so i just bought a new pearl 8130, refurbished from EBay. it is supposedly an Alltel phone. I was on the phone with alltel for about an hour last night trying to program it, but it hasn't worked. Today, when i enter *228 it says "welcome to verizon wireless!"

My theory is that because the account is set up in Wisconsin and that is where Alltel operates, it can't be programmed where I am, in Boston. So perhaps it needs an Alltel tower to connect to, but the only towers around are Verizon or otherwise. Any thoughts?
    08-20-08 09:16 AM
    so i just bought a new pearl 8130, refurbished from EBay. it is supposedly an Alltel phone. I was on the phone with alltel for about an hour last night trying to program it, but it hasn't worked. Today, when i enter *228 it says "welcome to verizon wireless!"

My theory is that because the account is set up in Wisconsin and that is where Alltel operates, it can't be programmed where I am, in Boston. So perhaps it needs an Alltel tower to connect to, but the only towers around are Verizon or otherwise. Any thoughts?
    Why don't you unlock the phone and then use it with whichever carrier you pleasE?
    08-20-08 10:16 AM
    i'd rather not spend another $50+ to have it unlocked. if there was a way to do it myself, i would for sure.
    08-20-08 10:55 AM
    It's a CDMA phone, there is nothing to unlock, call alltel customer service and see if they can/will activate that esn on their network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-08 12:27 PM
    just for everyone's information, i talked with alltel at length and also with another tech geek that works for my company. apparently, i need to be near an alltel tower to activate it on their network. my plan is based in wisconsin, but i live in boston right now where there are basically ZERO alltel towers.

Fortunately, i'm headed back home on friday for the weekend and the prevailing theory is that I'll be able to activate it then.

thanks for everyone's help though. I'm sure i'll be back on here if I can't get it up and running this weekend.
    08-20-08 12:43 PM
    From what I've heard it's pretty close to impossible to get another carriers CDMA phone on another network; especially Verizon.
    08-20-08 05:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD