I am still new at to the BB world, this is my file free at the moment 7172042 Bytes

I am wondering if this is in the good or bad range? My pearl isn't really running slow, just want to know so I can be a better BB owner lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 04:37 AM
    This is not very good.

Your phone has 48Mb memory and you need 12 for reliable daily running. You have 7.1.

You have a lack of memory problem. There are fixes. Go to Options, Status and note the File Free number. It's in bytes so divide by 1 million to get Mb. You need about 12Mb for good daily running or the BlackBerry will start deleting stuff just to keep itself running. 5.5Mb is an absolute minimum.

Note the File Free number for comparison later.
    Remove the battery for 30 secs or so and put it back. Once the re-boot is complete, check the file free number again.
    Go to Options, Advanced Options, Applications and scroll down to the BlackBerry Sample Video. Press Menu and select Delete. You just got 2Mb memory back. Again check the File Free number. It should be getting bigger.

Repeat this procedure to remove any unwanted extra languages. You may delete all you want and only reboot once to save time.

Have a look at this post too http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/. It is a very good tutorial on memory management.

Get familiar with your phone and come back here if you need more help.
    04-29-09 04:44 AM
    i think the biggest question is if your phone is acting up. is it lagging? is it deleting messages?

i've heard that with os 4.5, you can run on as low as 5 mb before the phone goes crazy, although i wouldn't let it get that low. i let mine hit 9-10mb before doing a battery pull, just to be on the safe side.

definitely take pete's advice and try to clear up any memory. any free memory is good or more room for other cool apps
    04-29-09 01:28 PM
    I don't seem to have a lot of lag, it just depends. Some apps run slow, but I think its just the apps. I have removed all the languages that I don't need and the sample video long time ago lol. I have been removing apps that I don't use as well

04-29-09 06:04 PM
    How much memory do you now have? If it is less than 12Mb then please be careful.

@redsoxrocker. You are right. I read that too in a RIM publication but they were referring to a BES connected phone. Here you can simply reconcile the phone with the server and get everything back if you wippe your phone - nice.

Also BES types tend not to abuse their phones as we do. The number of 12Mb is really a consensus number on Crackberry. Obviously you can go lower. I had half my phonebook disapear on an 8310 when I had 25Mb file free. We never found an explanation.

The bottom line. More file free memory is better than less.
    04-30-09 01:52 AM
    I am at 7583536 Bytes right now, I am still learning all about BB, I have only had my BB since the first of the year.

I know why its low, I have a lot of apps

CB launcher
    Nascar.com
    Myspace
    Yahoo messenger
    Viigo
    App world
    Google maps (but going to delete it I think)
    I heart radio
    Nobex radio
    Quickpull
    Buzz me
    Weather eye
    Fox news

I think I missed one, but I have also change the setting so it doesn't log anything. I have been using the memory cleaner as well. I also clear the web history too.

I am going to read up on memory management. I have a 4 gig mem card, I have change the setting to 0mb for memory in the media.

04-30-09 02:53 AM
    not hijacking, but i just got my blackberry and also only have about 7 mb free space, i dont see how i have deleted everything
    04-30-09 04:11 AM
    Viigo is a known memory hog and leaker.

To learn more about memory leaks, just search the subject.
    04-30-09 04:59 AM
    http://www.berrycoder.com/maxmem.jad

OTA (from your blackberry browser) download for maxmem app...

use it to delete VAD, (voice activated dialing), although u won't be able to use the Menu>about screen anymore.. no big deal..

switch to the dimension zen theme, then use this to delete all the other themes to free up a nice bit o mem, but know that u prolly wont be able to use a 3rd party theme as they rely on one or two of the defaults...

i would pick one of your radio apps to keep, and one to delte also..

and if you go to Messages, and hit ALt+ P, you'll bring up ur phone log, which you can delte every so often...

u already got the event log set, so use this at ur discretion, then delete it! haha..

Soft Reset app-> OTA http://www.geekandproud.net/blackber.../softreset.jad

use this evry now and again to simulate a battery pull.. and free up temp memory cache etc..

04-30-09 11:30 AM
    *ahem

see u got quickpull... my bad..

fox news could probably go as u have viigo, and did you delete blackberry navigation? docs2go? password keeper?
    04-30-09 11:45 AM
    Last night I got my free file up in the mid 8. I deleted password keeper a long time ago, I just deleted doc 2 go a few days ago. I think I am going to remove fox news, I don't use it much.

I also change my settings in the calander and mesagea' to delete after 15 days.

I use BB maps, since the gps works for it, I like it better then google, just because it is more accurate

04-30-09 05:04 PM
    I dl maxmem, and going to remove vad. But I am leaving the themes cuz I use the one it wants to delete.

I have a question, I know one of the ways save memory is to use a mem card, I do, all my ringtones are on it. But for some reason the few pics that I have or had were on the device mem. This may seem like a dumb question but how do I make sure pics get saved to the mem card?

04-30-09 05:19 PM
    I dl maxmem, and going to remove vad. But I am leaving the themes cuz I use the one it wants to delete.

I have a question, I know one of the ways save memory is to use a mem card, I do, all my ringtones are on it. But for some reason the few pics that I have or had were on the device mem. This may seem like a dumb question but how do I make sure pics get saved to the mem card?

Go to Camera, press Menu>>Options>>Store Pictures anfd change the option to Media Card.

04-30-09 05:26 PM
    I already had that option selected, was I was trying to ask is, I have pics that are saved on the device memory, or I did. But how do you move them, I went in to options, and move, but the only opition it gave me was device memory.

As of now, my free file is at 11320912, I deleted VAD, so that helped.

I also deleted the my VZW app, to me its one of those apps that I can just DL to use then delete. I am not going to use it all the time.
    04-30-09 07:00 PM
    Thanks for all the Help
    04-30-09 07:00 PM
    Oh, to move a pic from device memory to media card, simply highlight the picture, press Menu and select Move and move it to Media Card

04-30-09 07:15 PM
    Did you remove the carrier theme?

05-01-09 07:41 AM
    I already had that option selected, was I was trying to ask is, I have pics that are saved on the device memory, or I did. But how do you move them, I went in to options, and move, but the only opition it gave me was device memory.

As of now, my free file is at 11320912, I deleted VAD, so that helped.

I also deleted the my VZW app, to me its one of those apps that I can just DL to use then delete. I am not going to use it all the time.
    you should be able to move them, just selct the folder 'pictures' on your media card.. ya gotta click the folder icon when you select move..

also when you selct the media icon, and u got the music, pics, voicenotes etc screen,... hit menu>options

and set 'device mem limit' to 5mb and 'reserved picture mem' to 0mb..
    05-04-09 01:47 PM
    Did you remove the carrier theme?

Many things can be managed from the BlackBerry, but not themes.

In order to remove your carrier theme, use CrackMem and follow the instructions in Help.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/cra...eleased-52044/
    05-04-09 02:06 PM
    @pete6 i totally hear ya on the 12mb memory thing. i have about 15 mb after a batter pull, but what i had meant was that i let it drop to about 9 mb before a battery pull (i don't start at that).

like you said, more free memory, the better
    05-04-09 02:11 PM
    My wife has a 8130 running 4.5.77. I've heard that after upgrading to 4.5.131 or .138 you do get some extra memory (Plus some fixes).

I think I'll give it a try tonight.
    05-05-09 10:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD