This is unrelated to the question in my other new thread.

The minimum time to keep emails on the BB Pearl is 15 days. Is there any way to reduce that time so that emails will automatically be erased after, say, 7 days?

This is one reason for me running out of memory, which I believe was the cause of my disappearing address book.

Yeah, I could manually erase each one as it comes in... but I'm lazy.
    01-12-09 04:26 PM
    You know it's pretty easy to mass delete emails prior to a specific day, right?

EDIT: By the way, how many emails do you have? I just deleted a bunch (went from 485 to 116) and only freed up about 500k of memory.
    01-12-09 04:31 PM
    You know it's pretty easy to mass delete emails prior to a specific day, right?
    Uh...no... how do I do that?

I have over 500 messages.
    01-12-09 04:55 PM
    Uh...no... how do I do that?

I have over 500 messages.
    Highlight a day and hit the blackberry button, then select delete prior. It will delete all emails prior to the day you highlighted.
    01-12-09 05:15 PM
    Fyi If You Need Keep Your Messages, Just Back Them Up On The Dm And Delete Them On Device
    01-12-09 05:17 PM
    Thanks, y'all!

Can I put my address book on a sim card to free up memory?
    01-12-09 06:03 PM
    Thanks, y'all!

Can I put my address book on a sim card to free up memory?
    Sim card or memory card? Memory card.....no.
    01-12-09 06:20 PM
    Sim card or memory card? Memory card.....no.
    Explain the difference to me? What is it that goes in the tiny slot on the side of my BB pearl?
    01-12-09 06:52 PM
    Explain the difference to me? What is it that goes in the tiny slot on the side of my BB pearl?
    SIM card hold all of the subscriber info and is used on GSM phones.

Subscriber Identity Module - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A memory card stores files and goes into the tiny slot on the side of your phone.
    01-12-09 07:18 PM
    Does my Pearl have a SIM card?

ETA: Okay, I've been reading around and what I'm coming up with is that if you want to put addresses on the sim card, you have to do it one at a time. What would be the reason for putting the address on the sim card? Is that for backup purposes? Would it really free up memory?
    Last edited by Lillieperl; 01-12-09 at 08:49 PM.
    01-12-09 08:16 PM
    Does my Pearl have a SIM card?

ETA: Okay, I've been reading around and what I'm coming up with is that if you want to put addresses on the sim card, you have to do it one at a time. What would be the reason for putting the address on the sim card? Is that for backup purposes? Would it really free up memory?
    Sprint is CDMA, so no SIM card.
    01-12-09 09:33 PM
    Hmmm... you are a person of few words, Hil.

I'm guessing that one of the purposes of the SIM card is backing up the address book, but since I can do that with the Desktop Manager, I don't really need that function?
    01-13-09 09:34 AM
    Hmmm... you are a person of few words, Hil.

I'm guessing that one of the purposes of the SIM card is backing up the address book, but since I can do that with the Desktop Manager, I don't really need that function?
    I have never had a GSM phone, but my understanding is that only the name and main phone number are/can be stored on the SIM card. So backing up your contacts there is not really an option.

You can use either Outlook or Google Sync to easily back up your contacts.

And I have never been accused of being a person of few words before. My wife would find that comment hilarious.
    01-13-09 10:15 AM
    Hehehe. Verbosity rules!!

You can use either Outlook or Google Sync to easily back up your contacts.
    I don't use Outlook.

I don't use gmail.

Won't the backup process on the BB Desktop Manger suffice?
    01-13-09 05:49 PM
    I have the Blackberry Pearl 8110 on a GSM network and you can store your phone book on your SIM card. The only downfall to doing this is that it only stores phone numbers for your contacts. It also does not save them labeled as work/home/cell ect. The only plus to storing your phone book on your SIM card is that it is a heck of a lot faster to transfer phone numbers to your new phone, it does not store msn or yahoo contacts or email addresses for your contacts. What found interesting is that this blackberry allows you to also save SMS messages to your SIM which I would not recommend due to the fact that you will fill it up faster than you would fill the device memory!

On my phone i have a general inbox which all messages, (email,instant messages SMS, MMS(if it was working for me at this time.. doesnt' work for anyone with a blackberry with my cell provider) but I also have inboxes for both my gmail and msn email. I can delete just gmail or msn emails by just emptying it's individual inbox. I really wish blackberry would fix the MMS messaging!

Perhaps the reason you have 500 emails is that your getting what i call "sending yourself a copy of every email you create without knowing it"? I would Log into your BBIS and create the NO sent items filter for each of your email addresses. That would eliminate quite a few emails lingering in your message boxes.
    01-14-09 06:50 PM
    I have my BB set to keep emails for 15 days-- I just have a lot of email traffic. I've started deleting more manually. I do want copies of messages that I send from my BB to also come to me so I can have copied in Outlook Express. Many of them are for business and I need to have copies in my computer.

Anyway, won't the backup process on the Desktop Manager suffice for backing up my contact phone numbers and email addys? And won't I be able to use that to transfer them to a new phone when I get one?
    01-15-09 06:48 PM
    I was with Sprint a few years back, and they don't use SIM cards. You can use the Desktop Manager if you are switching between two blackberry devices. But if you would happen to switch to a non blackberry phone the desktop manager won't help you one bit.

I switched from a Sony Erickson to my Blackberry Pearl. I had my contacts saved to my SIM card. I inserted the SIM card into my new BB Pearl and just selected copy all to phone book, 30 seconds later... bunch of contacts in my contact list!

Plus side of a SIM card is the cool ability to switch phones, w/o having to having my cell provider program my phone, it just works automatically!
    01-15-09 07:15 PM
    Thanks, hughey, thos were the subtle points I was wanting to know. Alas, I'm with Sprint, so I guess I'll just need to stay with BB's eh?
    01-15-09 07:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD