Hello. I'm new here and I'm having a little trouble adding friends names and "slang" words with SureType and to the Custom Dictionary. For example if I want to write "Goodnite" the SureType automatically predicts "Goodnight" and won't let me do "Goodnite" no matter how hard I try. How do I do this? It's driving me crazy!

Also, how do I stop the SureType? For example whenever I want to type .edu (like my school email address), how do I do that? Whenever I try it automatically predicts "education" after i do e-d-u and there is no way to undo it back to just edu. How do only do edu? Do I press a button or move the scroll-ball a certain direction?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    03-25-08 12:55 AM
    Okay...first do yourself a favor and DON'T look at the screen as you're typing! You'll drive yourself crazy! In fact, stick a post-it note over the screen as you're typing. The fact is as you're typing 99% of the words you type will end up exactly as you want.

Any that are customed, like a friend's name, you can add to the Custom Dictionary or, as you type them, you train the BB to "learn" the specialized names that you want to be added.
    03-25-08 01:02 AM
    but I tried to add the word "Goodnite" in the Custom dictionary and it wouldn't let me. I thought that was very weird. It kept coming up as "Goodnight" instead even in the Custom Dictionary! Is there a way to use Multi-tap in the Custom Dictionary as this would make it easier to add custom words?

What does it take for a word not in the SureType dictionary to get added to the dictionary? Do I have to type it 3 times or something?
    03-25-08 01:15 AM
    I have nite, g'nite, and goodnite in my Custom Dictionary and I didn't even "add" it there!
    03-25-08 01:18 AM
    so how do I get it in there!? Haha, please help.
    03-25-08 01:41 AM
    I just typed it in my SMS texts to friends and the BB added it to my dictionary for me.
    03-25-08 02:03 AM
    Exactly, when a new word is typed in a msg and space or enter is hit, the word is added to the Dictionary.
    03-25-08 05:30 AM
    Other than moving the scroll ball to the left while typing a word, is there any other way to cut a word off. For example if I wanted to type "edu," I would move the scroll ball to the left (and then back to the right to continue typing). Is there a shorter way to do this? I'd like to use SureType without ever having to use the scrollball really.
    03-25-08 09:22 AM
    Other than moving the scroll ball to the left while typing a word, is there any other way to cut a word off. For example if I wanted to type "edu," I would move the scroll ball to the left (and then back to the right to continue typing). Is there a shorter way to do this? I'd like to use SureType without ever having to use the scrollball really.
    If its edu you want and education pops up or something but only the edu part is highlighted hit space bar it will cut the word off right there.
    03-25-08 09:31 AM
    THANKS! Thats waht I needed
    03-25-08 09:37 AM
    You can disable the SureType if you want. Just open up an application like memopad and start a memo. Click the menu button and you will have a choice to enable Multitap. SureType will now be disabled for all of your applications.

If you leave SureType and type you will usually see a list of words that it tries to insert for you. I have seen where it lists exactly what you have as well. In the example of goodnite - when i type goodni - I get the option to select goodnight or goodni which will allow me to put the t next.
    03-25-08 09:40 AM
    Sure type is cool you just have to get use to it and in know time you will be typing faster than ever.
    03-25-08 09:47 AM
    so for example, the other way around, if I want the word "education" and I've type e-d-u already and "education" pops how, how do I select "education "and continue typing? Is there a way to do it without the scrollball?
    03-25-08 09:53 AM
    I think you can press the enter key (bottom right). I'm not sure though
    03-25-08 12:12 PM
    I think you can press the enter key (bottom right). I'm not sure though
    yeap just hit enter it will fill that word in that popped up for ya.
    03-25-08 12:14 PM
    It takes alot of patience! Hang in there pretty soon it will be a piece of cake.
    03-25-08 12:17 PM
    You will love it when you get the hang of it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-08 12:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD