My company has Microsoft Exchange for our emails. I set up my new pearl through the web interface on the BB and followed the prompts. Everything works great, but I receive emails on my computer immediately, and then they take almost 20 minutes to get to my BB and I sometimes never get them at all. Could it be that the missing emails are because I file my emails into Folders in Outlook before they have a chance to "push" to the BB server to get directed to my BB?

I tend to get multiple emails all at once, so it seems to me that the process that pushes the emails to the BB server runs maybe every 10 minutes or so? Which would explain why they tend to get to my device in batches. Is there a way to speed up this process? I can't use the Desktop redirector as I run off a notebook that I carry with me. Do I even have the process for the email transfer correct?

I'm a new convert from a Treo, so bear with me.

Thanks!
    12-31-07 02:52 PM
    If Outlook is running and pulling the emails into personal folders then, yes, the emails may not ever make it to your BB.

The BIS system polls your account every 15 minutes. If it finds an email then it polls every 5 minutes until it doesn't find any more and then it goes back to every 15 minutes. If those emails have dropped into your personal folders and deleted off the server then you won't ever get them on the device.
    12-31-07 02:56 PM
    Happy New Year!

That's how I did it:

I'm on BIS, so I created an alias address on exchange, with the blackberry email (which is push). After that, I change the "sent" email address from the BIS webpage to be the same with exchange's (so it looks like it sent from my computer).

Then, I forward all emails from exchange, to be delivered to both; account and alias.

So, everything is delivered same time, both on my computer and my blackberry
    Last edited by vegos; 01-01-08 at 02:03 AM.
    01-01-08 01:58 AM
    Glad you got it taken care of!
    01-01-08 02:23 AM
    I have tried the Exchange alias, but then the emails don't reflect back and forth. For instance, if an email is read on my BB, then as of now, it is reflected as read in my Inbox. If i create an alias, that kind of "syncing" doesn't occur. I was just wondering if there was anyway to edit the BIS settings or if anyone knew a work around.

Thanks so much for your help!
    01-02-08 07:56 AM
    I get the email on my BB 1-2 minutes before it shows up on my desktop.
    01-02-08 08:13 AM
    Blackbeard, what method are you using to redirect your emails that you get them that quick?
    01-02-08 08:18 AM
    I'm not smart enough to know the technical details but here is what I'm doing:

My company email = [email protected].

My computer tech people have synched my email with Outlook on my desktop. So I assume all emails are routed through my company first and then to me. Not sure why it comes faster to my BB than my desktop.

Sorry, I realize that wasn't helpful.
    01-02-08 11:06 AM
    No problem, thanks for the info anyway!
    01-02-08 11:12 AM
    I am having this same problem. Most emails take about 10-15 minutes to reach my Blackberry after it hits my inbox. Sometimes it's shorter, but the avg time is 10-15 minutes. I've had several different Blackberrys and every Blackberry I have had, the mail actually arrives either before or at the exact same time as it hits my inbox. Any ideas??? I travel alot for work, so I need the emails to hit my Blackberry immediately so that I can make a quick reply... Someone mentioned it polls every 15 and 5 minutes, can we make it every 1 minute like in Outlook?
    01-02-08 03:55 PM
    Scoobydoobydrew: If you have a spare server, or are able to install software on the exchange server, you could try BlackBerry Professional Software (read BES Express), which is free (i think), and will give you true push email functionality. Do a search on blackberry.com for more info. (even comes with free tech support to help you get it set up)....also requires a possible upgrade to your user's data plans, which could cost you some money.
    01-02-08 06:56 PM
    I am having this same problem. Most emails take about 10-15 minutes to reach my Blackberry after it hits my inbox. Sometimes it's shorter, but the avg time is 10-15 minutes. I've had several different Blackberrys and every Blackberry I have had, the mail actually arrives either before or at the exact same time as it hits my inbox. Any ideas??? I travel alot for work, so I need the emails to hit my Blackberry immediately so that I can make a quick reply... Someone mentioned it polls every 15 and 5 minutes, can we make it every 1 minute like in Outlook?
    sounds like you set yourself up on the BIS email, not the BES.

Basic difference: BIS = 15 minute delay ... BES = 0 minute Delay

Easiest way to figure out which one you're on is to open a email, scroll up to the top, and check the "received using" field. If it says "Desktop (Secure)", then its BES, if it says "<your email>" then its BIS.

There's no way to change the polling cycle of the BIS servers...they're controlled on RIM's end.
    01-02-08 06:59 PM
    Again I'm not an expert, but the $30 plan did not work for me. I had to upgrade to the Enterprise $40 plan. Maybe that's why it works better\faster?
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-03-08 04:44 PM
    sounds like you set yourself up on the BIS email, not the BES.

Basic difference: BIS = 15 minute delay ... BES = 0 minute Delay

Easiest way to figure out which one you're on is to open a email, scroll up to the top, and check the "received using" field. If it says "Desktop (Secure)", then its BES, if it says "<your email>" then its BIS.

There's no way to change the polling cycle of the BIS servers...they're controlled on RIM's end.

My company does not have BES - can I still have it on my plan and use it to sync immediately? I had started using the Blackberry Desktop redirector, and it works great - the emails hit my BB before my outlook inbox, but I'm afraid over night or over the weekend my computer would shut off if we loose electricity, etc.....

Can I have BES without my company having it?
    01-04-08 08:52 AM
    There is no problem with having the BES service on you're account even it you're company doesn't run the BES server, but having the plan doesn't automatically enable you to sync immediately....it gives you the abbility to connect to a BES, but its the BES that provides the immediate sync functionality.

As a different example, take basic cable and digital (HD) cable. You can subscribe to basic cable or digital cable, but without a HDTV capable TV, you can't take advantage of the digital cable.

basic cable = BIS service
    digital cable = BES service
    HDTV TV = BES server at work
    immediate wireless sync = watching HD programs.

hope this example helps
    01-06-08 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD