 12-17 mb which is good, I never have any lag or hourglasses popping up unless I have a bunch of programs/apps running in the background. The link I cited in my earlier post is the holy grail of memory threads, just refer to that for any info on memory.

Now, the apps on the memory card I think is do-able but I'm not sure. I think it's some strange process involved to get them saved on the card but you may not be able to run them from the card. Research a little more or hopefully someone else will chime in with some more info on that.
    09-29-09 02:47 PM
    Go to the software section and get CrackMem to reduce the size of your OS. That's really low. There is a program to load apps on your media card, but you would still have to install them on your device for them to run. It's not worth the money, or the hassle.

The Keeper of Useless Knowledge

09-29-09 02:54 PM
    badwulf I looked in the app sections for crackmem. Can you link me I didn't find anything like it.
    09-29-09 09:25 PM
    With pleasure:

The Keeper of Useless Knowledge

09-29-09 09:47 PM
    THANK YOU!

Currently I'm messing around with blackberry desktop manager so I can't touch the phone for the next 30 mins. But I will work with that tonight as well.
    09-30-09 12:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD