Hey Everyone,

Wow, what a great site. First post/question here for me. 2 days ago I bought the Pearl 8130 for Sprint. For the most part I love this phone...still can't get over how much smaller it is than my old Treo 650.

I have 2 Comcast email addresses that I put on my Pearl but it takes anywhere between 5-45 minutes for them to finally arrive on my phone. The guy at the Sprint store told me this was an issue to Comcast and the Gmail is delivered much faster.

So I set up a Gmail account and (to my surprise) my gmails are delivery VERY fast to my Pearl...usually within a few seconds !!

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Does anyone know a way to speed up the delivery to your BB phone for personal emails?

Thanks,

Ed
    12-22-07 09:24 PM
    I have 2 sbcglobal, 1 gmail and 1 exchange account and haven't noticed a delay.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-07 09:38 PM
    Hello. I also getta delay from my @verizon.net account but my gmail goes threw sooo fast.. I might start using that as my primary account...
    12-22-07 09:42 PM
    WOW again, thanks for the fast response. Is this one of the biggest BB users site?

Phantm777 - LOL! Thats exactly what I was thinking of doing...using the gmail account as my primary account.

orle8050 - Did you have any problems getting your Pearl connected with Exchange email. My I.T. dept at work hasn't figured it out yet.

Thanks,

Ed
    12-22-07 10:00 PM
    No problems with Exchange. Does your IT department have a Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES)that is the easy way of doing it.

If not, you can using Desktop Redirector but you have to have a computer at work that you can leave on 24hours a day in order for it to work.
    12-22-07 10:06 PM
    No problem ed.. I was a bit "leary" about setting and syncing a g mail account .. herd about alotta problems.. but i did it and my mail gets there sooo fast... Kinda liking this pearl still trying it 4 30 days w sprint but there data plans r cheaper than my verizon treo... might have to make the switch... BTW NE1 know how to get verizon to let you do another upgrade.. long story short I was up 4 my upgrade so i gotta samsung sch-i760 but didnt really like it, sold it on e bay went back to my treo now I'm stuck 4 2 yrs.. so anyone know how to get them to let you do another upgrade.......
    12-22-07 10:21 PM
    Threaten to cancel for one reason or another and they should let you do another upgrade to keep you for another 2 years.
    12-22-07 10:25 PM
    Thx orle,, I kinda tried that this aft. onna chat session on there website.. she told me i was stuck for 2 more years.. I threatened to leave she said to go to a store to cancel my account... sucks.... been with them for over 10 years when they were bell mobile... and they cant even let you do another upgrade....
    12-22-07 10:32 PM
    Hey Orle,

Yes, we have a BES at work. The thing is that everyone in the company is using Blackberry phones through AT&T. I didn't want to switch cuz (I have 3 phones on Sprint. Do you know if BES will work with multiple carriers?

I always thought they were independent of carriers.

Thanks again,

Ed
    12-23-07 09:15 AM
    Hey Orle,

Yes, we have a BES at work. The thing is that everyone in the company is using Blackberry phones through AT&T. I didn't want to switch cuz (I have 3 phones on Sprint. Do you know if BES will work with multiple carriers?

I always thought they were independent of carriers.

Thanks again,

Ed
    They are independant of carriers. You need to make sure that you have the right level of data service with Sprint first, though. You require "BlackBerry Enterprise Service", which might cost you a bit more, but without it, you can't activate to a BES.

In regard to the first post about email delay, it is normal for a 5-15 minute delay, as the BIS servers don't continually monitor all email account, and just poll your account every 15 minutes. With gmail (and aol, i think), they have set up agreement with RIM to notify the BIS servers when email arrives in those accounts, and then the BIS servers can go and retrieve the emails right away.
    12-23-07 11:20 AM
    Thanks Chuck,

Great information. I signed up for a Sprint plan that included unlimited email, text, navigation and internet. I will try to confirm that this is the one you are talking about. Although I'm pretty sure that my data plan wasn't the issue, it was more of a technical problem where the Pearl (8130) just wasn't seeing the BES at work.

Ed
    12-23-07 12:03 PM
    If you have the Sprint $30 plan with unlimited text and naviagtion, you can't use BES on your device, which could be why your pearl wasn't seening BES.

You have to switch to the $40 data plan and pay additional for unlimited text $15 and unlimited naviagtion $10 = total of $65 and use can use BES at work.

What I did was get the $30 plan and set up desktop redirector but I have a computer at work that I can leave on 24hours and to receive instant Exchange emails.

So, what are your plans?
    12-23-07 12:22 PM
    Thanks Chuck,

Great information. I signed up for a Sprint plan that included unlimited email, text, navigation and internet. I will try to confirm that this is the one you are talking about. Although I'm pretty sure that my data plan wasn't the issue, it was more of a technical problem where the Pearl (8130) just wasn't seeing the BES at work.

Ed
    It's never the device's fault...its either the plan (carrier controlled), your mail box (IT Department controlled), or the company's firewall/spam filter (IT Department controlled).

Enterprise Activations are a very complex, yet very simple thing...The BB creates a data packet that gets sent to RIM's NOC, which sends an email to the email you specified on the BB. This email needs to arrive in the inbox, unaltered in any way. If it does, then the BES picks up the email, gathers the PIN number of the device from it, and can then communicate directly back to the device through the NOC.
    Things go wrong when the carrier/NOC block this activation message because you haven't subscribed to the right plan, or when this message gets blocked, filtered or modified on your company's side of things by a firewall/spam filter or personal Outlook security settings.
    Sometimes is also as simple as the email address being typed on the BB is wrong, or contains a typo.

Hope this helps
    12-23-07 12:30 PM
    I have 2 Comcast email addresses that I put on my Pearl but it takes anywhere between 5-45 minutes for them to finally arrive on my phone. The guy at the Sprint store told me this was an issue to Comcast and the Gmail is delivered much faster.
    Ed
    The sprint rep is correct about the comcast issue. I have an 8130 on Vzw's network and I use it push email from 2 comcast accounts and 1 gmail account. My comcast mail has always been delayed but gmail comes through right away. I called Vzw and they informed me that it was a comcast issue as well. They told me that what some comcast users were doing was forwarding their comcast email to their blackberry.net email address and the emails come right through. The only problem with that method though is that you can't send email from that address if you have a forward setup.
    12-23-07 01:00 PM
    Great information everyone, thank you so much. I am going to confirm with our IT dept that my $30 plan is indeed "not enough" to get my work emails.

I wonder what plan you need if you had AT&T? I was considering switching to AT&T because they get all the cool/new phones first but Sprints data plan was so much cheaper. Now if it will cost me..

$40 - unlimited data
    $15 - unlimited text
    $10 - unmimited navigation
    ---------------------------
    $65 - total/month

It seems like AT&T might actually have the better data deal.

I hope this isn't the case. I originally wanted a Curve but it wasn't available on Sprint so I got the Pearl. To my (complete) surprise...the Pearl turned out to be the best (gadget) surprise I've ever had. I really dont want to leave it...or the Sprint EVDO speeds. But then again, the main reason I decided to get a crack...err BLACKBERRY was so I can keep up with my work emails. I literally get about 200 a day.

Guess I have about 26 days left to decide if I'm going to return this (awesome) device.

Thanks again,

Ed
    12-23-07 11:34 PM
    GMail with POP is going to be instant push. GMail with IMAP is going to be delayed. If your company has OWA for email, you can have your email (and just your email - no contacts, calendar, etc) sent to your BB via BIS.
    12-23-07 11:47 PM
    I have sprint service and get work email (exhange server mail) via BB desktop redirector. I get my personl mail via the BIS service. It works great...no issues at all. You should try to set that up before you switch to the BES plan.

Also, in answer to the BIS mail delay questions, Gmail and Yahoo have an agreement with RIM to push email instantly. AOL does not. If you want your mail instantly, forward your mail to a Gmail or Yahoo or Blackberry.net mail address.
    Last edited by tce921; 12-24-07 at 09:34 AM.
    12-24-07 09:31 AM
    ATT BES access is a bit pricey too... you're looking at $19.99 for unlimited texts and $44.99 for BES access, on top whatever voice plan you have. I didn't look into their gps pricing.
    12-24-07 04:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD