I bought a pearl 8130 a couple weeks ago and I am still learning/ getting used to it. I have researched this site quite a bit and it has helped me with a lot. I do have a few questions that I haven't found an answer to yet:

- BB maps Vs. Sprint Navigation - which one of these is preferred from those of you that have an option? I'm looking to free up some memory and don't know if deleting BB maps would be a good idea.

- I had my phone set to receive mail from yahoo which worked for a couple of days, but now It does not receive any e-mails from them. I deleted my account and had a hard time re-adding it but finally got it done and still no change.

- I have added and deleted a number of programs over the last couple weeks, and I know if you do this on a computer then you should defrag it. Is there any programs that will do this on a blackberry, and does it help much? Free or at least cheap would be preferred.

- I deleted my facebook app yesterday after I noticed my file free was around 5,000,000 which instantly brought it to about 14,000,000. Are there any other "buggy" apps that might cause my file free to not get above 15,000,000?

the apps I have are:

Pocket Express
    Sprint TV
    Sprint Navigation
    Sudoku
    Vlingo

These are in addition to the typical brickbreaker, memopad, and BB browser that are included on the phone.

Is this a typical file free to have with only these apps? When my phone reboots I have just above 15,000,000 and it slowly drops off. In about 2 - 3 hours it drops to around 13,400,000.

I have read "How to increase blackberry's file free memory" and I always make sure to close my apps.
    Last edited by J_Mod45; 03-16-09 at 12:56 PM.
    03-16-09 12:17 PM
    i've never used pocket express, but i hear it's quite memory intensive when you run it.

i'm not on sprint, so i can't speak to your sprint apps. keep em if you like em, chuck em if you don't.

one thing i did was delete the verizon theme that came with my phone because i never used it and it's not the base for any theme (unlike the default blackberry themes that come with your phones, if you delete, say, the "today" theme, you will have problems running any "today" designed theme in the future). anyhow, that cleared up quite a bit of memory for me.

theme deletion is covered in "how to increase a blackberry's file free memory" if you're interested.

i also deleted brickbreaker cuz i never play it, but that's up to you
    03-16-09 12:32 PM
    So my memory is now at 11,500,000. I had 15,000,000 3 hours ago and haven't added anything to my phone. I have made a few calls, sent some texts, surfed the web a little, and played brickbreaker.(Yeah, its been a slow day at work.) I have closed everything, what's going on?

I only have the blackberry themes on my phone and one from sprint that I am using, so I haven't deleted them
    Last edited by J_Mod45; 03-16-09 at 04:15 PM.
    03-16-09 04:13 PM
    With Os 4.5.131 and all of these Apps Installed i still have 15952476 bytes

BofA - Shortcut
    CB - Shortcut
    TwitterBerry
    Myspace
    Facebook
    Aim
    Yahoo Messenger
    HiddenLight
    iBerry Black White List
    Sprint Nav
    Sprint Tv

Some of the OS have a Memory Leak you must account for the memory to drop no matter what OS you have and any app that runs with all take memory. Ie the we browser every time you load a website it gathers links and page info in the cache which takes up memory
    03-16-09 04:14 PM
    Yup, like kingakuma said, pretty much everything you do on your blackberry will eat up memory in some way, even if you close it properly after. Granted, it won't be eating up as much memory when you close the app vs if you leave it open, but its memory eaten nonetheless.

By the way did you transfer any media to your phone? This also eats up memory.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by redsoxrocker; 03-16-09 at 05:57 PM.
    03-16-09 04:57 PM
    I have an 8gb memory card,I believe all of my media is on that. How can I tell to make sure some didn't stick on the phone?

03-16-09 05:11 PM
    take the media card out and explore your pictures, music, ringtones, etc. if there's nothing there, it's all on your media card
    03-16-09 05:58 PM
    Dang, wish there was an easier way,my otterbox is a pain to get off. I did delete pocket express which bumped my best memory from 15,000,000 to 16,950,000. :-) any idea how to get rid of the shortcut that installs pocket express?

03-16-09 06:06 PM
    i did it some time ago so someone correct me if i'm wrong here (or you'll do it and you'll realize i'm wrong), but i believe if you go into

browser> hit the bb button> bookmarks. it should be one of the bookmarks under WAP bookmarks, or under another title. delete it from here

it sounds like you're at a safe memory stage. ps i deleted my voice activated dialing because i don't use it much (it was on the thread about how to clear up memory) and it really helped. in case you don't use it and you're looking for another way to clear up memory
    03-16-09 06:16 PM
    I have that folder but it is empty. At least it isn't really taking up any of my memory anymore. I like my voice dialing though, I use it quite a bit. Is there any ideas on how I can get my yahoo mail working again?

03-16-09 07:37 PM
    i have no idea, i don't use yahoo, i use gmail.

have you tried forwarding your email? try forwarding it to your .blackberry.net email address.

are you able to send out emails from your blackberry?
    03-16-09 08:07 PM
    I don't think I have signed up for a blackberry account. I can send e-mails, they just don't ever show up in my phone when I receive one. If I forward the e-mails then I won't have them in my inbox and on my phone though, right?
    03-16-09 09:28 PM
    if you create a .blackberry.net email address it only shows up on your phone. it sounds like you might be having trouble with yahoo. have you tried other email accounts (not yahoo) on your phone?
    03-16-09 09:43 PM
    take the media card out and explore your pictures, music, ringtones, etc. if there's nothing there, it's all on your media card
    I never thought to put my ringtones on my media card!!! I'll have to do that when I get my phone back.

ps i deleted my voice activated dialing because i don't use it much (it was on the thread about how to clear up memory) and it really helped. in case you don't use it and you're looking for another way to clear up memory
    I also never thought to delete this app. I absolutely NEVER use voice dialing, makes sense to get rid of it!

I keep learning new things on these forums.
    03-16-09 10:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD