On my first day of my vacation in Maui we went to eat breakfast which led to an unplanned walk on the beach. My 8130 was in my pocket and we got splashed unexpectedly. I didn't even think that it got wet but it started acting wierd and the keypad stopped working,the shortcut buttons wont work and the trackball will highlite things but not "click" on them. The phone still receives calls and messages but I can't view them cause the buttons don't work. I took out the battery and left it.
    I spoke to my local repair shop and he said he could put it in a chemical bath and fix it ?? I would really feal better if I could back it up before going to the shop but if I remember correctly, when I first plug it to the computer it asks if you want to enter "mass storage mode".If I can't select "no" it seems I might be dead in the water. Does anyone have any ideas about how to back it up or what the chances are of getting the BB fixed?

Thanks,
    Tim
    12-11-08 02:48 PM
    With salt water your chances are virtually nil. Especially if it's been a few days already. The normal process is to remove the battery and dry the BlackBerry. Sealing it in a bowl of dry rice is one safe method that won't risk overheating your device. In your case, that will leave a destructive salt residue behind as the water evaporates.

Be careful you don't pay more for a questionable repair technique than your device is worth.
    12-11-08 03:09 PM
    Thanks for your reply, I did remove the bat. and put it in rice for 2 days before trying it. My main concern is my data, nothing earthshattering but certainly an inconvenience. The bad thing is that it has spent its entire life in an Otterbox that would surely have protected it from the small amount of water that got on it. I took it out of the OB so it would be smaller and easier to slip in a pocket while traveling.
    Live and Learn,

Tim
    12-11-08 04:09 PM
    Any "solvent" (other than water) will not dissolve salt, so you can forget about the approach that was suggested to you.

You could try dunking the handset in distilled water (not tap or bottled spring water). With the battery left out, as well as the SIM and memory cards, there's really little damage that pure water could do. Shake out the water (or spin it out using a mesh bag and some good wrist action), and repeat a couple of times, to wash out the salt. Then dry very thoroughly - a week in a warm, dry place. (For a first attempt, I think I'd keep the upper third dry, so as not to risk fouling up the camera.)

If the problem is corrosion, the device is a goner anyhow, but if the problem is just salt residue causing mischief, this might do the trick.
    12-12-08 01:48 AM
    I know this really sucks but I'm hoping you have insurance on your device! If you do, this is exactly the kind of circumstances it is meant for. I think you have to pay a fee when you make a claim, kind of similar to a deductible. I'm not sure because I have been lucky enough not to have to use it, but I know the fee is nowhere near the cost of replacing your blackberry outright. Wll that's just my two cents . Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 02:37 AM
    I never push anything when I hook my pearl to my computer I just plug in the usb and lay it on top of the tower then work off the desk manager. I back mine up regular to keep all my contacts and ring settings updated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 05:43 AM
    Thanks again everybody. I fear that I may have to replace it. I don't have insurance but oh well. I just want to get home and try to back it up. FYI the amount of water that got on it was very small, and seemingly was only in the keypad area. It was about like picking up the phone with water on your hand. The water indicator inside is still white and it was by no means "dunked" or submerged. It did get wet enough to screw it up and thats really all that matters. I am very sceptical about the supposed chemical wash and I am going to start with my carrier first. I have 2 phones that are not under contract and am going to buy my son a new one for Christmas. Mine is only 7 months old but I may try to play a little hardball with them and see if they will throw me a bone. Probably won't work but I may move the other phones to another carrier and take a hit on mine.????????
    I'll let ya'll know what happens.

Thanks,

Tim
    12-12-08 12:59 PM
    I took my phone to my carriers neighborhood location and tell the guy what happened. He says that I can submit the phone for warranty and they will send me a replacement phone then if they decide not to warranty it the phone will cost me $200. His opinion is that even though there were no outward signs of water damage that when they took the phone apart that any warranty hopes I had would be out the window. I decided to take it to the repair shop to try the chemical wash for $20. When I come back the phone is bricked. The guy says it was a mess inside and just charged me $10.
    I then went to the main location and talked to another guy who said that since I had 17 months left on my contract that a new pearl was $400 or I could mail it in for warranty and end up with a refurb. for $200. I had one last shot so I threw myself on the "mercy of the court" and told him that I had 2 other phones that were no longer under contract and was buying another phone for my son's christmas and was there any way he could cut me some slack. After a minute he said " Your a longtime customer so I'll give you another pearl for $50". I said thats great but if I wanted a curve what then. He said I'm gonna just wipe out your contract so you can get it for $150 with a new contract. The phones are cheaper online than in the store but they have an "online location" right up the road so I went there and got the Curve. As well as 3 other phones for my wife, mother in law and son. So I'M BACK BABY!
    The next big surprise was on the way to get the phones I stopped at my wife's office to get her phone so they could port her numbers. I was showing her how fried my pearl was after the "chemical bath" and when I put the battery in it,it started working like new! The chemical bath really worked!! My son said that he could barely hear me and the camera lens had liquid in it but now the liquid is gone from the camera and I bet that in a day or two the mic will be ok. I'm just gonna keep it in case of another emergency.
    I think I'm gonna love the Curve!

Sorry for the ramble
    Kudos to Cell.South Thanks!
    Tim
    12-15-08 11:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD