Hi everyone!

I have recently bought a Pearl 8120 on the o2 network, and am very pleased with it. It's great.

However, I think it should be capable of operating on an EDGE network, at least it says so on o2's own specification site for the phone. I know that I am in an area with coverage as I have been able to get it on other phones. Is there an option I need to enable, or am I overlooking something that's starring me in the face?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
    08-24-08 11:54 AM
    Do you have a BB data plan?
    08-24-08 12:07 PM
    Hi and welcome to CB.

My signal constantly alternates between EDGE and GPRS. It all depends on the signal strength where you are. I get an excellent EDGE signal on the train for example.

There is nothing you can do to change it I don't think.
    Last edited by Hazysky; 08-24-08 at 12:53 PM.
    08-24-08 12:31 PM
    I do have a BB data plan.

Most of the time I have a full signal strength indicator. It just seems odd as I know I am in places where other phones have received an EDGE signal.
    08-24-08 12:46 PM
    It does appear a little odd but perhaps the blackberry picks up the stronger of the two signals. I honestly don't know the nitty gritty details of it all.
    08-24-08 01:09 PM
    I read somewhere that EDGE was not supported on the 8120 on o2, but I'm not sure if that's right, particularly since their own site lists it as a connection for the phone. I might have to go on a day trip and see if it works elsewhere!
    08-24-08 01:16 PM
    Go on a train journey

All o2 devices are GPRS/EDGE to my knowledge.

The exception to this is the soon to be launched 3G Blackberry Bold.
    08-24-08 01:22 PM
    Thanks very much for your help, I'll see what happens.

Cheers.
    08-24-08 01:44 PM
    My 8120 which has an O2 logo (I'm on the IOM, with manx telecom which are owned by O2) I have picked up edge in the England but I never really payed attention to how it switched.
    08-24-08 05:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD