Hi, People My pearl came on wednesday. YAY! I've read tonns and tonns of reviews on it, listed what people liked and disliked about it... and when I got it I was like WOW!! This thing is amazing! Obviously Pearl was very improved since 8100, because keyboard is very nice. On youtube one guy complained about interface (that options are just text) some people complained about trackball... So, I assumed that there are going to be things that I won't like also... But I guess being totally virgin in cellphones (never had one, don't have any cellphone habits) this smartphone is perfect! Unfortunatelly, there are only 3 cellular providers in this crappy town, 2 CDMA and one is GSM (but it is local provider, has good coverage only in town and has crazy roaming charges just outside of the town) so, I had to go with 8130, instead of 8120... Now, my question is it possible to remove GPS module and install WiFi module? and install software of course... its just on university campus Wifi is absolutely everywhere... Would be nice to use it on my amazing BB!!!
    03-21-08 12:07 AM
    No, you can't do anything with the internal hardware. No WiFi for the 8130.
    03-21-08 05:50 AM
    Supposedly, there will be a microSD wifi card on the market at some point, but even then, there's the question on whether or not any BB will support it and the issue of having the proper software made.

Honestly, though, with EVDO, you'll find that wifi really isn't something you need.
    03-21-08 08:15 AM
    You are going to laugh, but EV-DO isn't really available in my area... This is area is so rural, its not even funny, I can't wait to get the heck out of here. As you can see in the pic signal is not even at full strengh. For some reason I thought that GPS and Wi-Fi were modules that can be removed, that is why I asked. are there any bluetooth to wifi adapter? and last question... what does that symbol mean? Little circle in with + inside? Right underneath of wireless symbol
    03-21-08 08:40 PM
    what does that symbol mean? Little circle in with + inside? Right underneath of wireless symbol
    hmm... What does it mean? Crop Circles in proximity?
    03-24-08 07:53 AM
    I think that means you're roaming I am not sure.
    03-24-08 08:02 AM
    It does mean your roaming. Pearl does not offer wifi The curve does and its cool thing to have.
    03-24-08 08:31 AM
    It does mean your roaming. Pearl does not offer wifi The curve does and its cool thing to have.
    Thats strange, mine always has that symbol up.
    Will there be extra charges?

Dm
    03-24-08 01:24 PM
    Thats strange, mine always has that symbol up.
    Will there be extra charges?
    I can't imagine it means roaming since mine is always up and I'm NOT roaming.
    03-24-08 07:39 PM
    The little symbol is the GPS indicator, whether it's set to location or e911.
    03-24-08 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD