So I'm a BB noob, trying to get the most out of my BB Pearl 8130 (Sprint). I have installed the BPhone theme, some Google Apps and I am using an Micro SD card for music, pics, etc. Couldn't be happier with the purchase.

Two days ago I ordered a car charger, holster and skin from the BlackBerry Source.com, based mainly on prices and selection of products available. I received the car charger yesterday, and tried it out today to make sure it worked. Plugged it in and the BB's charging icon appeared as expected, the same as I have seen when charging from home.

When I got home however and plugged in my BB, the charging icon would not display, leading me to believe that the home charger will no longer work for my BB. WTF says I. The site's not letting post a link, but the charger is called 'Blackberry Auto Charger'.

I searched some other threads for some similar cases and it sounds like there are some compatibility issues with voltage perhaps that may be in play here, but I can't imagine that the charger that came with the BB originally will no longer work? Has anyone else hit this or know what I need to do?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    03-19-08 09:23 PM
    If it wasn't a blackberry brand charger it could have messed up your phone. What is the brand ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-08 09:27 PM
    Good question, the packaging said Image was the brand name, but there wasn't much to it other than a plastic container it came in (which sadly is now in a dumpster).

The description on the site does not provide a brand name (which should have been an indicator of quality). Probably should have known that a generic charger might cause issues, but seems like very basic technology.

The only thing I can read from the side that may be useful is sticker that reads 'FOR mot V3/BB6510'.
    03-19-08 09:35 PM
    I've seen people on here mess up their blackberry using a motorola charger. Is your phone under warranty ?

03-19-08 09:39 PM
    FYI, I've also performed the battery removal reset.
    03-19-08 09:42 PM
    Yea the phone is under warranty (just got it on Sunday). Is there any way to tell for sure what the issue is though? How can a charger prevent other chargers from working? All other phone operations are working fine, as far as I can tell.
    03-19-08 09:44 PM
    It could have messed up your usb/charger slot if you did a battery pull and its still not charging its probably bad. Did you try charging it on your comp ?

03-19-08 09:46 PM
    It'll charge still with the car charger, just not with the BB charger that came with the phone originally.

Sadly can't charge on the comp right now because I only have my work computer at the moment, my personal is out of commish for the next few days (waiting on a new power supply).
    03-19-08 10:00 PM
    OK, figured it out... lesson learned!

Frickin 3rd party chargers are bad news. Turns out that the car charger had bent one of the USB port pins in the phone so that any other USB connection wouldn't read correctly. I bent the pin back down with a pin and it works fine now.

Needless to say, I will be returning the car charger and buying a BB charger.

Thanks for helping out Blueberry23!!
    03-19-08 10:56 PM
    Dberkey... I think you learned your lesson. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Shop here on CB for assesories as you know you will get quality stuff. Plus the customer service is excellent(just ask cjcarbone) and your help putting back into this great forum.

03-19-08 11:09 PM
    Good find, dberkey. Maybe not in your case, but it's possible some users try to force the USB charger cable in the wrong way--causing a pin to bend--before they realize the cable connector needs to be turned over and plugged in the other way. I've seen that happen in similar cases.
    03-20-08 01:02 AM
    Hey there Kellydcarter! I've been posting on your blog lately, funny that you found me here. : )

Yea I wish I could chalk this one up to my super human strength, but I actually checked out the car charger more closely, and one of their pins is set just too high. That's what you get with knock-off craftsmanship.... total garbage. I'm contacting the seller today and will be working out a refund.

Looking into CB merch as we speak!

Btw Kelly - I've initially thought that OTA install of BBLight (hint as to which posting was mine) wasn't working because of the aforementioned issue, but turns out that it works just fine.
    03-20-08 08:17 AM
    OK, figured it out... lesson learned!

Frickin 3rd party chargers are bad news. Turns out that the car charger had bent one of the USB port pins in the phone so that any other USB connection wouldn't read correctly. I bent the pin back down with a pin and it works fine now.

Needless to say, I will be returning the car charger and buying a BB charger.

Thanks for helping out Blueberry23!!
    anytime ! always willing to help
    03-20-08 10:55 AM
    Hey,

I was having problems with my charger too as I bought my bb from a wholesaler and she provided me with a 3rd party charger instead of an OEM original bb charger. It actually bent one of my pins and i couldn't charge it with any other charger. I read your post and i unbent the pin and it works now!

just wanted to drop a work and say thanks so much!
    10-05-08 11:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD