I posted a month or so about this and all I got in response was "Well, I get my alerts" which is no help.

I've never heard of a cellular device that can't give you an audio alert, some kind of "nag", when you've received a new voicemail. My Sprint Pearl 8130 will not. Believe me, I've tried everything in my Profile setting - there simply in NO "voicemail" selection from which I could assign a sound.

I would really appreciate some help on this since I either have to fix it or dump the Pearl - my Beloved Spousal Unit aka Reason For Living has indicated I should go back to a cellphone which has normal voicemail if we both want to be happy.

Please do not reply unless you have also experienced or heard of such a problem and know of a solution - "mine works" isn't exactly helpful. And put a fork in Sprint customer care/tech support - I'd rather communicate via tin cans on a string than try to get a coherent response out of them, and I'M A SPRINT DEALER.

Thanks!
    06-20-08 12:45 PM
    Anyone? Anyone? Nobody?

OK, a bit more info: I leave myself a voicemail and lo and behold I do get a sort of alert - the ringtone "Notifier_EtVoila" plays, once. Only once. It ain't loud. No possibility I'd hear this with it in my pocket, and in the car? Right.

Can I find this ringtone listed in my active profile (or any other) after going to Profiles-->Advanced-->Menu-->Edit, as the notifier for anything? (Bear in mind that "voicemail" is NOT on the list) Nope.

OK, I know what the default, albeit incredibly lame, notifier is for New Voicemail, even though no such thing exists in any menu. And I know I can access it from the Pearl's ringtones. So what if I were to use Roxio Media Manager to (hopefully) crank up the volume, make it longer etc etc? I say hopefully because I've all my ringtone editing with Goldwave and know all Roxio products to be as bloated as anything Microsoft every coded and equally obtuse.

Nope again, in Media Manager when I click on Ringtone (in Device, not on my media card) I get "There are no media files in this folder that match the filter settings". Filter settings is default, All Media Files. So the original device ringtones are not media files and can't be edited?

Yesterday I missed 3 important business voicemails, so until I solve this or dump the Pearl I have to set a reminder to check my voicemail every 20 min. This is nuts! Again, thanks in advance for your assistance.
    06-25-08 08:32 AM
    Sorry nobody has been able to help you thus far. I have not experience anything along the lines you are experiencing.

Couple questions :

How long have you had the Pearl??
    Did the VoiceMail ever work correctly?
    Did you ever load a different OS on it??

I am thinking it might be in best interest to Backup the Pearl in DM. Then wipe the handheld. Then restore from backup.

This may help, but don't quote me on that. Also, if this fails a fresh OS install would be my next option.
    06-25-08 09:22 AM
    I am not sure if this will help you or not? What do you have set as your text message indicator? My voice mail notification is the same as the text message - it also shows up in the text message list. I have a very loud MP3 set as my text message indicator and I always know immediately when I have a voice mail (or text message).
    06-25-08 01:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD