I just bought a used Pearl 8130. What is the best procedure to wipe the previous users data from the phone and start fresh ? Should I just reload the OS ? I'm a relative newb to the BB scene. Please help. Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks.
    05-08-09 05:46 PM
    Best thing to do is to go to settings<options<security options<general settings<press the menu key adn then select wipe handheld. that will wipe the device and set it back to factory settings.
    05-08-09 06:15 PM
    Best thing to do is to go to settings<options<security options<general settings<press the menu key adn then select wipe handheld. that will wipe the device and set it back to factory settings.
    Sweet, just did that. Also I notice that the most current OS on the BB site is version 4.5.0.177 and the current OS on the Pearl is 4.3.0.66. Should I upgrade ? I have all the cables, what is the procedure ?

Again, thanks so much for the info.
    05-08-09 06:39 PM
    Sweet, just did that. Also I notice that the most current OS on the BB site is version 4.5.0.177 and the current OS on the Pearl is 4.3.0.66. Should I upgrade ? I have all the cables, what is the procedure ?

Again, thanks so much for the info.
    yes you should upgrade..go to the link i provided and it will answer all your questions

BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com
    05-08-09 06:43 PM
    Yes, definantly upgrade to the 4.5 you will be happier......just follow the link in giantfan post and upgrade......let us know how it turns out.
    05-08-09 09:04 PM
    Welcome to crackberry! Check out the 101 lecture series found in my signature. It contains a lot of answers to FAQ's that newbies may have...
    05-08-09 09:26 PM
    OK, thanks for all your help. All problems resolved but what a story !!

I bought a second hand 8130. I called Bell at the sellers house and verified the ESN. I was told it was good with no negative flags on the account. Great, I buy the unit. Arrive at the local Bell store and ask to swap my current cell # to the 8130. I'm immediately told that the ESN is flagged !!!! I'm LIVID !!!! I tell them I just got off the phone no more than 1 hour ago with Bell and they said the ESN was clear and now they just did a 180 ? Turns out the previous owner had not paid his bill and the unit was shut down some time ago, surprise surprise. I had to get a written receipt from the seller saying he sold me the unit and I had to fax that to the head office. Long story short, 2 hours later and many hairs less I had it activated on my account. I can't wait for Monday, I'm going to get the head of customer service on the phone and demand some comp'ed service for their complete lack of protection for their customers.
    05-10-09 02:27 PM
    Oh ya, I wiped the unit and upgraded to OS v4.5 from v4.3 . The desktop software crashed at 95% and the unit was nuked. I have to use the app loader to restore it but v4.5 then loaded flawlessly.

Again,..thats for the help for all those that responded.
    05-10-09 02:32 PM
    Wow that is insane. I'm glad you got it all squared away. Hopefully someone will hear your case and it will turn out like you want it to. Good luck...
    05-10-09 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD