My Pearl is having weird memory issues. I have a Verizon 8130 Pearl. I have a few apps that I run. I have Google Sync, Facebook, IHeartRadio, Quick Pull, and 1 3rd party theme that makes my Pearl look like a BB Bold! (Which is an awesome theme, btw!) And I have the memory cleanup feature turned on. Anyway, I upgraded my OS to 4.5.0.175 wirelessly about 3 days ago. Before the upgrade my memory stayed around 5-8 MB with a max of about 11mb after a battery pull. (Which I did about 3 times a day) After the OS upgrade my memory stayed about the same but would go as low as 3.5 MB during the day. The difference was that after a quick pull my memory would only recover to about 9.5 MB. I was a bit surprised by that but I figured the new OS needed more memory or something like that. The new OS is really stable and even with the lower MB count my Pearl was rocking. It seems that no matter how low the memory count got the Pearl would continue to run much better than the previous OS. I have my quick pull set for 4:15 am so that when I get up for work my phone is fresh for the day. I checked my memory this morning, 14.6 MB! Can someone please tell me how my Pearl went from an average of around 9.5 after a quick pull to 14.6MB? I even did another quick pull just to see if it was a fluke, Nope, no fluke, 14.6 MB again. I guess the OS just settled down or something.

Thanks!

JeremBB
    02-05-10 07:54 AM
    I'm using .180 on an 8120, and removed a bunch of junk that I didn't need like voice activated dialing, useless apps, etc, and I still have about 8 3rd party apps installed and 3 themes, and the phone runs beautifully. Before I performed the cleaning, even after uninstalling most of my 3rd party apps, I always had LESS than 9mb free after a battery pull, and 1mb to 3mb later in the day. With the deleted junk (OS junk removal), after a battery pull (quickpull) I'll have about 17mb to 19mb free and usually hovers around 15mb to 16mb free afterwords. After maybe about 3 weeks I'll reset the phone, and right before I reset the phone, the file free is around 9mb to 11mb, which I think is pretty good for 3 weeks without resetting and having heavy usage on the phone. I browse internet a lot, I stream music to it all the time, use it as a modem, etc.

I used a program called JL GUI to remove all of the unnecessary stuff from my phone. All of the guides here show you how to modify the OS files BEFORE installing the OS, which isn't bad, but with JL_GUI I can remove any file I want from the phone without having to reinstall the OS.

Honestly, I'm the type of guy who loves having a BUNCH of stuff installed on my phone to make it seem really cool, but for the first time ever, I thought about it real hard, and finally decided to remove what I truly don't use. I don't have GPS on my phone, but I have a high end TomTom, so I went and removed my maps, Voice activated dialing, Tmobile 5 Favs, unneeded themes, made sure to move ALLLL of my multimedia files onto my sd card, got rid of messengers I don't use a lot, and there's so much more you can get rid of. I am the type who always hates throwing away or deleting stuff because I always say to my self "what if I need it?" but deleting a lot of junk will help your phone tremendously when it comes to performance.

Some advice for ya, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DELETE THE PRELOADED THEMES! I am using a theme I downloaded, the one that makes it look like OS 5.0, precision, and figured I could delete my other themes. Upon doing that and restarting, everything looked horrible. Everything was flat white, it looked just like as if I were using Windows 3.1, or worse. It only took 1 min to reload the theme files back on though, so everything is good.

Man, as little as an extra 64mb sounds, I SERIOUSLY WISH these older pearls had at least 128mb. Even that tiny bit more would make such a huge difference!

Let me know if you need any help!
    02-06-10 01:08 PM
    Ohh and one more thing. I've found that my phone performs very differently (slower) if I "upgrade" from an older OS to a newer OS. A backup of personal files, then a COMPLETE Phone/OS/memory wipe, then clean install is best. I seriously don't know WHY this is like this (for me at least) but at least 4 times I have had the same issue with upgrading (not always) where after the upgrade is completed, and then the phone will lag so much more, and I see the hourglass a lot more.
    02-06-10 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD