Hello everyone I am a new blackberry pearl 8130 owner. I have learned lots about my bb from this site.But I see that a lot of people prefer the curve over the pearl. I want to know why is this. This is my very first blackberry. So can someone explain the differences between them Thanks
    09-30-08 06:42 PM
    I too own a Pearl, and I love it. I think many prefer the Curve because of the larger screen, and the full QWERTY keyboard. I also think that the Curve has more memory.

Since you are with Alltel, as am I, you can't send picture messages on the Pearl, but you can with the Curve.

Like I said, I really love my Pearl, but I may upgrade to the Curve when my contract is up. I could use the extra memory. Also, I'd like to be able send picture messages.

Hope I helped some...I know other members, who own the Curve, will have more detailed information for you.
    09-30-08 07:32 PM
    The Pearl has a lot of software issues... If you have the option to get out now and get the curve I highly recommend it, I've been stuck with the pearl and I'm on my 3rd one and yet the same software issues keep occuring... The phone freezes, automatically deletes my text messages, recent calls, emails, and missed calls log. The navigator also doesn't work well on it.

I dream of some day owning another blackberry... but until my contract is up I'm stuck!
    10-01-08 11:14 AM
    The Pearl has a lot of software issues... If you have the option to get out now and get the curve I highly recommend it, I've been stuck with the pearl and I'm on my 3rd one and yet the same software issues keep occuring... The phone freezes, automatically deletes my text messages, recent calls, emails, and missed calls log. The navigator also doesn't work well on it.

I dream of some day owning another blackberry... but until my contract is up I'm stuck!
    umm...I've had my Pearl (8120) for a while now and have never had issues.

The answer to the original question is....preference. If you're a hard-core BB user, the Curve would probably fit your needs. Me, I picked the Pearl because of the size.
    10-01-08 11:20 AM

The software issue adepaula is referring to is the well known memory leak. It is less noticeable on the Curve because it's got more onboard memory (96 vs 64mb) than the Pearl, but it is still there regardless of device. If you search Stoner's guide, it'll show you how to free up memory and keep things in check.
    10-01-08 11:32 AM
    Congrats on your new BB. I have nothing against the Pearl just decided the curve suited me better. I prefer the larger screen and qwerty keyboard.

Enjoy your pearl

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-08 11:36 AM
    True, I installed Memory Viewer ($10) and I no longer have the leak.
    10-01-08 11:41 AM
    I have a pearl, and I love it. I have noticed the software quirks (I'm on my 2nd one...) but I love the size and everything a lot.

I think some people prefer the full keyboard too. I don't mind the one on the pearl though but I know that's a big con for some people
    10-01-08 07:54 PM
    Welcome to CB readingteacher. I have a Pearly. I prefer the form factor of it over the Curve.
    10-01-08 08:39 PM
    It seems like people who use their device a lot prefer the curve because of the full keyboard. But for people like me who send out less than 10 messages a day, we prefer the smaller size and I like that I'm not lugging around a big device.
    10-01-08 08:59 PM
    I like my pearl over the curve because its smaller. I use mine constantly and dont mind texting on it all day. Just matter of prefrence.
    10-02-08 01:46 AM
    I almost forgot....Welcome to CB
    10-02-08 01:47 AM

Don't let this scare you, if you keep up on cleaning out the memory (battery pull at least once a week) you should have no freeze ups or memory leaking. I went with the Pearl to moderately keep in touch with emails from work and home, I read then delete. I'm not a huge emailer, but when I do get them, they are important. I like it for the instant messaging, and the small sleek size. I guess if I did more business from it, I might go to the Curve.
    10-02-08 09:27 AM
    Thanks to everyone that replied---------I think I made the right choice!!! I love my Pearl and when I contact is up I will decide on upgrade or not then

Thanks!!!
    10-02-08 04:58 PM
    Thanks to everyone that replied---------I think I made the right choice!!!
    There is no wrong choice when it comes to Blackberries
    10-02-08 08:29 PM
    Its preference, I like the curve for the full keyboard and bigger screen, but it what you like that matters. both are good phones
    10-02-08 08:38 PM
    Welcome to CB.....
    10-02-08 08:50 PM
    I got my pearl because I could upgrade for 50 bucks, rather than 199 for the curve in a year...have had memory issues, this is my 2nd one to date. Maybe ill try the curve after a year when I can upgrade early...not sure about the touch screen storm though. Might frustrate me too much

10-02-08 11:27 PM
    I have a Pearl (Since March) and have no issues at all.
    10-03-08 04:39 PM
    welcome to the crack
    10-03-08 04:43 PM
    I went from the Pearl to the Curve... and they both have their advantages. True, the Pearl does have a very frustrating memory leak (SOME, not all). I had 3 of them over two years and when it happened, it was a major inconvenience. I loved the functionality of my Pearl and the smaller size made it more convenient. The keyboard took some getting used to, but I could text on it much faster than I can on the Curve!

The Curve's screen is larger and much easier to read, the onboard memory is greater - and you don't have to mess with the Suretype keys on the QWERTY keyboard... which I find to be rather nice, after inadvertantly sending some really strange messages because I didn't proofread them... LOL!

Either way, I agree with Blackberry Guy... there is no wrong choice when it comes to Blackberries!

Just follow the suggestions for clearing your cache and take the battery out for at least a couple of minutes once a week and your Pearl should be your best friend.

Welcome to CB!
    Heartforhorses :-)
    10-04-08 09:56 PM
    I use my pearl a lot and I like the fact that it's small but I want to switch to the curve because of the keyboard and the memory.

10-05-08 09:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD