ok, so i just got my pearl on friday, and love it so far....quick question for all you pearl users...i use gmail for my email...ive already gone into the BIS and set up everythign so i get my gmail on my blackberry..my question is...for you ppl who use gmail, do you have your pc set up so you get your gmail on outlook, and then u get your outlook synched with your blackberry? or do u just use gmail.com on your pc and have it sent to your phone thru there? what is the best way to do it? do you have all ur gmail folders and contacts on ur blackberry or is it just the new messages that get sent to the blackberry? im just confused as to whether i should be using outlook to get my gmail and synching the outlook w the blackberry for email/contacts? thanks and i hope this isnt too confusing
    03-02-08 10:49 PM
    I actually downloaded the Gmail application, so none of my gmail mail is stored on my Pearl. Frees up some space. It doesn't get "pushed" as quickly to the BB, but you can "refresh" whenever you want to sync the new mail immediately if you so choose.
    03-02-08 10:52 PM
    Setting up the Gmail through your BIS will give you all new messages. but you cant separate them into folders.

Unless you have BES, you cant use outlook to sync your mail, BUT you can use it to sync your calender and contacts.

In my PC gmail account, i pretty much never use it. I check it once and a while, to archive and save messages, but 99% of the time, I dont check mail in there.
    I use Outlook to get my mail, but i barely check it there as well, unless its something i need to keep, i will move it to saved.

Hope this helped a little!

And welcome to the CB!!!!!
    03-02-08 10:55 PM
    thanks for the responses guys....

ive read about the gmail app...seems like some like it and some dont...i might download it eventually not sure yet...

as for outlook...how would i set up the outlook to sync my contacts/calender to my bb? and would i have to have my gmail linked to my outlook or no? thx
    03-02-08 11:00 PM
    No, yo don't need to have outlook setup to get your mail.

Install the Desktop Manager, plug your device in, click synchronize, click the configuration tab, and then click on configure sync settings

As to the gmail app, its nice, cause it has folders and such, but i didnt like that it took so long to get the email, thats why i used the BIS setup.
    I have a few gmail accounts, a private one for my friends and family, a public one for message boards, and my ebay/paypal only one.
    I like my messages instantly, because of my ebay/paypal account, i like to get my messages from ebay members quickly, and know when i get paid.
    Last edited by cjcarbone; 03-02-08 at 11:06 PM.
    03-02-08 11:04 PM
    No, yo don't need to have outlook setup to get your mail.

Install the Desktop Manager, plug your device in, click synchronize, click the configuration tab, and then click on configure sync settings

As to the gmail app, its nice, cause it has folders and such, but i didnt like that it took so long to get the email, thats why i used the BIS setup.
    I have a few gmail accounts, a private one for my friends and family, a public one for message boards, and my ebay/paypal only one.
    I like my messages instantly, because of my ebay/paypal account, i like to get my messages from ebay members quickly, and know when i get paid.

ok so you didnt like the gmail app...i was leaning twds not downloading it at this moment anyways...so in order to sync outlook/berry i had to download the destop manager, plus the phone into the pc and click synv, then under configure sync settings so what? sry im just so bad at this stuff, thanks
    03-02-08 11:28 PM
    i wasn't a fan, because of some reasons, but it was a well built app, that worked, and many other people like it

To setup the sync, under the configure tab, click configure button, and then it will pop up the 4 items: Calander, Memo, Address book, tasks.
    click the checkbox next to each one, and it will allow you to setup sync, pick outlook, and it will prompt you oneway handheld, oneway outlook, or 2 way. I choose 2 way, cause if i add something in outlook, or my BB, it will sync both ways.
    03-02-08 11:59 PM
    I prefer the Gmail app because the messages are separated from my Outlook messages. I've tried both ways and agree the app takes ages to reach me, but since my Gmail account is a personal acc, nothing can't wait, so I've sticked to it.

Can't stand my personal email been mixed with work emails, so must separate them!
    03-03-08 01:06 AM

To setup the sync, under the configure tab, click configure button, and then it will pop up the 4 items: Calander, Memo, Address book, tasks.
    click the checkbox next to each one, and it will allow you to setup sync, pick outlook, and it will prompt you oneway handheld, oneway outlook, or 2 way. I choose 2 way, cause if i add something in outlook, or my BB, it will sync both ways.

ok...forgive me for being slow and asking so many questions...BUT...i have my pearl, which verizon transfered my stored contacts onto from my RAZR....ive never used outlook, so right now i have 0 contacts in my outlook...if i download the desktop manager, and then set it for 2 way sync...will that wipe out the contacts on my BB, bc i have 0 contacts on my outlook, or will it keep the contacts on my BB and put all those contacts onto my outlook and then i can always enter a contact on outlook or the bb and it will automatically be put onto the other?
    03-03-08 10:51 AM
    when i add contacts to my bb and then sync they are added to my outlook contacts.

i use gmail BIS, btw.
    03-03-08 10:55 AM
    when i add contacts to my bb and then sync they are added to my outlook contacts.

i use gmail BIS, btw.
    yeah im using the gmail BIS right now too..

do you have your sync set up for one way or 2 way sync? my question is...the first time u set everything up, like if you have zero contacts in outlook but 60 on your BB...do i set it for one way sync so the contacts go from my BB to outlook and then once that happens i can set it for 2 way sync from bb-outlook? im just worried that when i sync for the first time its gonna take the 0 contacts from my outlook and copy that onto my bb and wipe out my contact on the bb?
    03-03-08 10:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD