Hi everybody. I was following the guide (sorry can't paste it because I don't have 10 posts yet, but it was from the offical BB forums) and something went wrong down the line (error 523). I was told to use Jl Cmder to wipe my phone. I wiped my phone and then loaded up desktop manager like one of the guides said. It would supposed to reload all my applications and OS for me. Fast forward to my phone, the theme is different and everything seems weird, slow, laggy, etc. I restore my ipd file that I made so it looks like my phone is normal. After only 10 or 20 seconds, my phone is back to being laggy and slow before getting the 523 error again.

What is the deal and is there anyway I can fix it?
    07-28-08 05:27 PM
    Yes, I received error 507. Once I do that, I was told to reconnect the device to desktop manager and something could come up (prompts) but nothing ever has.

At that point I just go to application loader and try to have nothing installed but that doesn't work either.
    07-28-08 05:58 PM
    Download the latest O/S from the stickies at the top of the page, or go to alltells site and download it. Run the downloaded file (should install to your computer and will be viewable in the add/remove programs menu) and make sure to remove and previous versions from the add/remove menu. Then delete the vendor.xml in the c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader directory. Open DM and plug in the blackberry and it should search for updates and prompt you to install. Let me know how this goes and if you need further assistance, good luck.
    07-28-08 07:03 PM
    I think I might private message you if you don't mind. Not being able to post links is a huge hurdle for new users wanting help.

I'll try to keep everybody else updated here when I don't have to post links.
    07-28-08 07:40 PM
    i know my opinion doesn't count but i don't see any harm in posting a link to help some one. i know we have rules for a reason i just don't see it my self but i will go by the forum rules.
    07-28-08 09:15 PM
    Go here...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/

This will help you. Follow the directions exactly
    07-28-08 09:17 PM
    I got all those links and installed them but after I let it finish wiping and reinstall the OS, it eventually finishes. Then I go and try to restore the ipd file and after I hit ok to restore again it loses the connection. I look at the screen and it has the 523 error still. I can reboot the phone and restore the settings but eventually once I get the phone up and running after about 30 seconds of use I get the error gone.

I can't post the links because I don't have 10 posts yet.
    07-28-08 09:22 PM
    I got all those links and installed them but after I let it finish wiping and reinstall the OS, it eventually finishes. Then I go and try to restore the ipd file and after I hit ok to restore again it loses the connection. I look at the screen and it has the 523 error still. I can reboot the phone and restore the settings but eventually once I get the phone up and running after about 30 seconds of use I get the error gone.

I can't post the links because I don't have 10 posts yet.
    You must not be doing something right, you need to follow the directs perfectly. What is this ipd file you keep mentioning?
    07-28-08 09:24 PM
    That is my backup file, it is *******.ipd.

I will follow your guide but it seems the pretty much exact same thing. I'll give it a try anyway.
    07-28-08 09:32 PM
    It's not my guide. It's bmcclure's guide and he happens to be one of the most knowledgeable crackberries out there!!! Just do it
    07-28-08 09:34 PM
    I used the guide by didn't take out any of the alx files or mess with any of that. I followed the guide to wipe out the OS and reinstall it and am waiting for it to finish.

I also didn't delete the vendor.xm because in that wiping guide it said only to delete it if "Make sure the Vendor XML file is deleted if you are going to install a OS that is not from your carrier."

I want to install the Alltel OS so I didn't delete it. The past couple times I went through this I tried deleting that file so we will see what happens.

I just a reply in that big guide thread about having a micro sd card in the slot while doing all of this. Do you think that would affect anything? If it doesn't work this time, I will try taking out my micro sd card.
    Last edited by mystic54; 07-28-08 at 09:56 PM.
    07-28-08 09:49 PM
    Another thing I noticed, in this guide "Proper Upgrade / Downgrade Procedure " (can't link to it until I have 10 posts) it says do not disconnect the usb cable after it finishes installing, so you can restore your backup.

Well right after the installation finished, I hear the usb disconnect sound and can't restore my phone because it looks like it is currently trying to boot up.
    07-28-08 10:21 PM
    After re install the OS it will take about 10-15 minutes to reboot. DO NOT WORRY as this is normal
    07-28-08 10:24 PM
    Sorry not trying to be rude but I don't think you understand. I have done this so many times today, yes it does take about 15 minutes but instantly even if it eventually boots up, the OS is still very laggy and soon gets the error 523. How is that even possible, I just wiped it?

That is what has happened all 6 times I did it today.
    07-28-08 10:36 PM
    Try sending a PM to bmcclure or Crucial_Xtreme and ask for their help... they are experts, I'm just a noob cake
    07-28-08 10:38 PM
    Ok, I will try to see if I can get any help for them. Thanks for trying to help.
    07-28-08 10:51 PM
    Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance to you... anything else I can attempt to help you with today?
    07-28-08 10:52 PM
    Well without a working not much. Thanks anyway. I sent them private messages so hopefully if they can figure out something for me to try, I might have it up and working by tomorrow morning.
    07-28-08 10:59 PM
    Goodluck to ya!
    07-28-08 11:06 PM
    You may have to do a clean install WITHOUT backing up. It appears you MAY have a program/icon that is giving you compatibility issues. This is kind of an old link, but it's worth looking at, I think.
    http://www.blackberryforums.com/medi...523-error.html
    07-28-08 11:07 PM
    Like I was saying before though, the phone boots up without me ever even touching the backup and it looks really funky. Its like a weird red theme that has a whole different interface. Even in that, the phone is really laggy and slow.

I just thought of something, not sure if this would help. Originally the first time I tried this whole process, I edited my blackberry.alx file but never made a backup. Now even after uninstalling/reinstalling of the OS and the desktop manager software, the blackberr.alx file still doesn't have the old vendor values it had the first time.
    07-28-08 11:12 PM
    Got it working thanks to bmcclure937 guys! Thanks everybody!
    07-29-08 05:23 PM
    Sweet! Would you be willing to share the fix, in case someone else runs into the same problem?
    07-29-08 05:30 PM
    Got it working thanks to bmcclure937 guys! Thanks everybody!
    Glad you got it working!!

It is nice to hear when the PMs, IMs and all of the troubleshooting paid off... *phew*
    07-29-08 05:35 PM
    Sweet! Would you be willing to share the fix, in case someone else runs into the same problem?
    Well that's just it. I'm not exactly sure what I did this time that was so different from the other 5-6 times I tried.

Just make sure you install desktop manager first, then your phone.
    07-29-08 05:42 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD