I am so SICK of the hourglass. I am missing calls and text messages because it's always waiting for SOMETHING. It makes me want to SCREAM. I have actually considered throwing my stupid phone off a cliff. It's my work phone so I can't afford to miss calls. Can anyone help me?? I'm desperate!
    12-13-09 10:57 PM
    Yes, whatever you do, stop banging your head off the wall trying to hear the squishy sound, folks find it disturbing.

Ok, you sound like you are suffering from low file free memory. Go to Options>Status, copy your file free number so we know what we're dealing with.

What 3rd party apps do you have.

Do you have a Media Card, and save pics and ringers set to save on it? Camera>Options>Save to media Card?

What OS are you running, type 'myver' hit the spacebar in your reply.

Thanks, and we'll do our best to get you back in trim. Take a deep breath, it'll be ok.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-09 11:15 PM
    Another way to ensure that you're BB runs as quick as possible is to exit all programs that you aren't using (the proper way). Are you exiting programs by hitting Menu>Exit or just hitting the end button? Running too many programs simultaneously will keep that hourglass going for a while.
    12-13-09 11:38 PM
    My wife, and 2 sons had the same problem with their 8130's. THe stores solution was to shut off the phone and pull the battery. It was a band-aide fix, at best !!! The problem continued to get worse. BUT, it was finally fixed. She got a new 8330.

We were also told that since we were "Alltell customers", that the towers etc. were changing over etc.
    12-14-09 07:24 AM
    Easier than a battery pull, I installed QuickPull. This gives your phone a hard reset without actually yanking out the battery.

I get the hourglass every once in a while as well and just use QP to restart the whole thing.

You can get QP for free off of App World.
    12-15-09 04:03 PM
    Backup everything and wipe the device. Just did it a few days ago after WAY too much hourglass time. Seems to have worked but I know it will be back in a month or so. At least its really easy to restore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-09 04:57 PM
    I keep the Pearl because I have a employee plan, no contract, and it was free. Also I love the size and the mp3 player capacity. However the device has a joke amount of OS memory, by far the least powerful smartphone currently out there. As others have suggested, make sure you have no extra apps running (lower left button plus return button brings up running apps) - you probably never close your browser. You simply can't multitask on the Pearl without the evil hourglass. Remember, the apps installed eat up system memory and you can't just add any app you want or you will have constant hourglass. Check system memory [Options->Status->File Free] and if you're down around 12-15 megs you need to clean out unused apps including those which come standard, like the useless and annoying Voice Dialing. Get rid of unneeded language support. Pull the battery. Good luck.
    12-18-09 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD