I installed Google Maps and like it much better than BB Maps. I am concerned about space and I was wondering if it would be OK to delete BB Maps.

If so, is there any way to get it back should I run into problems with Google Maps?

Thank you
    01-11-08 01:47 PM
    I installed Google Maps and like it much better than BB Maps. I am concerned about space and I was wondering if it would be OK to delete BB Maps.

If so, is there any way to get it back should I run into problems with Google Maps?

Thank you
    Just do a device back up prior. You can reload it via the DT Manager.
    01-11-08 02:07 PM
    Thanks.

This is my first time with the Desktop manager so please bare with me.

I clicked backup and restore but should I does press backup, or clicked the advanced and select just the maps?

If I should just select BB Maps I have a question because I see niether BB Maps or Google Maps, just map locations and map settings.
    01-11-08 03:04 PM
    In Desktop Manager, click on Application Loader. You will want to UNCHECK BlackBerry Maps. That will delete it from your device. Then press next or whatever.
    01-11-08 03:43 PM
    Thank you.

So I will be able to reload it if I choose?

Also, using the same way you describes, can I also remove ringtone and the standard pictures that came with the phone?

Edit: after trying this, the only app that shows up in my application loader is Google maps...nothing else.
    01-11-08 04:15 PM
    oh , do you see "BlackBerry Maps"?
    Last edited by jsanders; 01-11-08 at 04:21 PM.
    01-11-08 04:18 PM
    Do you have the OS that is on your handheld BB, also loaded to your PC?
    01-11-08 04:22 PM
    Nope, just Google.

I'm sorry, how do I check that?
    01-11-08 04:26 PM
    You probably don't, if you don't see anything in Application Loader.

On your BB, go to Options > About... the line with the v.,about third line down is the OS version.

You need to download that from your carrier website. Install it to your PC, by double clicking on the EXE file.

Then back to Desktop Manager and Application Loader...
    01-11-08 04:29 PM
    I installed 4.2 earlier and my phone is 4.3...So I should have installed this one here (4.3)?

BlackBerry - BlackBerry - Sys Req V4-3
    01-11-08 04:38 PM
    No Gryz, your link is for the Desktop Manager, you already have that installed. You also need the Device Software. Go here: BlackBerry® Software Updates select the 8130 and download the "BlackBerry Device Software v4.3 (updated 11-13-2007)" to your PC. Install it and continue as js described above.
    01-11-08 06:22 PM
    Thank you. Worked like a charm!
    Now if I ever want those apps back I can just checkmark the box?
    01-11-08 09:48 PM
    Yes, checking the box is loaded to your device, unchecked is not loaded.

Good luck!
    01-11-08 10:37 PM
    I have yet to add google maps to my device. I used to use it (actually it came loaded) on my Treo.
    Why do you like it better?
    When in the contacts application does it allow you or offer to you the ability to map location with google maps installed instead of BB maps?
    Thanks
    01-12-08 05:44 AM
    When in the contacts application does it allow you or offer to you the ability to map location with google maps installed instead of BB maps?
    Thanks
    Yes. This was my concern as well, but it works fine from the Address Book.
    01-12-08 06:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD