Hi,

I've spent the first half of my Monday trying to figure this out. It would be great if anyone could tell me how to do this.

I've already figured out how to spell out lettters when dialing a number, you use the ALT key and corresponding letter, and the bb will convert the letter to a number.

Great, BUT when you are in the call already and try to enter a "password" with letters or do a "dial by name" using the same method, the letters double up. How do I spell out letters without having to memorize 2 for "ABC", 3 for "DEF", etc...?(Verizon cust. svc. actually suggested I memorize the ABC's on the dialpad!???)

Thanks for you help
    02-25-08 04:25 PM
    I am not sure if there is a way to get it while in a call... but memorising it isnt that bad I have it all tucked up in my head - although I am used to thousands of text messages using a regular phone
    02-25-08 04:29 PM
    02-25-08 04:32 PM
    I started the thread posted by Member_No.1 above.

As you will see, some people in that thread claim that you can navigate a voicemail system in the same manner, by simply using the "Alt" key. I've never been able to make that work. So, I've added this picture onto my SD card and access it as necessary.
    02-25-08 04:34 PM
    Another Gadget!!!

The keypad cheatsheet on SD card is too funny

Maybe something to do with the 8100 4.2 OS vs 8130 4.3, but I've never had any difficulty dialing numbers w/ letters, before or during a call, as well as navigating menu systems using the "ALT" method.
    02-25-08 04:51 PM
    Another Gadget!!! SNIP....
    Just great!
    02-25-08 04:53 PM
    Another Gadget!!!
    I think I might have seen one or two other "relatives" around here as well.

Hey, whatever works ... right?

Maybe something to do with the 8100 4.2 OS vs 8130 4.3, but I've never had any difficulty dialing numbers w/ letters, before or during a call, as well as navigating menu systems using the "ALT" method.
    That could be the culprit. I was patient and tried multiple times to get this to work on 4.2 OS, but I just couldn't get it to work.
    02-25-08 04:57 PM
    you could always tape a copy of that picture to the back of your berry...

-db
    02-25-08 04:59 PM
    you could always tape a copy of that picture to the back of your berry...

-db
    I think we need someone to make that into a theme or a home page wall paper!
    02-25-08 05:03 PM
    I think we need someone to make that into a theme or a home page wall paper!
    The image I uploaded is already perfectly sized for a wallpaper on an 81xx.
    02-25-08 05:05 PM
    Thanks for all the responses! It seems strange that the ALT then Letter method works for only some people and not others. I have OS v4.3.0.60 with Verizon. Could that be the culprit??
    I'm really trying not to have to put up a dial pad wallpaper or stick something to the back of the phone....ghetto!!!
    02-25-08 05:47 PM
    I'm really trying not to have to put up a dial pad wallpaper or stick something to the back of the phone....ghetto!!!
    Then don't use it as a wallpaper. Just put it on the SD card and navigate to it when necessary. Sure, it would be better to not have to do that, but it's really not that big of a deal. You just gotta roll with some things ...
    02-25-08 05:50 PM
    Thanks for all the responses! It seems strange that the ALT then Letter method works for only some people and not others. I have OS v4.3.0.60 with Verizon. Could that be the culprit??
    It should still work. Type 1 800 then hold down the alt key and type BESTBUY. remember you need to hit the AS key twice to get an S and the TY key twice to get a Y
    02-25-08 05:55 PM
    It seems strange that the ALT then Letter method works for only some people and not others. I have OS v4.3.0.60 with Verizon. Could that be the culprit??
    hmmm... don't know... I only ran .60 for such a short time, I'm not sure if I ever used it then, but do know it has worked for me in .65 and all subsequent.
    02-25-08 05:59 PM
    Using the ALT then Letter method in order to dial an Alpha phone number(1-800-BESTBUY) wasn't a problem. I was just having trouble spelling out names or passwords when already in the call.

Here's what I was doing wrong....I wasn't keeping the ALT button down for letters like "L" or "S"....because they didn't have numbers. Also, putting the phone on mute may have helped.

So....figured it out - keep ALT down for all letters, do a quick double tap for the 2nd letter, and even if it displays weird on the screen(double or out of order), it should work.

Thanks again everyone for the responses. This is still a helpful forum and website. Hope this may have helped someone else!
    02-25-08 06:17 PM
    Sorry, was thinking you were having issues dialing a number.
    But anyway, Glad you were able to solve your issue.
    02-25-08 06:26 PM
    Hey, thanks ! I've been lurking on this post for a while and finally got it to work just now.. Oh how many times this lovely site has saved me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-08 11:18 PM
    Another Gadget!!!

I may start to like the other Gadget better... :]
    02-26-08 12:05 AM
    Hey, thanks ! I've been lurking on this post for a while and finally got it to work just now.. Oh how many times this lovely site has saved me

02-26-08 12:17 AM

02-26-08 12:58 AM
    We heard you the first time Chris! Trying to get you post count as high as dad's? Not that I would post just for the sake of increasing my count.

Come on 1000!
    02-26-08 04:34 AM
    I may start to like the other Gadget better... :]
    cate!!... I'm totally cwushed
    02-26-08 04:47 AM
    I think I heard a question that didn't get answered. I've got a Pearl 8100 (v 4.2.1.96) and when I use the alt + letter method I get double letters.

For instance, I was trying to call Regions bank. Their number is 1-800-REGIONS. Using the method described I get 1800RREGGIIONNS...any thoughts?
    03-04-08 04:24 PM
    Does anyone know how to fix the problem above with double letters? I have the same problem when trying to dial letters. I hold down the alt key and can get the correct letters to come up, but the Pearl adds in double letters or characters. If I backspace and try several times, I can get the word to come up the way I want.

It's really annoying and I haven't seen an answer to the issue. Please don't send a link to 800 best buy.
    09-02-08 04:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD