Looking into purchasing an HTLM e-mail add-on.

Which one is better? Empower Pro or the BBS SMart? They are basically the same price...$25 for BBS and $30 for Empower.

Any suggestions would be a big help!

Thanks.
    02-18-08 11:52 AM
    I use Empower and it's great. Be aware though that when the version 4.5 OS comes out, it will offer native HTML support, so if you have the patience, you might want to wait.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-08 12:06 PM
    any timeframe for when 4.5 comes out for Verizon?
    02-18-08 12:16 PM
    any timeframe for when 4.5 comes out for Verizon?
    Nope... tho Verizon doesn't necessarily have to release it. As i'm running an OS from Alltell currently.
    02-18-08 12:58 PM
    Most of the 4.5 improvements are for BES, though.
    02-18-08 01:21 PM
    Looking into purchasing an HTLM e-mail add-on.

Which one is better? Empower Pro or the BBS SMart? They are basically the same price...$25 for BBS and $30 for Empower.

Any suggestions would be a big help!

Thanks.
    Old thread, but I have exactly the same issue, not sure which of the two to buy. Any suggestions based on current versions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I can't seem to get pictures to load in both apps, any tips? Have played with the settings to exhaustion.

Thanks,
    Florian

01-03-10 08:47 AM
    The OS is the same, BIS or BES. With 4.5 OS, and email attachment service installed, there's no purpose to buying and weighing down your memory with a 3rd party app. It won't give you any better quality email viewing.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!
    WAPers do it With A Passion

01-03-10 09:20 PM
    The OS is the same, BIS or BES. With 4.5 OS, and email attachment service installed, there's no purpose to buying and weighing down your memory with a 3rd party app. It won't give you any better quality email viewing.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

Thanks for your quick reply Wulf. I haven't got BIS or BES, I am using shangmail and have downloaded the relevant service books to use the native email client. Shouldn't I be able to get html emails then? Or are they somehow dependent on having BIS/BES?
    Is there a work around?

Thanks,
    Florian
    01-03-10 11:22 PM
    Thanks for your quick reply Wulf. I haven't got BIS or BES, I am using shangmail and have downloaded the relevant service books to use the native email client. Shouldn't I be able to get html emails then? Or are they somehow dependent on having BIS/BES?
    Is there a work around?

Thanks,
    Florian
    It has to be one or the other. BIS is BlackBerry Internet Service, and what all personal BB's with data are on. BES is BlackBerry Enterprise Service, and what a business BB would be on. If you don't have html email, it's because when your OS was installed, Attachment Services wasn't checked off. You can try running loader.exe, and installing it, but I've had to load the complete OS to get it to work once it's not on. What OS are you on right now? This might be the perfect time to upgrade too.
    01-03-10 11:35 PM
    It has to be one or the other. BIS is BlackBerry Internet Service, and what all personal BB's with data are on. BES is BlackBerry Enterprise Service, and what a business BB would be on. If you don't have html email, it's because when your OS was installed, Attachment Services wasn't checked off. You can try running loader.exe, and installing it, but I've had to load the complete OS to get it to work once it's not on. What OS are you on right now? This might be the perfect time to upgrade too.
    I am on 5.0.0.321 (straight from the shop), but am considering upgrading to .423.
    Just to make that clear, I have not BIS or BES. I am on a prepaid plan and run my data over a separate data package, which is not linked to BlackBerry, just to my carrier. It's probably similar to the BoostBerry setup I guess.
    Is that a problem though?
    01-04-10 02:37 AM
    Well if it's the same as BoostBerry, you can't send or receive attachments, so there's no html to view. All the email is being received plain text. A google search of BoostBerry turns up several tutorials, but none on html email I could find. You can check your core apps to see if the appropriate app is installed though, just for crap and giggles.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

01-04-10 04:47 AM
    Well if it's the same as BoostBerry, you can't send or receive attachments, so there's no html to view. All the email is being received plain text. A google search of BoostBerry turns up several tutorials, but none on html email I could find. You can check your core apps to see if the appropriate app is installed though, just for crap and giggles.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

Thanks for looking into it. I have the attachment app in the core apps, but I guess that does not help me? Why not though?
    Haven't fully understood that yet...
    01-04-10 05:24 AM
    You have the current flagship BlackBerry smartphone, on a plan with very limited smarts. If you want all the features possible, such as BBM, you need to get a full plan.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

01-04-10 05:51 AM
    You have the current flagship BlackBerry smartphone, on a plan with very limited smarts. If you want all the features possible, such as BBM, you need to get a full plan.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

Thanks, I am fully aware of that. However, quite a few smarts are available through workarounds for people who have the time and nerve to do so. But I totally agree, the best and easiest way to use all features is with a full plan.

Thanks again for your help.
    Florian
    01-04-10 07:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD