So the quick story, My bother and I love our 8310's. Our mother's current LG phone is 4 years old, horrible sound quality, and many other issues (random turning off and such), we are going to upgrade her to the pearl 8110. She has already mentioned that she doesn't want the Internet on any phone. So I was wondering how would one go about blocking the internet. I was going to change the service from 'EDGE' to 'edge', along with hiding all internet programs. However I am still afraid of accidental usage or the phone randomly using internet. Is there anything else I should do, is there a program out there that will block the usage? Any help would be great.
    07-09-09 09:12 AM
    You could uninstall the browser but I hear this is not wise if you ever plan on using the phone for the internet in the future. I suppose you could back it up using the DM (I believe this saves programs?) and then delete what won't be used.

Then again if you never plan on using internet on the phone it probably wouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by RobotnumberOne; 07-09-09 at 09:34 AM.
    07-09-09 09:28 AM
    Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Data Services > change setting to "Off." As long as that setting remains off, the blackberry will never access the internet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 09:55 AM
    I think he meant a solution that could not be undone, at least not easily or by accident. Of course both of these would work.
    07-09-09 10:10 AM
    a permanent options works for me, since I doubt she will ever want the Internet on her phone. I will probably do both of those ideas. I bought a Motorola rizr off of ebay a few years ago, and i would randomly get data usage even though I know I didn't use it. And i know how "Internet-friendly" blackberries are, so just wanna cover my bases and make sure I don't end up with a very large bill.
    07-09-09 10:34 AM
    Very wise idea. If you're pretty sure you'll never use the phone for the internet, uninstalling the browser is your best bet imo.

Also depends on the carrier. With my carrier, you cannot access the internet on any phone unless you have a data plan. So if your carrier operates the same way, you wouldn't need to worry about it at all, even with a blackberry.
    Last edited by RobotnumberOne; 07-09-09 at 11:18 AM. Reason: just cuz
    07-09-09 11:18 AM
    If you set the firewall to block BIS etc. That blocks all data regardless of Data settings
    07-09-09 11:56 AM
    Is there a company out there who lets you get a BB without a Dataplan!?!?!?!?! Kind of knocks the use/meaning of one down dramatically. Especially with the Pearls sometime unconventional ways, I see my data light icon flashing all the time when it just sits there....
    07-09-09 02:32 PM
    Don't get a bb then

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 03:54 PM
    Is there a company out there who lets you get a BB without a Dataplan!?!?!?!?! Kind of knocks the use/meaning of one down dramatically. Especially with the Pearls sometime unconventional ways, I see my data light icon flashing all the time when it just sits there....
    With Cellular South you can get a pearl without a data plan. Doesn't make any sense to me but if you don't have the data plan, regardless of what type of phone it is, Cellular South won't let you get online. At least this was the case with every other phone I've had thru them, I got the data plan with the pearl so I don't know for a fact it's true with the BB's.
    07-09-09 05:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD