Hi! I'm asking on behalf of my mother who just got a Pearl 8130.... She has an EXCESSIVE number of contacts (I swear that she probably has 1,000 contacts and only knows like 5 people, lol) but her file free is around 11,000,000.... and I may just be used to my Curve, but that seems VERY low -- alarmingly low in fact. I'm in the process of getting her a memory card, but is there something wrong with the phone itself or can lots of contacts cause that low of memory? Thanks!
    01-26-09 09:38 PM
    Contacts do not take up much space at all. go to options > status > menu > show database sizes. You will see what is taking the memory in the DBs, but it is likely the Apps running
    01-26-09 09:39 PM
    I am inclined to think the issue is something other than the
    contact list. I have over 1800+ contacts, of varying length and
    data, and my memory is well over 25mb
    01-26-09 09:41 PM
    Contacts do not take up much space at all. go to options > status > menu > show database sizes. You will see what is taking the memory in the DBs, but it is likely the Apps running
    i just went in and checked mine after reading this as i cant figure why my freefile is so low and i have content store 28/1761.7k
    What is this?????? and why is it taking up so much room
    01-26-09 10:28 PM
    The Content Store is the BlackBerry's temp file, among other things. You can't completely delete it, but you can reduce it by clearing its database with the advanced function in DM backup and restore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-09 10:40 PM
    is that the normal size of it???? i keep deleting stuff and still i cant get over 13 after a battery pull
    01-26-09 10:45 PM
    Have you cleared the Content Store as I described above? It can grow quite large over time if you don't. It holds more than just temp files, so it will never be zero. Mine is 5.8k.

01-26-09 10:49 PM
    clearing its database with the advanced function in DM backup and restore.

Can you please explain this with more detail. This is my first bb adn i am new i have no idea really what that means or how to go about doing it???? also how will i know what to get rid of??
    01-26-09 10:51 PM
    Run the Desktop Manager, back-up and restore function. Click the Advanced button. DM will read all the databases on your device and list them with their sizes on the right. Select the Content Store and click the Clear button to clear it to its minimum size.

01-26-09 10:55 PM
    wow i now have 16528536
    TY
    are there other places i need to clear out ?? Also how often should i go in and clear that ??

my content store now shows 65.1 k still much more hten you are showing..
    Last edited by atapjn; 01-26-09 at 11:17 PM. Reason: forgot somthine
    01-26-09 11:04 PM
    That's a very nice increase for a Pearl. That should keep her stable for a long time to come. Pearls have less free memory to work with than Curves because Pearls have the Suretype database. If you haven't done it yet, the Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig might help you free up some more.
    01-27-09 05:45 AM
    Def check the link in Jeff's sig for the mem opt..

some quick mem fixes:

hit alt + lglg (brings up event log)

menu/clear log..
    then menu/options scroll down and select hide all events.. (so you dont have to do this again!)

clear your phone call log, by going into messages,

then hit alt + P..
    delete all those calls...

search here for soft reset app.. and use that any time your file free goes down a bit.. (once a week usually, or after using gps)

def get a memcard, and put all your pics and ringtones etc on there...

cheers!
    01-27-09 10:16 AM
    ok i did the mop thing already have a 2 gig card that is holding all my pics ringtones ect.
    adn today i wake up and i am down to 13 something
    where is it all going
    and i did hte alt +lglg thing
    here is what i have running

appetite
    bbsmartalarm pro
    bb core appli
    bbsystem soft
    bb attachment services
    bb maps
    bb messenger
    browser
    them
    email setup application
    google sync
    jive talk
    maratick
    memeopad
    password keeper
    phone vymail
    and yahoo go

i see so many running with more hten this and have more space i jsut dont get it
    i already deleted slacker as i figured that was prob a big one
    but i feel like i am loosing the fun of the phone if i cant have anything on here. I jsut dont get it..
    i must be missing something somewhere.
    Please help
    01-27-09 10:51 AM
    If you are comparing your apps list to an 8330, you're not making a fair comparison. The 8330 has 50% more memory to start with, plus it isn't encumbered with Suretype. Your BB software looks typical. I'm not familiar with the memory requirements of your 3rd party apps.
    01-27-09 10:55 AM
    oh wow ok
    thanks for explaining that..
    :-)
    is it normal for it to drop so drastically overnight. The alarm and mail i know is running in teh background
    01-27-09 11:00 AM
    ok i did the mop thing already have a 2 gig card that is holding all my pics ringtones ect.
    adn today i wake up and i am down to 13 something
    where is it all going
    and i did hte alt +lglg thing
    here is what i have running

appetite
    bbsmartalarm pro
    bb core appli
    bbsystem soft
    bb attachment services
    bb maps
    bb messenger
    browser
    them
    email setup application
    google sync
    jive talk
    maratick
    memeopad
    password keeper
    phone vymail
    and yahoo go

i see so many running with more hten this and have more space i jsut dont get it
    i already deleted slacker as i figured that was prob a big one
    but i feel like i am loosing the fun of the phone if i cant have anything on here. I jsut dont get it..
    i must be missing something somewhere.
    Please help

That is too much to keep running in the background no matter what phone you have. I would close them all, but that's just me.
    01-27-09 11:18 AM
    Five makes a key point. There's no point in leaving all those apps running in the background. When they're running, the Memory Manager can't reclaim their memory. Be sure you actually close the program when you through with it. Alt-esc will show you what's running in the background at any time. There are 5 apps you can't close: Messenger, Messages, Call Log, Home Screen, and Browser. The rest you should close if you are not using them.
    01-27-09 11:25 AM
    LOL sorry that is not what i have running it is what i have on my bb.the only things i know are running are the ones you cant close + the alarm and vymail..
    01-27-09 11:26 AM
    Her phone is literally BRAND new. She just got it last night and has her contacts, 1 calendar event, maybe 10-15 emails, and about 4 recent calls. I have only installed SprintTV, Pocket Express, and Sprint Navigation -- no other applications. The file free (immediately after a battery pull) is less than 12 mb. What's up with that?
    01-27-09 03:19 PM
    Her phone is literally BRAND new. She just got it last night and has her contacts, 1 calendar event, maybe 10-15 emails, and about 4 recent calls. I have only installed SprintTV, Pocket Express, and Sprint Navigation -- no other applications. The file free (immediately after a battery pull) is less than 12 mb. What's up with that?
    The phones come preloaded with a huge sample video, multiple wallpapers, and apps you may never use. That's the purpose of the MOP, to clean all that up and give you your memory back. The MOP is the first link in my signature, and the first customization you need to perform.
    01-27-09 03:23 PM
    i have deleted all my extra stuff ... Do you guys have any idea why my file free is dropping so fast
    01-27-09 04:24 PM
    The phones come preloaded with a huge sample video, multiple wallpapers, and apps you may never use. That's the purpose of the MOP, to clean all that up and give you your memory back. The MOP is the first link in my signature, and the first customization you need to perform.
    Okay thank you, I will try to do that for her!
    01-27-09 04:42 PM
    i have deleted all my extra stuff ... Do you guys have any idea why my file free is dropping so fast
    Does it drop to a certain level, then stabilize? Or does it just keep dropping until it dies? If it stabilizes, at what level?
    01-27-09 07:26 PM
    it seems to stabilize around 13 something...when i first battery pull i am at 16 something
    01-27-09 07:29 PM
    You're probably ok if it's stabilizing at 13. That's not a lot of margin, but it's some. We used to quote 10 000 000 bytes as the minimum. If you've done ALL the steps in the MOP, and put everything you can on your Media card, then you've got what you've got. Neither 12 nor 10 is a sharp cutoff. It's more a slope, and a matter of having margin. Like staying well back from a precipice vs tiptoeing on loose gravel at the edge. <5MB is the loose gravel. 13MB is perfectly safe. You can go lower and usually get away with it.
    01-27-09 07:36 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD