I live in a city with multiple area codes. We do not have to dial 1 when calling these various area codes. My pearl automatically puts a 1 in front of my local numbers. I read the user name and it tells me to go to a function that is not on my phone. Can anyone help me? I am a brand new blackberry user and am frustrated.

It also won't set up my email... tells me an error has occurred and to try again. I have tried at least 8 times with the same result. I am using an msn email address - is that why?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Cindy
    06-14-08 08:34 PM
    For the "1" issue, go to your phone options/Smart Dialing and turn off "Use 1 for National Dialing"
    06-14-08 08:50 PM
    MSN accounts created after the year 2000 will not work with a blackberry unless you pay for the enhanced service.
    06-15-08 12:01 AM
    For the "1" issue, go to your phone options/Smart Dialing and turn off "Use 1 for National Dialing"
    thank you very much i have been wondering about that my self i haven't seen where it cause any trouble but i just cut it off anyway. again thank you.
    06-15-08 12:11 AM
    Is there a problem associated with dialing the number 1 first? Do you get charged extra? I don't think so. Mine does that too and I haven't bothered to change it.
    06-15-08 04:13 AM
    Thank you for your quick response - unfortunately, Smart Dialing is not listed under my options. This is the problem. Is there another way?
    06-15-08 07:10 AM
    MSN accounts created after the year 2000 will not work with a blackberry unless you pay for the enhanced service.
    Ah - well that would explain it. Thank you for your quick response.
    06-15-08 07:12 AM
    Thank you for your quick response - unfortunately, Smart Dialing is not listed under my options. This is the problem. Is there another way?

Go to like your making a call, hit the blackberry key, scroll to options/Smart Dialing then turn off "Use 1 for National Dialing".
    Last edited by pj41; 06-15-08 at 08:29 AM.
    06-15-08 08:26 AM
    You can access it under Call Log>Options
    06-15-08 09:23 AM
    Go to like your making a call, hit the blackberry key, scroll to options/Smart Dialing then turn off "Use 1 for National Dialing".
    I have consulted my manual and dang if I can figure out which is the "blackberry" key.
    06-15-08 09:40 AM
    You can access it under Call Log>Options
    You are a genius! I found it and turned it off - nevertheless, it continues to dial the 1. I went back in and deleted the area code from the top line in the same place where it says +1 and area code - that didn't work either. I am at a loss...
    06-15-08 09:41 AM
    The blackberry key is the one between the green call button and the trackball.
    06-15-08 11:28 AM
    You are a genius! I found it and turned it off - nevertheless, it continues to dial the 1. I went back in and deleted the area code from the top line in the same place where it says +1 and area code - that didn't work either. I am at a loss...
    did you save the change after you changed it you have to save ?
    06-15-08 01:04 PM
    The blackberry key is the one between the green call button and the trackball.
    Thank you - This is being referred to as a menu button in some cases. Thanks for you patience with me. I really am trying to learn.
    06-15-08 03:50 PM
    did you save the change after you changed it you have to save ?
    HA! Again you're a genius. I find that I exit or back out of things because I'm unsure how to leave it and the SAVE doesn't always happen. I think my problem is solved. You are all wonderful. Thanks for your extreme patience with me.

And BTW - I got my msn.com email to work too. I just tried again and it went. I have had confirmation. I feel like I'm really cooking now. Not bad for an old woman huh?
    06-15-08 03:53 PM
    HA! Again you're a genius. I find that I exit or back out of things because I'm unsure how to leave it and the SAVE doesn't always happen. I think my problem is solved. You are all wonderful. Thanks for your extreme patience with me.

And BTW - I got my msn.com email to work too. I just tried again and it went. I have had confirmation. I feel like I'm really cooking now. Not bad for an old woman huh?
    LMAO! Just dont burn you or the house down!!
    Here's hoping you enjoy your Berry!!
    06-15-08 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD