I'm having a problem with my side port charger. One of the pins inside the phone broke off some how. I have no clue, and it really chaps my *** too. I take great care of the phone and it was working 6hrs earlier....

Anyway. My question is; Can I take a wall charger and cut off the mini-usb connector, take the 2 wires from the cord, and connect them to the back of the phone, the 2 gold tabs for the docking station charging points? Doesn't the box and electronics in the actual wall plug control voltage, amp, and current regulation?

It's just quick fix, my phone is 100% dead, I really need it to work. I don't have another BB, my spare was lent out, and not available to use, or even to charge my battery. I'm stuck at my apartment alone, with no contact to the outside world to try and get this fixed. So this is my best option. Thanks alot for any usable info.
    02-28-09 06:25 PM
    It's never a good or safe idea to cut cables that run from the walls.

Ask yourself what's more important, your BB, or you life?
    02-28-09 06:29 PM
    Might work. You are not going to kill yourself, as there is nowhere near enough voltage or amperage coming out of the charger to even feel, let alone kill.

The only risk is to your BB.

EDIT: All that being said, assume the typical "do not try this at home" warning with this.
    Last edited by hilmar2k; 02-28-09 at 06:41 PM.
    02-28-09 06:38 PM
    Could you run out and buy a charging pod? That would eliminate the need for the port. And it would probably be safer.
    02-28-09 06:59 PM
    well places are closed, and I don't have a car, let alone a licence. So thats a problem.

And yeah I know that there isn't a lot of voltage coming through a charger. I am an Auto tech and have done many of wiring of many different things. A battery is a battery, + and - thats it. one on each. I have a test light and can check which wire is which, I would be doing in a safe manner. I have all proper tools and connections.

I guess I wanted to know if anyone had the specs on the charger like;

input : 100V - 240V @ 50-60hz, 0.15a
    output : 5.0V ( which is nothing, touch a 9 volt to your tounge. now imagine 60% less. it's nothing.)

Its not a high amount of anything at all. I WOULDN'T imagine the docking station specs being any different, they both have to charge the same batt and phone.....

I'm gonna try it and let you guys now...

Thanks tho
    02-28-09 07:52 PM
    OK, So I did it and it works GREAT!

No heat, no sparks, no anything.

With suck low V it would be damn near impossible to fry.

So remember this trick if you have a similar problem....
    02-28-09 08:00 PM
    did you just hold the wires on it?
    03-01-09 10:41 AM
    Nice find!

Dm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-09 12:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD