Hello, I am new to the forums and new to blackberry. I am eligible to upgrade my phone this Saturday 2/7. I am on the carrier Verizon. I am looking at the Pearl 8130 in Silver.

Here are my questions:

1) Is it possible to get my contacts from a different non-bb phone over to my Pearl? My old phone will not sync with my computer.

2) Will the pearl be able to sync with my calendar on my Macbook?

3) Is this a good time to buy the Pearl, or should I wait a few months and see if a newer model comes out, I was looking on the Rumors forum and someone says a Pearl Flip will be coming to Verizon.

4) Can you download apps straight to the Pearl?

5) Can I sync an email address with Gmail?

6) What are some free productive Apps for the Pearl that I should look into downloading

7) Do you have any regrets from buying the Pearl? Do you wish you had gotten the Curve, or any other BB? Any Tips?

Thanks,

CJ
    02-03-09 01:01 PM
    02-03-09 01:18 PM
    Hello, I am new to the forums and new to blackberry. I am eligible to upgrade my phone this Saturday 2/7. I am on the carrier Verizon. I am looking at the Pearl 8130 in Silver.

Here are my questions:

1) Is it possible to get my contacts from a different non-bb phone over to my Pearl? My old phone will not sync with my computer.
    Try the Switch Device wizard on the Desktop Manager
    2) Will the pearl be able to sync with my calendar on my Macbook?
    got me
    3) Is this a good time to buy the Pearl, or should I wait a few months and see if a newer model comes out, I was looking on the Rumors forum and someone says a Pearl Flip will be coming to Verizon.
    I have the Flip (tmo) and it's a good device. If you're not looking for a full QWERTY keyboard, I suggest you looking at it. You could go by a T-Mobile store and look at it.
    4) Can you download apps straight to the Pearl?
    Yes, it's called OTA (Over The Air) kind of like the iPhone App Store. Not all apps are OTA though.
    5) Can I sync an email address with Gmail?
    Yes - it's very easy using the email wizard on the BB.
    6) What are some free productive Apps for the Pearl that I should look into downloading
    I'll post this under a different reply
    7) Do you have any regrets from buying the Pearl? Do you wish you had gotten the Curve, or any other BB? Any Tips? I've had 3 different Pearls (8100, 8120 and now the 8220) and I was happy with all of them. The major difference is the full QWERTY keyboard and the screen size.

Thanks,

CJ
    See my comments in RED.
    02-03-09 01:26 PM
    Applications that I use:
    Free OTA Apps
    Google Mobile App. Google mobile dashboard
    FreeRange Better than Viigo
    Yahoo! Go Yahoo! mobile dashboad
    CrackBerry Launcher Launch the CB wap version with one click
    Superpages Mobile Another good dashboard
    Opera Mini The "other" mobile browser
    http://"http://express.handmark.com/...Pocket Express Handmark's dashboard
    BibleReader (BB beta) BB bible reader (bibles on the media card)
    WeatherEye Push weather application
    Boopsie A search engine...kind of
    Plusmo Widget app
    BBLight Manage your backlight
    Free (via PC)
    Box.net Online storage (PC and BB)
    MaraTick A great checklist (search the site)
    Ascendo DataVault Best eWallet app for the BB (IMO)
    02-03-09 01:28 PM
    I am not sure if the switch device wizard will work since you are going from a non berry to a berry. They will do it at the store though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 04:30 PM
    i have a pearl, and i do wish i had a bigger screen and a full qwerty keyboard. i got the pearl because i wanted something i could slip into my back pocket (when i was in college last year i would often leave home with just my phone and keys, but these days, i always have a purse with me, so i do wish i got the curve...

just a thought if screen size and qwerty keyboard is something you like, definitely consider the curve.
    02-03-09 08:31 PM
    i am a HS student who receives daily emails but does not respond or type too many. I text a whole lot and really like the portability of the Pearl. I liked the idea of the SureType but is it not as good as I think?

I think my Dads going with a 1 year so if I do not like it then I can get a new one then. Or if i do not like it in the first 30 days then I can return it for the Curve through Verizon.
    02-03-09 11:47 PM
    Personally, I love the Pearl, and have no issues with the SureType.....I'd say try it.....
    02-04-09 07:15 AM
    i don't have all the answers to your questions, as i've only had my pearl for a few months. but a few things:

as for the gmail issue, i have it working flawlessly, it just needs to be set up properly.

so far, i have no regrets, the only thing is i'm a complete addict now and i want every single blackberry out there, mainly because i'm crazy, not because there's anything wrong with the pearl!

one thing i would keep in mind is that there are a few new bb's coming to verizon later in there, like you said, i think the flip, and also a version of bold. perhaps a new curve? if size is a deciding factor for you then i would definitely go with the pearl. the bold is quite large, even though the screen is gorgeous. if you think you can wait, maybe you can see what else is available in a few months (i believe it's may '09).

you also may want to look through these forums and read a little bit about the memory issue that the pearl has, it's a very common problem, though easily resolved. but if you don't want to deal with it, i would recommend a different bb.

i hope this helps at least a little!
    02-04-09 08:31 AM
    ive had my pearl about a few weeks now... No regrets at all. I like the size as i want to be able to carry in my pocket when im not carrying my purse. I am totally addicted and cant see myself with any other phone at this point. I think i have finally gotten all of the apps i want and my phone is now perfect for me. I will tell you that i am pretty good with computers but the first day i received my bb i thought i would throw it out the window. I was very frustraited. So please if you go for it give it a few days. By the third day and thanks to everyone here i was getting the hang of it although i am sure i made everyone here crazy.. I am now completely in love. I have been with verizon for about 8 years and this is by far the best decision on a upgrade i have ever made. Worth the extra monthly fee...
    02-04-09 09:56 AM
    pearl is a great phone but the curve is better
    02-04-09 10:26 AM
    i did in fact see some posts on the memory issues such as these:

Are you having problems with your Blackberry & Verizon? Read and post here....

and

How to Increase BlackBerry's File free memory

(it says I cannot post a link until I obtain 10 posts)

In the first article it mentions wiping the phone completely and installing the free blackberry default files.

In the second article it talks about using an app to do an OTA install of MaxMem, an App that will make some space for you. Then he goes on the say that there is a more advanced way using your computer. Unfortunately, I own a Apple MacBook and the drivers are for Windows Computers.

How exactly do you backup your Pearl? As I skim through this site I see a lot of people going from the Pearl to the Curve. Right now, I have a Samsung Alias which has a full QWERTY keyboard. I am starting to think that maybe I should just stay with the keyboard and go with the curve. I have around 150 contacts and in then first article the guy mentioned that his phone used to freeze around 86 contacts on the Pearl.

Will I need a Windows based computer to run backups and updates?

I am a guy and therefore do not have a purse to carry around a Curve in, is this phone pocket-able?

Lastly why would you choose the Pearl over the Curve or the Curve over the Pearl?
    02-04-09 11:32 AM
    I took the plunge, and love the Pearl. Gmail app works well, Suretype has only failed me when I was reading as I typed. There are tons of great apps to add to it.
    02-05-09 07:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD