3. "Properly close" applications
    4. Delete ALL unnecessary items
    5. Limit number of e-mails/texts
    6. Pull the battery frequently
    7. Preform "memory optimization"
    8. Update the OS
    9. Store everything on memory card
    10. Don't look at it funny

Give me a break...if we look at this product from an unbiased standpoint and consider what we have to go through to keep it operating properly, I doubt very seriously that we'd have the same unbridled affection for it.

Don't get me wrong, in the absence of the above, the product is solid. I've had it since it was released by Verizon over a year ago. But I've grown tired of the regular ritual to keep the memory from wasting away.

Bring on the Pre!
    02-13-09 07:57 AM
    I see it as the BlackBerry is a mini computer. It's just like a computer you can't have too many things running or it'll slow down and bring memory down. You have to keep things you don't need out of the computer. And why would you want to keep ALL emails/text and call logs?

I'm just saying.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 10:37 AM
    All I do is close my apps when I'm done and delete my text messages that are over a day old and my Pearl runs great.

About every 3 days, I'll clear my event log and cache. I don't really consider it to be a problem.
    02-13-09 11:01 AM
    I'm sorry, but I'm a total newbie and first time BB owner.

How do you clear cache and event logs?
    02-13-09 11:22 AM
    I have a question too. In the event log there are like three different ones. I noticed the one I've been clearing has the word warning in (). Should I be emptying all three? And yes to the pp. I agree the BB is like a mini computer. Certainly not the average cell phone! No comparison at all!

02-13-09 11:49 AM
    I'm sorry, but I'm a total newbie and first time BB owner.

How do you clear cache and event logs?
    ALT + L,G,L,G
    Menu
    Clear Log

Clear Cache.
    Browser
    Menu
    Options
    Cache Operations

I have a question too. In the event log there are like three different ones. I noticed the one I've been clearing has the word warning in (). Should I be emptying all three? And yes to the pp. I agree the BB is like a mini computer. Certainly not the average cell phone! No comparison at all!

The "Event Log (Warning)" is just a "log" which is the apps you have open, closed, used, etc .
    I don't know if that makes sense.
    02-13-09 11:58 AM
    Agree with everything that's been said. My point is this...we shouldn't have to do these things on a frequent basis.

I guess I have greater expectations for the product and think everyone else should too. The more we make this board a "love fest" over all that is Pearl, the less likely RIM will improve the situation.

Don't ever settle...
    02-13-09 12:26 PM
    watch yourself. youre treading in hazardous water. people round here dont like to hear their their product talked down.
    02-13-09 12:29 PM
    My intent is not to "talk down" the product. This issue is a lot like the "emperor's new clothes" (if you're not familiar with this, google it). Everyone's afraid to call out the obvious.

The concept of the Pearl is perfect. Great form factor and usability. The issue I'm bringing up is performance. I haven't even mentioned the whole "lag" issue on top of the memory leak.

This is how good products become great...people speak up and demand more. As long as we settle and keep "loving it", the Pearl will never be as good as it should be.

Everyone else can keep saying the emperor looks great, but I'll keep saying he's naked and is a fool. Which group do you think is going to make things better?
    02-13-09 12:41 PM
    Dab, you make a good argument, but what would you like RIM to do? Due to the small form factor, the Pearl can't handle as much device memory as other blackberries. You can't load apps to your memory card, nor can you save e-mails or texts to it. Add the amount of memory that suretype eats up, and there's not much left. Currently we live with it b/c we like suretype, we like the small form factor (I wanted a bb I could put into my front pocket), we like lots of things about it. The positives outweigh the negatives, it just takes a bit of vigilance, not a lot, to ensure it runs smoothly.

Without completely redesigning the device, I don't think there's much RIM can do. OS updates can and do help with memory management and battery life. Perhaps there will be a new version of the Pearl that will handle more onboard device memory, but it's not like RIM is going to produce a new device and then offer to retrofit the ones we currently have.
    02-13-09 01:09 PM
    I dont mind the occasional clean up, but I noticed since I upgraded to 4.5 there is considerable more lag and a slight memory leak. BUT, I really like HTML email and docs to go, so I guess I will deal with it.
    02-13-09 01:47 PM
    Very good question...got me thinking...

Here's an idea. In each application when you pull up the menu, there is a bewildering array of options to choose from. How many of these do we really use on a regular basis? How many of these do we really need? For example, when you're in messages and hit the blackberry key, there are 25 things to choose from!

Maybe RIM should talk with 37signals. I really like their philosophy. While most companies think "what else can we put in", they take the opposite approach..."how can we make it simpler".

Just an idea...and that's what we need to really do. Deep discussion, insight, collaboration on how to make a good product great.

Maybe we should start a thread on how to change the world...at least the "Pearl World".
    02-13-09 01:49 PM
    Well I found my memory leak. It was the iBerry 2.0 Today Plus theme I downloaded, the one I had to pay for. I really like the theme but not with the leak. Reverted back to the original Today theme and no more leak!

Just wanted to be clear that the free one offered on here works like a charm, the one I paid for had the leak, it was called 2.0.
    Last edited by rbrooks86; 02-15-09 at 10:41 PM.
    02-14-09 08:14 PM
    Do you really do any of the above on a regular basis with your pearl?

I used a T-Mobile 8100 for 2 years, and now I'm on a Verizon 8130 and I've never done anything except for a battery pull every few days.

Compared to the diseaster 9530 storm that I tried using for the last 2 months, the pearl is rock solid. It's more solid than most other smart phones (iphone included) in my experience.

02-14-09 10:29 PM
    Me again, the newbie with another question.

How do you know when you have a memory leak?
    02-14-09 10:59 PM
    You know you have a memory leak when your phone starts to slow down and you start losing text messages and your call log starts to disappear. The phone will do this in an effort to recapture memory to perform other necessary functions.
    02-15-09 04:25 PM
    You know you have a memory leak when your phone starts to slow down and you start losing text messages and your call log starts to disappear. The phone will do this in an effort to recapture memory to perform other necessary functions.
    Thank you.
    02-16-09 01:50 PM
    1. Clear the event log
    Not needed and not productive. The log is fixed at 2 Kb.

2. Clean out the cache
    Not needed and not productive. The content cache is used by all Browser applications. It is a fixed size at 2 Mb. Deleting it requires downloading the cached content again.

3. "Properly close" applications
    Not needed and not productive. Java is a multi tasking operating system, it manages programs very effectively.

4. Delete ALL unnecessary items
    5. Limit number of e-mails/texts
    Messages, particularly those with attachments consume memory. Purging them when dealt with is good housekeeping

6. Pull the battery frequently
    Not needed and not productive. A stable device will run for months on end.

7. Preform "memory optimization"
    Absolutely essential. Do it once and live happily ever after.

8. Update the OS
    BlackBerry is well aware of the memory constraints, v4.5xx OS has freed up plenty of additional memory with settings changes. Well worth the effort.

9. Store everything on memory card
    Every time.

10. Don't look at it funny
    When you have it optimized, you never have to worry about micromanaging the memory. Java has memory optimization at it's core.

02-16-09 04:24 PM
    So if I'm to understand your comments, all we have to do is update to 4.5 and perform "memory optimization" and everything will be fine? No way!

You're one of those that says the emperor looks great in his "new clothes".

I've done memory optimization...I've updated to 4.5. I pulled the battery this morning and immediately thereafter I had 15.5 mb of memory. Since then, I've taken 2 phone calls, read and deleted 5 e-mails and 2 SMS. I now have 12.0 mb of memory. My Pearl will "auto-off" tonight at 11pm and will "auto-on" at 7am tomorrow morning. At that point, I will have to do another battery pull...guaranteed.

This is not unique to my phone, this is not caused by select applications, it's inherent to the phone. Take a look at all the comments on this forum about memory problem.

We ALL need to stop accepting this and trying to explain it away. It's a problem and it needs to be fixed. More of us need to start saying the emperor is naked and looks like a fool.

Come on everyone...stop being lemmings and help make this a better product!
    02-16-09 08:28 PM
    Didn't even know about that event log. Helped me narrow down some apps chewing up space logging every little thing. Cleared it out and got back like 7mb of memory lol.

02-17-09 01:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD