i want to preface this question by saying that i have read many of the previous posts concerning the 'memory leak' issue on some blackberrys.

My question is this:
    My pearl 8130 from VZW is my first blackberry. After reading the numerous posts about problems with memory and loosing emails/sms/mms/phone logs etc. i knew that i did not want this to happen so i followed many of the 'how to guides to free up more additional memory'.
    I went through and removed the unused languages, i removed the applications that i wasnt using, deleted the sample video, i have a sd card that has my photos and ringtones on it( which right now is only about 10pics and 3 ringtones), i have cleared my browser history and memory, i have nothing in my phone logs, and currently have no sms/mms/emails. I did a final battery pull and i only still manage to have just shy of 14meg free memory. Is there something that i missed? something else that i should do? ive read of people having 20+ even 30+ meg of memory free, is this just not possible on the pearl?
    p.s. the only other things that i have 'added' is one free game from the blackberry homepage, i purchased the BB Droid theme from the wonderful Crackberry store (great theme by the way!), and i have the wap shortcut for the crackberry homepage.
    What else can i do to gain more free memory? or should i just be happy w/ what i got, i have yet to have a 'memory leak' problem, i was just hoping to avoid one...
    04-11-08 08:50 AM
    "I went through and removed the unused languages, i removed the applications that i wasnt using, deleted the sample video"

I know this is not the answer you seek, but, I would do another hard reset and go back thru the process of John Clarks' optimizing thread(Optimize your BB! How To Setup for max free memory!). This time delete wall papers, themes that were already on the berry when you bought it. John has a list of items that you should delete from your berry for more memory. Good Luck.
    04-11-08 09:51 AM
    If you complete the link posted by Blacklatino, you should increase by at least 10 more MB.
    04-11-08 10:52 AM
    This would be really helpful, but I don't have desktop manager, so I can't do the OS reinstall. Any other suggestions for a way to get more than 14mb free space?
    04-11-08 02:13 PM
    alright i will go back and try JC's method again, little 'uneasy' about removing stuff from the OS, but ive read his guide so hopefully there wont be any problems. but always to be on the safe side i will do a backup before i start!
    04-11-08 02:42 PM
    yea, don't be such a wussy!
    04-12-08 12:42 AM
    It scared me at first but I followed the steps worked great! When I had to reload the os I did it again no sweat now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-08 12:45 AM
    I just deleted a couple more things on JC's memory thread, and now I'm running 34471196 free. Sweet!!
    04-20-08 02:10 AM
    If you have VZW (which the OP has), you're going to have trouble finding spare memory.

After I did the JC thread (along with numerous others), I still hover around 12-13 mb of memory. I only have a couple of Google apps and Viigo installed. I'm amazed people get over 20 mb of free memory on other carriers with this phone - I've never had even close to that. And I only have one theme installed, and cleared up all the other junk.

Apparently VZW Pearls have lower memory than others because they load their phones so full of junk. I've found it near impossible to make this phone operate the way I want it to because of the memory issue.

Unless someone else has any other suggestions, if it's within 30 days, I would take it back and hold out for the Curve. On VZW, the Pearl has 64 mb of memory (of which it seemingly needs 50+ mb to operate), and the Curve has 96mb. At least that's my suggestion...
    04-20-08 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD