I'm a brand new user. I have over 400 names in my address book transferred from my old phone. Too many to just scroll to one.

How do I search for a name that begins with a letter that is the SECOND letter on they keyboard key?

For example, when I want to search for Vet (veterinarian), I want to enter the "v" but only the "c" will come up! The other night my cat was having a life-threatening emergency, and in my distress, I couldn't get to the vet's number! I kept hitting the "cv" key, but only the "c" came up. (The cat lived, but he will need surgery.)

I couldn't figure out how to do it when I was calmer either.
    04-02-08 03:24 PM
    I just had a look at my address book and what I did was hit CV then hit the delete button then hit CV again which gave me V.

Perhaps there is a quicker way though.

Normally when I hit C it brings up names begining with both C & V but then I do not have as many contacts as you.

Welcome to CB!
    04-02-08 03:33 PM
    On my 8100, it brings up both letters on that key. Ex- Pressing the GH key, brings up both G and H names.
    04-02-08 03:34 PM
    Good suggestion, hazy.

Here's what happened:

I select address book.
    A page opens.
    I hit "cv"
    The "c" appears in search window and "c's" come up (lots of them)
    I hit delete and erase the "c"
    The "v" comes up in the search window
    One of the "c" addresses was highlighted during this process,
    When I hit "enter" THAT address entry comes up in the window by itself

????

IOW putting a "V" in the search window still does not take me to the "v's"

?????

______

ETA: I see what you mean... the c's and the v's both come up... so I still have to scroll through through about 25 or so c's to get to the v's... I guess that's not so bad...
    Last edited by Lillieperl; 04-02-08 at 04:00 PM.
    04-02-08 03:57 PM
    Do not hit enter if it is on a name beginning with C, scroll down to VET then hit enter.

That seems to be the only solution (that I know of).
    Last edited by Hazysky; 04-02-08 at 04:40 PM. Reason: LOL, just saw your edit!!!
    04-02-08 04:39 PM
    You need to ignore the "c" and just keep typing. If you push "cv" + "er" + "ty" you will see a display of all address book entries that start with any combination of those three keystrokes, in alphabetical order.

Just keep typing the name you want until your address book gets it narrowed down to one or two entries. If you had actually scrolled through the list after pushing "c" you would have found all entries whose names started with "c" and then all entries whose names started with "v"!! (last name, first name, company name).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-08 10:02 PM
    I've wondered the same thing, but it didn't bother me enough to investigate. Your info worked great though. Thanks.
    04-02-08 10:16 PM
    Thanks, Pashan! Worked like a champ!
    04-02-08 11:54 PM
    Yipee!! Glad I could help! Hope your kitty cat is doing okay! ^_^
    04-03-08 10:42 AM
    ]You need to ignore the "c" and just keep typing. If you push "cv" + "er" + "ty" you will see a display of all address book entries that start with any combination of those three keystrokes, in alphabetical order. [/B]

Just keep typing the name you want until your address book gets it narrowed down to one or two entries. If you had actually scrolled through the list after pushing "c" you would have found all entries whose names started with "c" and then all entries whose names started with "v"!! (last name, first name, company name).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thank you as well. Having come from devices in which each letter had its own key, this one kind of threw me for a loop too. The funny part is that all of us who couldnt figure it out think of entries as letters instead of words; as your example V-E-T instead of CV.
    05-04-08 07:57 AM
    I have found with this issue is when i am in suretype mode i can not scroll to the second letter on the key and when i am in multitap mode i can. i wish i could figure a way to just keep my phonebook in multi tap and text in sure type.
    05-04-08 12:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD