I kept hearing that Vzw had disabled the GPS portion of the pearls? My fiance and I both purchased one last night, and under options / advanced / GPS I was able to turn GPS Services to "Location On". Does this enable vzw to start charging for the feature? I downloaded google maps for mobile and... it worked. It was able to get my location via GPS. Isn't this feature supposed to be disabled? So far loving the phone, too!

Now that I think about it, we didn't actually purchase these "from" verizon, but from "Mobiltron of NY" a retailer Kiosk in the mall, as they were able to get me my new every 2 3 months early. Would this have had any effect?
    Last edited by Fiyawerx; 05-18-08 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Mobiltron
    05-18-08 09:01 AM
    I kept hearing that Vzw had disabled the GPS portion of the pearls? My fiance and I both purchased one last night, and under options / advanced / GPS I was able to turn GPS Services to "Location On". Does this enable vzw to start charging for the feature? I downloaded google maps for mobile and... it worked. It was able to get my location via GPS. Isn't this feature supposed to be disabled? So far loving the phone, too!

Now that I think about it, we didn't actually purchase these "from" verizon, but from "Mobiltron of NY" a retailer Kiosk in the mall, as they were able to get me my new every 2 3 months early. Would this have had any effect?

Actually, I believe Google Maps uses cell towers for location, but I could be mistaken. If that is the case, Google Maps won't work if there are no cell towers around, but GPS would.
    05-18-08 10:37 AM
    For me I use BB maps with an external gps. So this way I don't use data plan. I use the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000. I just love it.
    05-18-08 11:19 AM
    Is there anything free for GPS besides Google? I'm trying to find my coordinates while in my boat on the inland water ways.
    05-18-08 02:08 PM
    Interesting, I turned on the GPS to Location On and it was working. Tried the to and from function and it gave driving directions. I also thought you had to enroll in VZ Navigator for it to work. I bought mine from a VZ Store.
    Turn it back of in case it auto enrolls you to Navigator.
    05-18-08 06:40 PM
    For me I use BB maps with an external gps. So this way I don't use data plan. I use the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000. I just love it.
    Yogi...how does the Freedom Keychain work? What does it look like? Cost? Thanks.
    05-18-08 06:49 PM
    I think "location on" is for 911 purposes.
    05-18-08 06:50 PM
    I think "location on" is for 911 purposes.
    There are two options, one of them is for 911 only, the other is location on. When I first accessed Google maps, it asked if I wanted to grant access to the GPS, and I said yes... altho if google maps doesn't use the built-in gps i'm not sure. I dont think I have any other apps yet to try this with, but is it possible that somehow vzw isn't disabling this any more?

I'm going to leave it on, and keep an eye on my statement, vzw customer service has always been 110%, I doubt it would be a problem to get it reversed. Especially if not actually using / signing up for vzw navigator.
    05-18-08 08:41 PM
    just a quick update: This link will explain whether you are using gps or cell towers to determine your location.
    Mobile
    05-19-08 04:45 PM
    Has Anyone Found Out If You Change Your Gps To Location On Do They Start Charging You ?
    05-22-08 12:25 PM
    Location on enables 911 operations to locate you via GPS. There is not an extra charge for this, but it does use a tiny but more battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-08 01:26 PM
    i have an 8130 and I can't even find gps on mine, is there a program that should have came preloaded or something? its simply not on it, and no, its not hidden!
    05-22-08 01:38 PM
    yogi could you explain how you use gps on your bb? i am with bell too and have no data plan! Thanks

Rob
    05-22-08 04:02 PM
    To see your GPS options go to OPTIONS >> Advanced Options >>> GPS. There you can change what GPS source your phone uses (ie key chain GPS or device GPS) or you can turn location on or turn it to 911 only. 911 only makes is so your phone is accessable to only 911 services.
    05-22-08 04:32 PM
    another question, I installed blackberry maps on my pearl, but can't see any icon or anything...also, when I tried installing google maps, it doesnt work apparently, it starts to load but hangs at 10% and stops...any ideas? I dont have a data plan if that helps
    05-22-08 04:51 PM
    oh one more question, i got google maps working, but it didnt work at the same time because I dont have a data plan...if i was to pair it with bluetooth gps receiver, would I be able to use google maps? or would I still get the same error message? Thanks
    05-22-08 05:28 PM
    oh one more question, i got google maps working, but it didnt work at the same time because I dont have a data plan...if i was to pair it with bluetooth gps receiver, would I be able to use google maps? or would I still get the same error message? Thanks
    05-22-08 05:34 PM
    In order to have real GPS useage on vzw 8130 you have to buy their vz nav. $9.99/mth.
    The google maps works on cell towers, my 8320 isn't GPS but google maps does the same thing as on my 8130.

05-22-08 07:14 PM
    Hey yall. Verizon does not let you use GPS. Google maps only gives you a general area based on Cell towers it is pulling your location from. Sorry, the only true GPS will have to be from either VZnavigator or a seperate Gps unit like the freedom keychain.
    05-23-08 01:29 AM
    Will the Freedom Keychain GPS work with the verizon BB pearl 8130 or if your with verizon you have no other choice but vznav. ?

I'm interested because if the keychain works I will buy it for my BB...
    05-30-08 08:15 AM

Will the Keychain work with Verizon as well?
    05-30-08 08:22 AM
    Will the Keychain work with Verizon as well?
    Also, does it work at the same time as using a Bluetooth headset/handsfree device?
    05-30-08 11:09 AM
    Location on allows location based services like vznav to use the GPS on the phone there is no charge to have location on and it dose not let google maps or BB maps use the GPS for that you have to pay for vznav

05-30-08 02:29 PM
    I imagine using a Bluetooth GPS device would allow google maps to work

05-30-08 04:48 PM
    VZW doesn't disable GPS, nor start charging you if you turn it on. What they have is an agreement with BB to NOT integrate the Pearl's GPS with BB maps -- cause they want you to subscribe to VZNav, which DOES integrate with the Pearl's GPS. Go figure...
    05-30-08 09:42 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD