Hey all. Just wonderin if anyone knows how I can import contacts from my computer, without using Outlook or something.

All I want is to add my phone contacts, if I add all my Outlook contacts I would have hundreds of people I don't need on my phone!

All of the CRM software out there is WAY to in depth for what I need and costly. I just wanted to be able to type the name, phone and email on my COMPUTER rather than on the 8130's keyboard.

Thanks,

Ryan
    10-15-08 09:23 AM
    Outlook is the easiest way I know to load contacts into the phone. You have two options. You can synch everything in Outlook and be done with it. The address book database is so small you'll never notice a few hundred contacts. I have 977 and the file is less than 190k. If you don't want to do that, then dump all your Outlook data to an excel spreadsheet, save a copy, delete all the stuff you don't want to sync, import the reduced spreadsheet into Outlook, synch that, then reload your full Outlook from the spreadsheet you saved.

I'm not aware of any third-party PIM replacements. Full-blown CRM tools such as Salesforce will be overkill for what you want, and not cheap.

Somebody else may give you an easier solution. I just synch everything.
    10-15-08 10:28 PM
    yeah neither of these are what I need.

I need someone to develop an easy breasy address book for this thing!

LOL

Ryan
    10-17-08 09:23 AM
    There isn't a stand alone Address Book application...

You can either sync with a CSV file, which is an Excel spreadsheet format. (too messy in my opinion)

-or-

In Outlook
    1. File
    2. New
    3. Folder
    4. Folder Contains
    5. Contact Items
    6. Name: BlackBerry contacts (or whatever you wanna call it)
    7. Ok

Add the contacts that you will want on your BlackBerry. Then open Desktop Manager.

DTM 4.6 (may be slightly different if ya got a diff version) Berry needs to be connected before continuing...

1. Synchronize
    2. Synchronization (left side)
    4. Synchronization (right side)
    5. Click on Address Book to highlight it.
    6. Click Advanced.
    7. Map Folder
    8. On the left side, you should see a list of folders, expand Contacts and you should see the one you just created.
    9. Click on it, then click Add.
    10. In Selected Folders, remove the folder for the conacts you don't want on your Berry.
    11. Hit OK 3 times.
    12. Synchronize (left side)
    13. Click Synchronize button when ya ready.

This way you can use Outlook to easily manage your contacts and sync only the ones you want. I know it's quite a few steps but it's a one time setup and will get you the info you need on your Berry.

hth,

e.n.
    Last edited by el_novato; 10-17-08 at 08:01 PM.
    10-17-08 07:45 PM
    I have my contacts saved in excel as a csv file that I named BlackBerry Address book. Here's what I did: I got the contacts from my device, fixed them all up and then reversed it but I think en's way might be easier - gotta try that!

BlackBerry Address Book Sync

Use Desktop Manager

Config
    Config synch
    Address book
    Click set up
    **Select direction as one way from device
    Select ASCII import
    Click next
    Options
    Select comma and dbl quotation
    Click browse
    Find blackberry address book csv and click top open
    Click finish
    Then OK
    Click sync
    Sync now
    Accept
    Close

Reverse to import from desktop
    10-18-08 02:30 AM
    i'm with this guy! I bought the 8310, first phone I have had that doesn't come with a desktop manager where you are able to edit the contacts without having to use outlook or excel, mapping etc etc. pretty disappointed actually. this phone didn't come with a simple program to manage contacts or am I just missing it?
    10-20-08 10:20 PM
    i'm with this guy! I bought the 8310, first phone I have had that doesn't come with a desktop manager where you are able to edit the contacts without having to use outlook or excel, mapping etc etc. pretty disappointed actually. this phone didn't come with a simple program to manage contacts or am I just missing it?
    No, you didn't miss anything. The BlackBerry is designed to be used with Outlook. RIM doesn't provide any PIM application. That's probably a reflection of the corporate environment where RIM has its customer base. As they expand into the consumer market, you'll probably see 3rd party developers fill some of these consumer needs.
    10-20-08 11:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD