When I tried to load some aftermarket applications from Handango onto my Sprint 8130, I got an error message. After a bit of research, I learned that I had to load "Device Software" onto my desktop in addition to Desktop Manager.

The software was located on RIM's blackberry.com website (I'd provide the URL, but as a new user I'm not allowed to until I have 10 posts) and it downloaded and installed just fine.

However, can someone explain the purpose of this additional software and why it is conspicuously absent in all of Sprint's literature?

You would think that loading 3rd party apps is a pretty standard activity and that Sprint would inform its users of the necessity of this software.

When I originally got the error message, I googled it and found a URL for a blog by a guy named Kelly Carter and his Pearl 8130 which described the problem and how to fix it. (Again, I'd provide the link, but as a newbie I'm not allowed to until I hit 10 posts.)

The fix worked great for me. I'm just curious as to why this is not included in the Sprint literature and why Sprint does not include a link to it on their support page for the 8130.

Maybe this is a question for Sprint, but I thought I'd start here because I have users to be more helpful than the service provider.
    02-19-08 07:27 PM
    i am doing this from verizon's site as we speak (waiting for it to download). try this link for sprint:

sprint blackberry downloads
    02-19-08 07:39 PM
    Yep, unfortunately I don't believe any of the carriers document or clarify that the Device Software(OS) is also necessary to be installed on the PC additionally to DM in order to load apps thru App Loader. Its documented only by RIM as dacur noted. This has caused much confusion & questions amongst folks new to the BB.
    02-19-08 07:49 PM
    This is not a Sprint issue, it's something any BB user has to deal with on any carrier. Furthermore, it isn't a bug or any issue like that. The way BBs are set up requires both the DM and the OS (which has all the .cod files) be present on the PC in order for non-OTA installations. I believe it has to do with the java-based OS.
    02-19-08 07:52 PM
    only thing they have at the Sprint site is the Desktop manager and some other things for other BB's
    02-19-08 08:40 PM
    Not the Sprint site bunny, go through RIMs site for Sprint software downloads here: Software Download for Sprint L.P.
    02-19-08 09:37 PM
    hurrrr

Be kind...I'm still a BB n00blet

getting the OS now
    02-19-08 10:14 PM
    Glad you got the OS bunny.

oopsie, my apologies if unkindness was perceived, def wasn't intented... I have complete respect & love for all n00blets
    02-20-08 07:13 AM
    oh my goodness. thanks to gadget, i realized i was just re-downloading the desktop software from verizon NOT the device software - oops! they are right next to each other and i didn't read it properly! if you have verizon, go here for the downloads. i'll post my progress now that i'm on the right track!

thanks again gadget!
    02-20-08 08:17 AM
    Yes, definitely is confusing at a glance since DM and device software are both labeled 4.3
    02-20-08 08:35 AM
    sweet. got the os downloaded to my pc. was able to load apps to my device (like the bowling and checkers games found free in bb owners lounge). finally! thank you again gadget! hope this helps clarify things for others, as well.
    02-20-08 09:08 AM
    I downloaded the device software from the RIM site, but it will not install. I click it and I just get an error.

Not a valid Win32 application.

I have downloaded it a bunch of times and it will not fully download is what I'm getting from the error, but it states its completed every single time. Is there another piece of software I need to read this file type. Help???
    02-25-08 01:52 PM
    Are you on a Windows machine?

The software has to download completely before you can use it.

Which Software version or carrier's verison are you trying to download? IE. I have a Sprint phone but use US Cellular Device software.
    02-25-08 02:24 PM
    I don't know why the carriers do not include this step in the setup directions. I know I had a problem with it (not knowing I had to do it) when I first got my BB. I only found out by coming in here.....hooray for CB!!!!
    02-25-08 02:32 PM
    Thanks a lot everyone...with a quick search you have helped a BB noob.. Thanks
    02-25-08 04:02 PM
    I don't know why the carriers do not include this step in the setup directions. I know I had a problem with it (not knowing I had to do it) when I first got my BB. I only found out by coming in here.....hooray for CB!!!!
    I was in the same boat. That goodness for Crackberry!
    02-25-08 04:19 PM
    i did it too.....
    02-25-08 09:03 PM
    ok, so I download the device software from the blackberry site, then I install the device manager from the disk I got with the pearl but when I go into app loader it says they are not the proper versions or something, any ideas? sorry, I'm very new at this as well!

Rob
    02-26-08 03:47 AM
    ok, so I download the device software from the blackberry site, then I install the device manager from the disk I got with the pearl...
    Rob, you didn't mention if you actually installed the Device software after you downloaded it. Just install the .exe file you downloaded and you should be fine.
    02-26-08 05:08 AM
    sorry, yes I installed it as far as i know, i can try agin tho but i'm pretty sure i did because I selected run, I remember that much! to be precise it says something about the software not being the same or something

Rob
    02-26-08 07:24 AM
    sorry, yes I installed it as far as i know, i can try agin tho but i'm pretty sure i did because I selected run, I remember that much! to be precise it says something about the software not being the same or something

Rob
    Rob, if possible can you be a little more precise with the error? It will help us narrow down your issue.
    Question, what OS version did you download vs what's on your phone?
    02-26-08 07:40 AM
    click on the .exe files or icons that were downloaded to your pc. they both have to be installed on your pc.
    02-26-08 07:49 AM
    i just thought of something, I followed a link from another thread, and i just noticed on the blackberry site that its dependent on the carrier, i downloaded verizon's or something, my bad, I should have been more careful.

I downloaded the software specific to bel and its working great thanks for the help!

Rob
    02-26-08 08:22 AM
    i just thought of something, I followed a link from another thread, and i just noticed on the blackberry site that its dependent on the carrier, i downloaded verizon's or something, my bad, I should have been more careful.

I downloaded the software specific to bel and its working great thanks for the help!

Rob
    That's what I was getting at. OS version difference. Glad all is working and you are happy!
    02-26-08 08:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD