Usually the call log shows the last 30 or so calls made & received. Lately, mine just goes empty without warning. Someone suggested it may be due to an over-full memory, but I've added nothing new in months, no new photos, videos, music files - which all live on the media card anyway - the only thing new that comes in is voice-, text-, and e-mail messages, which self-delete after a certain number is reached. So full memory wouldn't seem to be the cause. Just the same, how does one clear more memory, if it's full...where do you go. And any other ideas why my call log goes blank?
    06-01-08 12:53 PM
    Check your free memory: Options/Status/File Free:
    What you are describing is typical of low memory problems. Any time File Free drops below 10 000 000 the phone will start deleting call logs and text messages without warning or prompting, to free up memory. Text messages may be deleted as soon as they arrive.

A battery pull recovers some memory and will alleviate the problem temporarily. The solution is to remove stuff you don't need (the sample video, wallpaper, themes, other languages, brickbreaker, etc.) from memory. This procedure developed by Stoner will guide you.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

You have to keep your device memory well above 10 000 000, regardless of how big your media card or how much free space it has.
    06-01-08 01:07 PM
    Clear you cache and internet history!
    06-01-08 01:14 PM
    Thanks Jeff H
    On the handheld itself, I found and removed Russian and Semitic characters, which helped just a little. Couldn't find any other place to delete "languages"
    I deleted the sample video, nice increase but still only got me up to 6MB, you said it needed to stay well over 10MB to not delete logs.
    Most every other App that Stoner listed seemed important to keep, or so small (60 -200 kb) that deleting wouldn't create much more space.
    Seems like deleting the MDS runtime would free up 800kb, and deleting unused wallpapers could free up some more, but I can't find how to delete those directly on the handheld, and I don't have a Windows computer to do his "Better" version - I'm on Mac. Any way to delete either of those directly on the handheld?
    In a last-ditch attempt to get enough memory, I deleted my Opera Mini, 'cause even with Opera, browsing on this small screen is just too tiny and I hardly ever bother, just wait till I'm in front of my home computer. It's a shame though, 'cause the possibility of mobile browsing was one of the reasons I tried a Blackberry. Many friends have iPhones, and when I try browsing next to them, I feel ridiculous. Anyway, ditching Opera put file free to about 11MB.
    Overall, I'm kinda unimpressed with my Blackberry, and the fact that they pre-load it with so much crap, and not enough extra memory, that you have to go thru this process just to keep your messages from dropping off, makes me even less impressed.
    06-01-08 01:54 PM
    ... I don't have a Windows computer to do his "Better" version - I'm on Mac. Any way to delete either of those directly on the handheld?...
    I don't know any way to perform those optimizations without using a PC. (In the RIM version of those famous PC-Mac commercials, PC is the cool guy!) There are some Mac add-ons that help alleviate some problems (check the Mac forum), but nothing that replaces Desktop Manager, which only runs on Windows.

Sorry your experience isn't turning out well. If you have a blackberry-using PC friend, you can use his Desktop Manager. You only have to do this stuff once, so it's not like you have to have a PC available all the time.
    06-01-08 02:05 PM
    Get the preloaded pics off the device. And do like JeffH said and follow Stoner's thread, it works like a champ. Got me to 25mg. Free file in no time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-08 02:37 PM
    Also, you'll need to download the teeny tiny app SoftReset. The 8130 has OS4.3 which has a memory leak, so your memory will drop simply by using the phone. When it drops you can just do a soft reset to restore it. You can also just pull the battery, but the app actually restores more memory than a battery pull and is a bit more convenient.
    06-01-08 10:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD