I order a Pearl today (it should be here Monday) and I'm trying to figure out as much about it as I can.

Is it possible to send MMS messages without a BB Data Plan? Right now I have MediaNet Unlimited and unlimited family messaging from AT&T. Will that work with the Pearl? I'm hearing conflicting arguments on this subject and would like some solid info.

Thanks,
    Clayton
    08-08-08 04:35 PM
    Actually, you need a data plan period to activate a Blackberry with any carrier outside of Tmobile. I believe they are the only carrier that will allow you to use a Blackberry without a data plan. Please note a Blackberry data plan is different from having MediaNet.
    08-08-08 04:38 PM
    You definitley need a data plan. A berry is nothing without it...
    08-08-08 04:41 PM
    Actually AT&T lets you activate a BB without a data plan. I don't think you can send MMS without a plan but I am not sure.
    08-08-08 04:42 PM
    Regardless, of carrier MMS goes over data and you would need a BB data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-08 07:16 PM
    I have a 8100 with AT&T. I have the medianet unlimited plan and a text pkg and can send sms/mms. I can also use the browser, opera mini, viigo and the rest. I don't have the push email but everything else. The medianet is a data plan but not the "blackberry" plan. I have had the at&t people tell me you can't do it without the bb plan but it can be done.
    08-08-08 07:59 PM
    I have a 8100 with AT&T. I have the medianet unlimited plan and a text pkg and can send sms/mms. I can also use the browser, opera mini, viigo and the rest. I don't have the push email but everything else. The medianet is a data plan but not the "blackberry" plan. I have had the at&t people tell me you can't do it without the bb plan but it can be done.
    You must be using a third party browser, as the native bb browser will not work without a data plan.

Mms has nothing to do with data, it is a form of text message.

08-08-08 08:04 PM
    Actually, you need a data plan period to activate a Blackberry with any carrier outside of Tmobile. I believe they are the only carrier that will allow you to use a Blackberry without a data plan. Please note a Blackberry data plan is different from having MediaNet.
    You can do it on sprint as well.... though I don't know what the point of a blackberry is without data...
    08-08-08 08:59 PM
    You can mms and SMS without a data plan on at&t. You need to have a text plan though. Unlimited for family is 30. You do need the blackberry data plan to browse. And e mail etc media net will not work for your berry

08-08-08 09:13 PM
    You must be using a third party browser, as the native bb browser will not work without a data plan.

Mms has nothing to do with data, it is a form of text message.

When I had the BIS plan I had the option of either the bb browser or the medianet (wap) browser. Now that I no longer have the BIS I only have the medianet wap browser. I do tend to use opera mini more because it's quicker but if I want to download an ota file I use the wap browser.
    08-08-08 09:21 PM

I don't have data and I am able to send MMS to anyone.
    08-08-08 10:54 PM
    you guys are lucky with your mms sprint is lame they need to hook up a mms server
    08-09-08 02:11 AM
    you CAN send MMS with the blackberry as long as you have Unlimited Texting with ATT. The unlimiting Texting allows you to send unlimited pictures, text, videos, and voice recordings.

- so You dont need a data plan.
    08-09-08 04:04 PM
    Originally Posted by orle8050

MMS does NOT use data. It is simply a picture message.
    08-09-08 04:06 PM
    MMS does NOT use data. It is simply a picture message.
    No, according to the ATT Wireless Site you MUST have a Blackberry Data Plan. MMS goes over data on most carriers.

ATT site stating that you must have a data plan as a prerequisite: Answer Center | AT&T, formerly Cingular
    08-09-08 04:32 PM
    no you dont need one but i dont about a unlocked one....
    i had bought a pearl from ebay and had no mms cause of no data...
    then i updated the OS and it was able to access the net and send mms messages....
    but i couldn't use bb messenger or pin messages
    and i used that bb for 5 months
    08-09-08 04:37 PM
    no you dont need one but i dont about a unlocked one....
    i had bought a pearl from ebay and had no mms cause of no data...
    then i updated the OS and it was able to access the net and send mms messages....
    but i couldn't use bb messenger or pin messages
    and i used that bb for 5 months
    So you were able to use MMS without a data plan after you upgraded the OS. What OS did you upgrade too?
    08-09-08 04:51 PM
    Got my new Pearl and have been using it with my AT&T Unlimited MediaNet and Family Texting plans with no problem.

I am not able to use the BB Browser or get the Push email, but I am able to send MMS and surf the web with the AT&T or Opera Mini browsers.

All my apps (facebook, Yahoo! Go, Google Maps, Gmail, etc.) work just fine and dandy.
    08-13-08 09:29 AM
    I'm sure this has already been covered in this thread... but why would you want a blackberry without a data plan!? My mother-in-law has a curve without a data plan, and that pretty much makes it a camera phone with an unnecessarily large keyboard. My wife also has a curve, and I'm a pearl user myself, and I can't imagine trying to use it without the data. If the $30 is too much to add to your phone bill to properly use the blackberry, there are other qwerty phones available for AT&T that don't require the extra cost, and are probably a little cheaper to buy.... Just my opinion.
    08-13-08 02:17 PM
    amphoteric how are you able to use the MMS feature? I have t-mobile and I'm not able to retrieve the message. It says could not retrieve message content in the message body. When I select to retrieve, it just hangs on Receiving content.
    08-13-08 03:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD