It's been discussed before that the only way to disable the camera functions is through BES.

Now, I am not part of a BES group and I was wondering if it is possible for me to go to a BES admin and have that person somehow add my to teh corp group, then adjust the camera policy.
    Afterwords remove me from the BES so I can continue with a phone that doesn't have a camera.

Is this possible or even feasible ? I know nothing about BES, I am just a personal user.

Thanks.

PS: I need to disable my teenagers camera
    12-10-09 08:32 PM
    That might work, if:
    1. You are good friends with a BES admin who's willing to do it.
    2. The BES admin would have activate the BlackBerry on the network, push an IT Policy that deactivated the camera, then remove the BlackBerry from the network, leaving the IT Policy in place.

Your teen can easily remove the IT Policy if he / she knows how to search CrackBerry for the solution.
    12-10-09 09:55 PM
    That might work, if:
    1. You are good friends with a BES admin who's willing to do it.
    2. The BES admin would have activate the BlackBerry on the network, push an IT Policy that deactivated the camera, then remove the BlackBerry from the network, leaving the IT Policy in place.

Your teen can easily remove the IT Policy if he / she knows how to search CrackBerry for the solution.
    well, that might be the route I need to go since there really is no other easy way to accomplish this, right?

PS: unless there is an item anywhere in plain sight that says "click to enable camera" there is no way she'd figure out how to do it
    12-10-09 10:00 PM
    I'm just wondering what you child could have done that would make you want to disable the camera?
    12-10-09 10:06 PM
    nothing terrible, just stupid teenager stuff at school. it's just a precaution so she's not being incriminated next time they have a problem. She's a good kid !

Thing is, she doesn't really use the camera much but loves the phone. I don't want to punish her with replacing the phone because her friends do dumb things. I just want to be able to demonstrate that her camera is disabled next time the situation calls for it
    And no, I am not going to get her an 8830 !

I wish there was an easier way to disable the camera by deleting a camera specific system file or something along that line.
    Last edited by Frogbone; 12-10-09 at 10:14 PM.
    12-10-09 10:12 PM
    You could contact your carrier and disable MMS from her phone.
    12-10-09 10:16 PM
    You could contact your carrier and disable MMS from her phone.
    That would only prevent sending pictures already taken
    12-10-09 10:18 PM
    That would only prevent sending pictures already taken
    Wouldn't it also disable her from receiving MMS? You could maybe even disable SMS too, so she cannot send or receive text or picture messages.

Parental Controls – From Sprint
    Last edited by lak611; 12-10-09 at 10:27 PM.
    12-10-09 10:25 PM
    Wouldn't it also disable her from receiving MMS? You could maybe even disable SMS too, so she cannot send or receive text or picture messages.
    I think I was a bit too cryptic in my reasoning for doing this.

A couple kids started rumour about other kids taking pictures in the gym area. Of course all **** broke lose and the administration demanded to check all the kids' phones. As you can imagine some had no problem with that but others pointed to privacy intrusion...(kids watch Law & Order )..

Anyways, no pictures were found but that wasn't good enough. It was assumed that the pictures were deleted before anyone could check the phones.

My daughter had her phone check right away as she knew she didn't do anything wrong and just went along with the checks.

Of course I found out about it after the fact and we had a discussion. As I mentioned, she doesn't use the camera on the phone, she rather uses her nice digital camera. She doesn't like the fact that someone could still accuse her unless her camera would be disabled. She'd feel better if she could just show them that the camera isn't working and therefore she couldn't have taken any pictures when in doubt.

So..what to do ??
    12-10-09 10:33 PM
    I'm not sure... but would it be possible to use BBSAK to remove the camera application?

Edit... verified. I deleted "net_rim_bb_camera.cod" with BBSAK... the phone rebooted, and the camera function was no longer there. Completely disabled. I saved the file before deleting it, and was also able to restore it (and the camera function) without issue.

The video recorder was still there... but if you don't have a sd card in the phone, then that is a non issue (because the application closes if you don't have a card installed)
    Last edited by wilburyan; 12-13-09 at 09:55 PM.
    12-13-09 09:01 PM
    I'm not sure... but would it be possible to use BBSAK to remove the camera application?

Edit... verified. I deleted "net_rim_bb_camera.cod" with BBSAK... the phone rebooted, and the camera function was no longer there. Completely disabled. I saved the file before deleting it, and was also able to restore it (and the camera function) without issue.

The video recorder was still there... but if you don't have a sd card in the phone, then that is a non issue (because the application closes if you don't have a card installed)
    That's awesome ! Thank you so much !

I assume that if there is a software update that I have to do that again afterwards. This should be easy enough and exactly what I was looking for.
    12-14-09 06:34 AM
    Correct, if the firmware is ever reloaded / upgraded... The camera component would have to be removed again.
    12-14-09 08:25 AM
    Hi..i have deleted by net_rim_bb_camera.cod can some help by share it so i can reinstall it
    08-27-13 05:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD