BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 Up to 2 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0.81 Up to 16 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.6.0 Up to 16 GB

Get Up and Running: Format microSD Card Via BlackBerry

Some new memory cards can be used right out of the box, but it's always a good idea to format a microSD card before loading it up with personal files. The formatting process is short and sweet, and we strongly advise walking through the following steps to avoid future issues. You may also need to reformat your memory card in the future if it stops functioning properly, and this process can be used for reformatting as well.

First, click the Options icon on your BlackBerry icon screen--the icon looks like a wrench in most default BlackBerry themes. Inside Options, scroll to Media Card and click the trackball. Next, while on the Media Card screen hit your BlackBerry Menu key--to the left of the trackball--choose Format and select "Yes" when the prompt asks if you're sure you want to format the card. After about 10 seconds, you'll see another prompt that tells you your card has been reformatted.

Protect Your Personal Files: Encrypt That microSD Card

Encrypting files on your media card can help protect the personal data you store on your device. BlackBerry smartphones let you encrypt the files on your microSD card using a media card-specific encryption key, your existing handheld password or both. You can also decide whether or not to include certain types of media files in the encryption.

To do so, you need to return to your Media Card options screen by clicking the Options icon on your BlackBerry icon screen and then choosing Media Card from the list.
    screen shot of BlackBerry Media Card options screen with Encryption Mode field highlighted

Next, set the Media Card Support field to "On." If you wish to use a random key generated by your smartphone to encrypt your files, set the Encryption Mode to Device. If you want to use your handheld's password to encrypt the files, set Encryption Mode to Security Password. If you want to use both to protect your media card files, choose Security Password & Device. Finally, set the Encrypt Media Files field to "Yes," and then save your changes when you exit.

BlackBerry as a USB Memory Stick: Turn Mass Storage Mode On and Off

When you equip your BlackBerry with a microSD card, you enable the device to be used just like a traditional USB memory key. However, the proper settings are required in order to store files on your card.

First, you should return to your Media Card screen by clicking the Options icon on your icon screen and selecting Media Card. On that screen, set the Mass Storage Mode Support field to "On." Then scroll down to the Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected field and choose "Yes" from the associated dropdown menu. Or if you want to choose whether or not to turn on Mass Storage Mode yourself each time your BlackBerry is connected to your computer, set the Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected field to "Prompt."

One of the simplest way to add media files to your microSD memory card is via the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software that ships with new BlackBerry devices. You can also obtain the most recent version of the desktop manager from your wireless carrier or from RIM's website. Refer to your device user guide for further information on how to use RIM's desktop manager software.
    01-29-09 02:27 PM
    I would add that the simplest way to add music and other media files is to simply open My Computer on one's PC and after saying yes to activating mass storage mode, drag and drop the files onto your berry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-09 09:06 PM
    I would add that the simplest way to add music and other media files is to simply open My Computer on one's PC and after saying yes to activating mass storage mode, drag and drop the files onto your berry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I second that.
    03-20-09 09:07 PM
    my BB curve's version is 4.2.2.180, will it support micro SD 8G or shud i stick to 4G? pls advise. thanks
    05-24-09 03:01 AM
    my BB curve's version is 4.2.2.180, will it support micro SD 8G or shud i stick to 4G? pls advise. thanks
    Stick to 4GB. 8 will not work.
    05-24-09 03:21 AM
    I would also add, if your PC has "Safely Remove Hardware" in the tray when connected, use it. Otherwise you will endanger the files on your card.
    05-24-09 08:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD