Greetings my fellow BB freaks! I was wondering how many out there in the fire and EMS fields use their BB in their jobs. I had a really nice EMS program that I used to use when I had my handheld but they do not support BB unfortunatly. I downloaded Epocrates Rx and it's great for drug information but nothing I really use in the field. I'm looking for something that can do drip rates, burn calcs as far as % and bolus amounts. Just wondering what everyone is using out there, if at all.

Thanks
    05-28-08 10:43 AM
    Hey brother in ems, well epocrates has come and gone from my BB, its size was tremendous, in excess of 9 to 10 MB. I haven't found anything yet to assist with drip math or other drug calcs, but would be as interested in said programs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-08 10:45 AM
    Hey brother in fire service here.

I don't use mine for medical but more for scene photos, and first arriving Engine Company. works great for evaluating calls later on.... Preplanned building works well to with the camera...

But also we get paged we also get alerts on our phones. comes in with the address. So I immediately select it and open goggle maps to get directions to the place in distress. But most calls we are familiar with the area....

Other then that, just doing emails and SMS, with the guys from the Line and station buddies.
    05-28-08 10:52 AM
    Love the berry for ems just wish could fit more programs for it... But to answer ffmedics question I think if you goto handango.com they have a few drip/calc programs for nurses but can be used while working in the bus.
    05-28-08 08:39 PM
    Hey there brothers. Career firefighter here. Evidently the guys over at Hightechfirefighter.com (aka Pocketmobility.com) have been working on porting their Fire/Ems service software over to the Blackberry platform. I have been waiting for a while for them to come out with the Firefighter tools program pack for my berry. It has flow rate calculators, friction loss tables, ICS checklists, training aids, etc.... All the stuff a new guy like me needs. I just wish they would get going and release it already.

Maybe if a bunch of us would email them and pester them they would hurry up.
    05-28-08 08:48 PM
    I think our EMS carries their own berry or pdas. And there's a few in the training academy.

They would never trust us dumb fire fighters. Might try and use it for forcible entry.

The dept just installed toughbooks in all the fire and ems units. Ya know, they just ain't tough enough. Imagine what we would do with a berry. Jam anyone?

Captain/Winnipeg
    05-28-08 09:14 PM
    The Portable Drug Companion is good but a little pricey at $79.

There's also the PEPID Student Nursing Suite for BlackBerry at $179

Ok I found one on the PEPID website just for us EMS Folks at $42.50 for a 24 month subscription.

PEPID EMS - Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Suite

Just for reference the student nursing suite directly from PEPID is $72.50.

edit: Just found PEPID medical calcs but they're not available for the BB and at a price of $49.95 for a 2 year subscription its cheaper to go for the full EMS version that includes the calcs.
    Last edited by ERDude; 05-28-08 at 09:21 PM. Reason: update info
    05-28-08 09:16 PM
    firefighter/paramedic here (Bryan FD Local 1204), i use epocrates rx sometimes. i used to use it a lot back in my palm days, but i have learn a few more drugs since then. now i just have it in case i see a wtf drug name. i also work rural ems in a neighboring county... i use google maps out there. having the segmented distances helps when dispatch is telling me to turn when i see the blue pipe fence or look for the house with the old green chevy truck on cinder blocks. i would really like steadmans dictionary but can't see spending that much when google is just a click away.
    05-30-08 12:11 AM
    As a paramedic I use epocrates all the time. Especially on overdoses because it has the drug interaction section. That's helpful. All the drip calculators I have seen are in nursing programs and are really expensive. Other than that I just use it for videos and crackberry. Sometimes 12 hours in a truck really gets to you. I also keep one random Disney movie on my memory card for any long distance pediatric transfers.

05-30-08 09:18 PM
    I have converted our protocol to html so now I'm trying to figure out how to get it to open up in the BB browser. There is no open command and no file explorer so to speak but it would be handy to have our protocol to reference.
    05-30-08 09:31 PM
    Hello fellow FF'ers & EMS'ers. I am a career paramedic (IAFF Local 3249). I use my BB at work & its on works BES. I found it easier to also carry a PDA for work (EMS pants have a lot of pockets to fill). The programs for EMS are memory hogs, hence the need for the PDA. On the BB I use Google & Wikipedia if I need info on the fly. Epocrates, Archimedes, BioChem, Medical Dictionary, eMedic, Eponyms, ER Suite, Hazmatter, Informed, MedAlert, MedCalc, MobileDDx, Street Drugs, & Wiser are on the PDA. Hope this helps.......
    05-30-08 10:11 PM
    if you have access to any servers throw it up there & bookmark it. better yet web shortcut it to your desktop. if you don't have a server or ppl with one let me know i can throw it up up on one of mine. it'd have to be one of my/my clients domain names but it'd be free.
    05-30-08 11:22 PM
    You guys might find some of these BB apps interesting. http://www.skyscape.com
    Numerous apps for the BB for EMS. Hopefully, after I get my 'berry here in a few weeks, I can work on learning programming for it, and make a few handy calculators like Drip calculators and friction loss calculators.
    06-18-08 03:32 PM
    seems like this thread has been dead for a while but for people upgrading to the storm you have a good amount of space for programs like epocrates with 1gig base memory and shipped with an 8 gig memory card installed, i'm just still waiting for the updated version to be released that works with the storm...
    01-15-09 11:17 PM
    I have converted our protocol to html so now I'm trying to figure out how to get it to open up in the BB browser. There is no open command and no file explorer so to speak but it would be handy to have our protocol to reference.
    iSilo (obtainable here:iSilo) is available for Blackberry. You can convert html documents to iSilo format using iSiloX on your computer & then load locally to the media card.
    01-17-09 11:54 AM
    seems like this thread has been dead for a while but for people upgrading to the storm you have a good amount of space for programs like epocrates with 1gig base memory and shipped with an 8 gig memory card installed, i'm just still waiting for the updated version to be released that works with the storm...
    Epocrates works relatively well with the Storm. If you search the forums for "Epocrates Storm" you'll find links on how to load it onto your Storm. (Sorry about not providing the direct link -- I'm still new to the forums and trying to figure out how to link to posts in other forums.)
    01-17-09 11:56 AM
    I took Adambigge's suggestion and emailed pocketmobility urging them to come out with apps for the BB. I hope some others will follow suit. I have a dept. issued palm that has Scene Commander and Fire Rescue tools but would love to have them on my BB!
    01-17-09 11:37 PM
    Hello all...

Currently I'm a Advanced Care Paramedic student working full time in an urban EMS system...

I currently have loaded on my Storm:
    • Pepid EMS
    • Epocrates
    • Skyscape's Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook

Use them all on a regular basis... both on the street and in my studies.

B.
    03-16-09 09:57 PM
    Hey everyone. NOT in a EMS or FF, but I'm considering joining our local (volunteer crew). Just wanted to send HUGE props to all of you. Thanks for serving is and keeping us safe

emtjaime likes this.
    03-16-09 11:55 PM
    Try out Mobile iTriage on your phone....pretty new but free and pretty cool
    01-26-10 02:05 PM
    anyone else with anything? I know this was a dead thread but let get it going againnnnnn...........
    03-16-10 09:54 AM
    I'm looking for anyone who uses a BB as a primary or secondary dispatch device to be notified of calls.
    11-05-10 01:35 PM
    I don't use it for work really, but I did get the scanner app and also joined the Breaking News Network notification system, so if something is going on, pretty much anywhere, I can find the scanner channel for it and listen in. It's pretty cool during down time at the station or just relaxing at home.
    03-21-11 10:33 AM
    Hey all, FF from Florida, use my BB on a regular basis at work. Google maps, and wiki. Good for pics on MVA with ext, use for training later, or a good 2 or 3 box using the pics to train rookies. Also as the PT instructor/hands on training, use the stop watch, and note pad to record times, and improvements. Be safe out there

04-10-11 10:29 AM
    There is a app for water calculations it's called "firefighter's calculator in BB App world. Try that.

as for EMS, I have been TRYING so hard to find the equivelant of EMS NOTES for the driod for our blackberry but there is no such app! The Iphone has one and the driod but we have been around alot longer you would think someone would make it!
    06-05-11 03:10 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD