Bought my wife an ATT Pearl 8110 for Christmas. If this is how all BB's are, THEY SUCK!!!

Sorry for the attitude, but I have spent all morning just trying to get the damn BB Desktop to install and work!! When I put in the CD that came with the phone, my virus software indicated malicious software!!!! WTF??

So I installed it without the malicious scripts, and the phone would connect, but it won't sync outlook!!! Then I re installed ALLOWING the scripts, and then it froze my whole computer!! The only solution was to restart the computer and log on in her profile and remove the software via Control Panel.

I thought BB's were supposed to be the ultimate at business use - syncing calendar, contacts.......

To top it all off, it won't allow me to bluetooth anything from my unlocked Nokia E71.

I hope you guys can help or this thing is going back to ATT before the 30 days are up for dang sure!!!
    12-25-08 01:38 PM
    Sorry you are having problems with your software. I changed my phone with the provider for a new one and now I am very happy with it. The roxio software gave me a head ache too but the rest of the features in the phone and everything is working out fine now...
    12-25-08 01:43 PM
    LMFAO....so take it back to ATT....your loss...or you could calm down
    and download the most recent desktop manager from the RIM website
    I tried that. same result - locks up the computer.

Never had that problem with Nokia PC suite.
    12-25-08 01:49 PM
    sure its not your computer?
    dude nobody is going to beg you to keep that blackberry...go get a Nokia if that works for you...install desktop manager without the Roxio software...find the download that does not include the roxio software ...and try that..roxio is known for "freezing" and taking forever to load
    12-25-08 01:55 PM
    sure its not your computer?
    dude nobody is going to beg you to keep that blackberry...go get a Nokia if that works for you...install desktop manager without the Roxio software...find the download that does not include the roxio software ...and try that..roxio is known for "freezing" and taking forever to load
    I'll give that a try. Thanks.
    12-25-08 01:58 PM
    Brigadier. Sir, welcome to Crackberry. I am Major Disaster .

I am not sure what anti-virus program you are using but I am sure that the BlackBerry Desktop Manageris not threat to your computer.

I suggest that perhaps you obtain a new copy from the Blackberry site here
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22. I reccomend v4.6 with no media manager for an easy install.

I also suggest that you disable your virus checker for the install process.

Next, there is a setup wizard for the various OUtlook function that needs to be done once only. After this is complete, you should be able to sync easily.

I understand your frustration with your new phone and we will all do our best to help you get the best from it. I would therefore ask that you really do maintain a positive attitude. After all, it is Christmas. Thanks.

CrackBerry memebrs will most likey have come across similar problems to yourself and usually a quick search using the Advanced Serach facility will yoeld meaningful results. There is also a BlackBerry 101 lectire seris and a Newboes section. All of these are there to simply help. Also you can ask us.
    12-25-08 02:01 PM
    I can sympthise with your CD install issues. Let me venture a guess, are you are using Windows Vista?

Autorun does not like Vista, I finally got it running using Windows file manager, selecting the startup file with properties set to "Run as Admin..."

The first thing it will do, is call home and suggest you upgrade to the new version. You can bypass the CD install loop.

The link posted above, v4.6 English Language, No media manager is the preferred choice.

Install it will enable your UMA ports and the BlackBerry Desktop Software.

Once that is in place, we can tackle the Bluetooth connections.
    12-25-08 04:11 PM
    I can sympthise with your CD install issues. Let me venture a guess, are you are using Windows Vista?

Autorun does not like Vista, I finally got it running using Windows file manager, selecting the startup file with properties set to "Run as Admin..."

The first thing it will do, is call home and suggest you upgrade to the new version. You can bypass the CD install loop.

The link posted above, v4.6 English Language, No media manager is the preferred choice.

Install it will enable your UMA ports and the BlackBerry Desktop Software.

Once that is in place, we can tackle the Bluetooth connections.
    Windows XP.
    12-25-08 08:56 PM
    Thanks for all the replies and tips.

I am downloading 4.6 w/o Roxio and will give that a try. The version that came with the phone is 4.3.

Sorry for the attitude earlier, but there is no way Blackberry should release software that is this complicated and/or cumbersome.
    12-25-08 08:58 PM
    OK. I got v4.6 installed w/o roxio and the computer is working fine. I hooked up the Pearl to the computer and tried to sync w/Outlook. I went thru the steps to set up the sync options, but it keeps telling me no options have been selescted? So, what do I do now?
    12-25-08 09:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD