Long story short, I have an Alltel Pearl 8130 that crapped out on me, so they sent the replacement without the back or battery. Activated new phone, only to discover that there is nothing on it. No browser, no way to set up my email. Nothing. We have an ancient desktop that I tried to do the BB to BB transfer with, but it failed. I am not having a good time with technology here!

Anyway, I do have a dependable netbook. The Pearl is running on v4.5 something software, so I assume that I download the Desktop Manager 4.5.0? I am guessing that I should be able to restore things this way. I was using Google Sync for contacts/calendar, so that though all be intact. I'll just have to re-download the other 3rd party apps that I was using.
    09-13-09 09:27 AM
    You can use any version of Desktop Manager. Its version doesn't have to match the OS version. I use both DM 4.6 and DM 5.0 on two different PCs.
    09-13-09 11:16 AM
    Personally I recommend either 4.5 or 4.6, and Jeff, don't go there.

09-13-09 02:12 PM
    1. If you upgrade Desktop Manager, do you also have to reinstall the device operating system on your PC after upgrading Desktop Manager?

2. Can you use a version of Desktop Manager that is higher than the version listed on your carrier's website? For example, AT&T shows DM 4.7. Any problem installing DM 5.0 for AT&T devices?

Thanks.
    09-13-09 02:16 PM
    Upgrading will not effect your OS that are installed. Downgrading from DM5.0 will remove them all. Also DM5.0 seems to have issues running apploader.exe on 4.5 OS's, and that's the best way to do an install. DM4.7 is a complete disaster, and should be avoided like the plague.
    09-13-09 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD