I was wondering in anyone else here (I know probably a dumb question) entered the contest to win a Pearl 8120 from RIM and T-Mobile? If so...Today is the day! Today is the official drawing where 1000 very lucky people will either get to further their addictions or be drawn in to the world of crackberrying. Either way I wish everyone who entered the best of luck! My fingers are crossed!!
    05-06-08 08:42 AM
    I entered when I was shopping around for a new phone and I received an email on May 1st that I had won the 8120. I haven't received the physical phone yet, but the email states it will arrive within 30 days. Between the time I had entered the contest and the time I received that email I left T-Mobile for Sprint and bought an 8830. It's funny, I now have a free phone I have no use for. Go figure.
    05-06-08 10:17 AM
    I entered when I was shopping around for a new phone and I received an email on May 1st that I had won the 8120. I haven't received the physical phone yet, but the email states it will arrive within 30 days. Between the time I had entered the contest and the time I received that email I left T-Mobile for Sprint and bought an 8830. It's funny, I now have a free phone I have no use for. Go figure.
    Well when you get it you can sell it on our marketplace!
    05-06-08 10:37 AM
    Or donate it to say, me.
    05-06-08 12:53 PM
    No no no donate it to me!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-08 01:54 PM
    Well, congrats anyway. Murphy's Law????
    05-06-08 07:41 PM
    That's a great idea. My first thought was to try and "return" it to T-Mobile. My second was to sell it on eBay or something. Thanks for pointing out the marketplace here. I wasn't looking forward to the eBay experience...
    05-07-08 01:24 PM
    Well, congrats anyway. Murphy's Law????
    Thanks! I won't complain too much, at least this time around Murphy's Law might help me recoup my early termination fee with T-Mobile.

(I was on my 3rd RAZR less than 1 year into my 2 year contract, they would only do same-device exchanges, and I'd have to pay full price to switch to a new phone.)
    05-07-08 01:31 PM
    I just received a phone call last evening with caller ID 10000000000 and I almost didn't answer....but I'm glad I did. Found out I was one of the lucky winners - woohoo! I currently have a 4 month old 8100 with a tiny scratch on his forehead, so I'm thrilled to be replacing him with a new version.

Still a BB newbie....Tamara
    05-08-08 08:29 AM
    yeah i went thru 4 razrs with T-Mobile and after the last one stopped working i called and kinda raised **** cuz i was mad that i had to go thru 4 phones, and only after the FIFTH would they give me a discount and i said no. there is no reason for me to have to go through 4 phones! so they gave me a partial discount for a nokia and i went thru two of those and am now on my blackberry 8120. this all since august '06. so i feel the pain from T-mobile, but hopefully this phone will last
    05-08-08 08:40 AM
    yeah i went thru 4 razrs with T-Mobile and after the last one stopped working i called and kinda raised **** cuz i was mad that i had to go thru 4 phones, and only after the FIFTH would they give me a discount and i said no. there is no reason for me to have to go through 4 phones! so they gave me a partial discount for a nokia and i went thru two of those and am now on my blackberry 8120. this all since august '06. so i feel the pain from T-mobile, but hopefully this phone will last
    Yeah, I bailed on the RAZR a couple months after my initial 1 year warranty expired. I ended up going to Sprint because it really would have cost me the same amount to buy a new BlackBerry 8830 outright with T-Mobile as it did to pay their cancellation fee and go to Sprint and get several rebates. I like the SEP 900 that I have there now and their service is much better in the DC Metro area. T-Mobile doesn't even get a signal at all in our subway system. Verizon gets full bars and Sprint can roam on their network for free. I'd probably keep the 8120 as a back-up phone if it worked on Sprint's network, but as we know it doesn't.
    05-08-08 10:22 AM
    I am also a winner of the new 8120. I didn't think I would win one so I purchased a 8120. Now that I won, I will be selling it. (The roomy has a Curve) I have been with VoiceStream/Tmo for about 8 years. Minor troubles yes, but not worth bailing.

So look for my 8120 to be sold.
    05-12-08 12:03 PM
    I got the call saying I won today too. Should get it within 30 days.
    She wasn't sure if it was locked or not.
    But its going right to eBay anyway!!!
    05-12-08 03:08 PM
    so anyone recieve their phone yet?? I wonder if it is going to take all of 30 days to get it??? I'm so anxious!
    05-16-08 07:17 PM
    I got the call saying I won today too. Should get it within 30 days.
    She wasn't sure if it was locked or not.
    But its going right to eBay anyway!!!

Is her name Myra?, cuz I win too
    05-16-08 08:01 PM
    so i found this information for anyone who still hasn't recieved their 8120 in the mail yet and are wondering where it is:

Go to UPS.com and do a 'Track by Reference #". Type in either OA-052108-1 or OA-052108-2 as the reference code then enter your country and zip code in the fields that ask for them.

Mine worked for the second reference code and I was able to find out that my phone will arrive on Tuesday!! :-) (About Time!) I don't know if there are more than just these 2 reference #'s, but maybe just play around with the last number, IE OA-052108-3 or 4 etc. Good luck!! Hope we all see our phones soon!! YAY!!!

I hope I put some winners such as me at ease a little.... ;-)
    05-25-08 12:30 PM
    Good luck!
    05-25-08 12:51 PM
    Thanks for your effort,as I was beginning to wonder.
    I see mine will arrive on 5.28!!
    05-26-08 07:20 PM
    so i found this information for anyone who still hasn't recieved their 8120 in the mail yet and are wondering where it is:

Go to UPS.com and do a 'Track by Reference #". Type in either OA-052108-1 or OA-052108-2 as the reference code then enter your country and zip code in the fields that ask for them.

Mine worked for the second reference code and I was able to find out that my phone will arrive on Tuesday!! :-) (About Time!) I don't know if there are more than just these 2 reference #'s, but maybe just play around with the last number, IE OA-052108-3 or 4 etc. Good luck!! Hope we all see our phones soon!! YAY!!!

I hope I put some winners such as me at ease a little.... ;-)

just one question, how did you find the refference number?
    05-26-08 10:29 PM
    I posted on a different thread, but I got mine in the mail last night. Wooo hoo!!! I have an 8100 that I've had since November. I'm looking forward to the Wi-Fi and video!!!!
    05-28-08 10:45 AM
    I just wanted to follow up and let you know that I received mine the day before yesterday and have it posted for sale on the marketplace. Thanks again for the suggestion!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f14/wts...0-pearl-38923/
    05-29-08 03:07 PM
    I received mine on Wednesday 5/28, so it was just 20 days from "The Call" to arrival

Now what do I do? Can anyone explain the advantages of switching from the 8100 to the 8120? I know 8120 has video - that's cool. Also Wi-Fi - but do I need Wi-Fi? I currently have the unlimited data plan with T-Mo.

The Big Question - is there a "how-to" somewhere about how to change from one phone to another? I know all you heavily addicted crackberry users have traded up a time or two.... so I'm sure you can help. I do know that Desktop Manager has a "Switch Device Manager". Do I need to install a newer version for the newer phone? Do I move my current SIM card into the new phone, and save the new SIM card for the old one? Will my PIN be the same (is it phone-specific or SIM-specific)?

I know these are silly newbie questions - just want to make sure I do my research before I start poking buttons and moving things around. This from a newbie who has already nuked and recovered her first BB, shortly after she locked herself out by not practicing suretype drills and screwing up the password entry (had to reinstall everything from scratch after that one too)

The pros of switching: my 8100 has a tiny forehead scratch: the new 8120 has video.

The cons of switching: the 8120 has an alt-key that says "ALT" instead of the cool up and down arrow on my 8100; it seems complicated to switch phones and have to go through the whole "how to free up memory" exercise again.

So, do I go for it, or what? Your votes and advice, please

Tamara
    05-30-08 09:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD