This one's totally my fault, but I didn't expect this to happen the way that it did. I took a pic with my 8130. I made the pic the caller ID for an entry in my address book. The caller ID displayed as expected. I deleted the pic. The caller ID pic disappeared. I figured the caller ID pic would be saved off to another folder somewhere.

Anyway, any idea how I could retrieve that picture? Either the original or the caller ID (cropped) version?
    10-07-08 02:49 PM
    I don't think there is away to get it back. Pretty sure once its deleted its gone for good

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-08 02:51 PM
    Its gone. Sorry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-08 02:55 PM
    addict is correct. Once you delete something from your BB, it's gone.
    10-07-08 02:55 PM
    If you have the file on your Media Card then even if it is deleted there is a chance of gettiing it back.

Rule 1: DO NOT write anything else onto the card.

Look on the web for a decent undelte software package. I use this File Recover - File Recovery, Restore deleted files but it's a yearly subscription.

Connect your phone to the PC and use the undelet software to recover your file. You may be lucky.

If the file is not on your phone then if you synced to Outlook you may still have a copy in your Outlook Contacts folder. Right click on the picture and select Copy.

Otherwise, it gone.
    10-07-08 03:05 PM
    check your recycle bin.
    10-14-08 11:06 AM
    check your recycle bin.
    There is no recycle bin on a BlackBerry.

Pete6's instructions are the only hope, or take another picture.
    10-14-08 01:00 PM
    There is an application that I use for all mediums to recover files both multimedia and text. It is called: "Photorec." You can download and use (for free) from: cgsecurity [dot] org.
    (apparently I am not allowed to post URLs until I have 10 posts under my belt)

HOWEVER, like Pete6 said, do not write any more to the card as it could overwrite your missing data.

I know, this does not eliminate the original poster's predicament but I hope it does help successive persons in a similar data loss predicament.

Regards,

Sean-Colin
    01-29-09 04:59 PM
    Maybe I can offer some help... ( i guess that degree in computer forensics will help someone but me... still cant' find a job using these skills!)

Technically that picture is still located on your memory card. Problem is unless you possess some mad skills in data recovery, it's gone. The way these files are deleted is by flipping one bit to a 0 to show it's allocated area as available. Problem is if you save anything after you deleted the pic.. it's gone... overwritten by the new data...

Ok now here is where the mad skills come in. First of all data/pictures are hardly ever saved in consecutive areas so finding all the parts are a bit difficult but can be done.

You can retrieve that picture by running a little program Diskedit, which only runs in DOS mode and is HIGHLY dangerous... one wrong move and you loose everything on your memory card and can render it destroyed.

But.....with diskedit you find the file looking at all the data on the card in just a huge list of hexadecimal numbers. the location of the file deletion bits is in a set area... you flip the value back to 1 and then link the fat table ( I believe these media cards are formatted in a FAT format) and Whalah! Your pic is back... Clear as mud right? That's why data recovery takes some mad skills!

That's my two cents worth for today!
    01-29-09 05:37 PM
    dont worry, you can recover deleted picture with photo recovery software. You may refer to this step by step photo recovery guide that helped me before
    how to recover deleted photos from BlackBerry Phone
    Last edited by chris290; 06-25-13 at 05:27 PM.
    06-23-13 11:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD