HI, just a quick heads up on settings for the default BB browser. As many have noticed already some secure web sites (banks, ebay) will not accept login attempts.

I have discovered that the problem appears to be with browser type recognition and the default browser type is set to blackberry of course.

By going into the browser options when you have the browser open, and then checking all options available, and changing the emulation mode to Internet Explorer it has remedied the problem on my 8130.
    Also these two sites actually display better with IE emulation set.

Of course this is good news due to the fact that I do not have to compromise the rendering and displaying of this important content.

Craig C

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-08 10:40 AM
    you should try opera mini for a browser go to www.operamini.com/beta from your phones browser
    04-16-08 10:42 AM
    Welcome to CB.
    04-16-08 11:11 AM
    Thank You Latina, Glad to be Aboard!
    And yes I already use OM4 thanks. However one of the quirks of this is links from e-mail can not be set to open with Opera Mini at this time as far as I am aware, so when I click on ebay item search links for example I would have this problem via the default BB browser. And of course it is not fun changing to text view from html view (empower) and then copying the full link text' then ... you got it going into OM4 and pasting it one by one lol. It is interesting that the only browser I can set in the settings is "browser" and can not set any third party browsers as default as they do not show up in the list. Hopefully Opera Mini can do this feature in a future release as I do like the way Opera Mini works overall and I am very grateful that they offer a free version for us that compresses content on the server side. Until I figured out that disabling �support embedded media� in the default browser Opera saved me tons a grief trying to log into ebay and the bank account.

Best, Craig C.
    04-16-08 05:00 PM
    Super tip! thanks. I have had trouble logging into secure websites as well and have resorted to OM4. Now I have another option!
    04-16-08 11:27 PM
    Hi, this is an update on the browser post I created a short time back. I wanted to share this with the community for those that are experiencing this same problem and are looking for a solution.

After further investigation into this issue/problem with login to certain websites I discovered that the settings that I suggested in the original post that appeared to be correct as a workaround to this issue, do not appear to be accurate as a work around after all. I started having the same problem shortly after the original post and concluded that it may have been due to the browser cache reloading the page instead of actually loading all content from the website server instead of from the BB browser cache folder.

I have also discovered that the correct workaround for this issue appears to be as follows for the default BB Internet Browser.

Support JavaScript = yes
    Allow JavaScript popups = yes
    Terminate slow running scripts = yes
    Support HTML Tables = yes
    Use Foreground and Background colors = yes
    Use Background Images = yes
    Support Embedded Media = yes
    Support Style Sheets = no
    Show Images: = on WML & HTML Pages
    Emulation Mode: = BlackBerry
    Content Mode: = WML & HTML

The default BB browser has not given me any more trouble since I made the settings changes the same day of the original post.

Craig C.
    04-27-08 11:03 AM
    OMG!! This worked!! I have spent a month trying to get Bank of America's site to work...

There is even a thread on "Mobile Banking Sites" with all kinds of suggestions that didn't work!

Thank you Thank you Thank you!
    04-27-08 09:27 PM
    You can also try opera mini which is much faster.
    04-27-08 09:32 PM
    I tried Opera Mini on my old device and wasn't too impressed. I certainly don't want to download anything else to my Pearl that I don't want or need - I'm on memory watch as it is!! If I can get my BB browser to do the trick then I'm happy!! No OM for me...
    04-27-08 09:58 PM
    Hi, this is an update on the browser post I created a short time back. I wanted to share this with the community for those that are experiencing this same problem and are looking for a solution.

After further investigation into this issue/problem with login to certain websites I discovered that the settings that I suggested in the original post that appeared to be correct as a workaround to this issue, do not appear to be accurate as a work around after all. I started having the same problem shortly after the original post and concluded that it may have been due to the browser cache reloading the page instead of actually loading all content from the website server instead of from the BB browser cache folder.

I have also discovered that the correct workaround for this issue appears to be as follows for the default BB Internet Browser.

Support JavaScript = yes

The default BB browser has not given me any more trouble since I made the settings changes the same day of the original post.

Craig C.
    I have done all this and then tried to sign in, when I do it site tells me it doesnt recognize my device...why is that. Do you know what I need to do the fix this??

Thanks,
    Laurie
    04-28-08 07:24 PM
    Hi Laurie, unfortunately a fix is not an option for some web sites. As mobile browsing is relatively new, many sites have not caught up yet, and made there site mobile friendly. Due to the enormous growth in browser enabled PDA's & devices, most web sites are on the move on this or soon will be simply due to the sheer volume of users making the attempt and contacting support or customer service complaining about login problems.

A common cause of login or site interaction problems, is caused by the browser type not being recognised by the web site. Information about what browser type are normally sent to the site every time a login attempt, viewing the page, or any other "request" is made.

One of the common work arounds is to send different browser info and "fool" the browser with valid or recognised "browser type" info.

Fortunately this option exists in the BB browser options under emulation. I would try setting the emulation to IE or Netscape as a work around.

Remember not all sites will cooperate with this at this time, however it won't be long with the growth rate that mobile browsing is growing at, before most sites are on board for the mobile mania and all the revenue generated as a result of being Mobile Friendly.

I should also mention that I still have a couple of login sites that will not cooperate so far no matter what changes I try tp make in the browser settings, and I do find Opera Mini useful for these sites even though I am on the Sprint unlimited plan. And with an average connection speed of 700k to 1.4MB peak, content compression and page load time has become a concern of the past.

I don't know how familiar or acquainted you are with the BB desktop manager, and assuming that you have the handheld/device software installed on your home pc also, you do have the option to delete some of the unused applications on your pearl. For example I un installed the foreign language applications that I do not anticipate using to free up some space on the BB Installed memory considering that OM4 is less than 1MB installed does make it a viable means to the end, at least until our important and favorite sites get on board.

Best, Craig C
    04-30-08 09:53 AM
    i still can't get on wellsfargo.com
    04-30-08 04:47 PM
    i still can't get on wellsfargo.com
    Try wf.com. I'm able to access that on my Curve, and have been able to access that on my Treo for months. That's their mobile website, and gets the job done, at least for me. wellsfargo.com isn't working for me on my curve.
    05-20-08 01:51 AM

Support JavaScript = yes

Craig C.
    i made the changes to my browser and bank of America loaded OK but i don't have time this morning to log in and all that stuff so i will report bank latter thanks.
    07-28-08 06:09 AM
    I'm testing this out now. It has been killing me that I can't log in to my fantasy sports.
    09-10-08 04:47 PM
    how do i then reload my BB Browser?

i did a restore from a backup and that didn't work.
    01-09-09 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD