Hey,

New here and to the blackberry in general I have been putting of getting a blackberry as a college student I found it quite distracting while studying also I really did not want to break my contract with my cellphone provider.

But now as my contract is coming close to an end I would like to know which Blackberry you would prefer for general use, meaning surfing and documents and such and maybe a game thrown in once in a while. I have found two offers that are particularly good, one is for the Pearl Flip (29.99) for the phone and then a plan or the Pearl 8120 (25.00) both are on 3 year contracts.

I cant really afford any higher so the curve, bold and other what not is out of the park.

Also can I use the app store with the Flip? So which phone would be a better buy?

Thanks
    04-14-09 04:04 PM
    Depends on which form factor you want. I have the 8130 which is similar to the 8120 and I love it. Does everything I need it to including your uses mentioned in the post. Also, do you like flip phones in general? It's a newer device but I don't have any experience with the Flip.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-09 08:21 PM
    My carrier is CDMA so I could not get the flip, so I got the8130. Its my first smart phone AND my first non-flip. I love the compact size and its usefulness. About the only gripe I have is the memory issue, but a daily battery pull fixes that! Cruise this site for mor info on that. I believe the flip has a larger keypad and slightly larger screen then the pearls, and a slightly different (not sure if its BETTER or not, just different). Hope this helps!

04-14-09 08:37 PM
    I'm pretty sure that the flip has 96 mb, and the other pearl only has 64. So that's a big plus.. But I love my non flip pearl.. I've heard that the trackball on the flip is recessed further, which I would find annoying.. But with the right applications removed and the right ones installed, 64 mb is more than enough.

Basically, you need no go play around with both phones and see which one is better for you.. But my vote would go for the non flip pearl...

04-15-09 05:07 PM
    Pearl Flip has 128MB. Except for that, the Pearl Flip and the Pearl are nearly identical. The Flip is a little thicker and a little shorter. The screen on the Flip is taller and the keys are taller -- they're easy to hit with your thumb tip without mistyping letters.

If you like flip phones, you'll like the Pearl Flip. My last few phones were flips, and I really love the Pearl Flip. I don't think I could use a regular Pearl's smaller keyboard, much less a full qwerty Curve or Bold.

04-16-09 11:30 AM
    I'm pretty sure that the flip has 96 mb, and the other pearl only has 64. So that's a big plus.. But I love my non flip pearl.. I've heard that the trackball on the flip is recessed further, which I would find annoying.. But with the right applications removed and the right ones installed, 64 mb is more than enough.

Basically, you need no go play around with both phones and see which one is better for you.. But my vote would go for the non flip pearl...

Ok, um if you go to blackberry.com it shows that both the 8120 and the flip have 64 mb, not 96mb or the other amount listed above ( check it out on the compare BB's under devices at their site) Besides that go to the flip thread and see what problems they are having, I was thinking of getting my Hubby one a Flip,but after reading in their thread I saw they were having a batery life issue and did not want to have to deal with that, I do not know if that has been fixed but check out their thread and the BB website. Good luck.
    04-16-09 02:53 PM
    Perhaps the BB comparison page shows preliminary marketing specs. My 8220 had 77MB free when I first got it. Now it's got 63MB free after bulking it up with Opera, Garmin, new Facebook, Noah and all my Outlook crepe.

The battery life issue has been discussed to death on the 8220 forum. Expect to charge the Flip every night. The charging pod is a godsend. WiFi and BT are a big piece of battery life, but so is seasoning your new battery and occasionally red-lining it to recalibrate the charge indicator. If you can make it past the break-in period, you'll be okay with the battery life. IMHO

04-16-09 07:13 PM
    Flip = Love
    04-16-09 08:19 PM
    I went ahead and got the 8120, the flip is cool but I am not a fan of flip phones in general, so the 8120 was the way to go although the Tron UI was really cool, wish I could get it on the 8120.
    04-16-09 09:29 PM
    I'll wait for the 3G 82xx ... wonder when will it come out!
    04-17-09 03:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD