Hey guys, I just got a Blackberry 8130 but I need Japanese input/reading capabilities. While searching, I ran across a post at CB from earlier this year, but I can't make heads nor tails of the instructions! If anyone has any clues, I'd be much obliged!
    The original instructions start:
    1. Download 8707g OS from Three (Hong Kong provider).
    2. Download 4.3.0.97 OS from US Cellular.
    3. Install each OS package on a different machine (used Virtual Machines for this for ease of management).
    Okay, so far so good. I managed to find an 8707v install, but I had read that it should work fine elsewhere. I don't have Virtual Machines, so I'm just doing this on my desktop and my laptop. If there is another, easier way to download the 8707g OS straight from Three, that'd be good to know too!

Here's where I run into the problem.
    4. Pull font and encoding files from 8707g OS.
    How does one do this? I ran the OS install package and when it finished up nothing happened. I can't manage to find a folder for it so I don't know how to pull files (let alone what those files would be labeled) from it.

5. Add font and encoding files to US Cellular OS.
    6. Edit BlackBerry.alx file on US Cellular OS to show new font package during OS installation and to move the files to the device.
    This one is just kind of perplexing because I don't understand the wording of the sentence. How do I edit the .alx file on the US OS to "show new font package during OS installation and to move the files to the device"????

7. Connect device, select new package, and load OS.
    8. Cross fingers and wait...this was painful!!!

Well, that's my problem. I hope anyone can be of help, this is really frustrating not knowing how, or what, to do what I need to do to get it to work. Thanks in advance!!
    07-26-08 06:17 AM
    Nobody?
    07-26-08 02:05 PM
    When you instal the BB O/S on your desktop, the installation files will be located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion

The various font files you need will be located in
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\model+version\Java

There are a lot of files in this directory, so what I did was to select all the files in the chinese/japanese installation and paste them into my multilanguage version, selecting "no" when asked if I want to overwrite so only the missing chinese/japanese etc fonts were copied over.

I found that i did not need to edit the blackberry.alx file, but I did need to copy over a file caled cjk.alx from
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\model+version

You may also need to delete the vendor.xml file from
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    Attach your blackberry and run the loader.exe from the above directory and you should see the various east asian languages in the install options.

Good luck, hope this helps
    09-12-08 01:59 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry TGS.

Unfortunatly, the OP has not been active on the forum for several months now.

Hopefully, your advice will benifit others that have found this post with search.

Pity....
    09-12-08 12:03 PM
    Well I'm really interested in installing jp into my 8130, problem is my carrier doesn't offer an update os nor the same one so I can't reinstall it. Do I have to overwrite my os to do this? I'm really afraid of bricking my phone and having to go through my carriers bs to restore it. Or worst, knowing how they operate they might even make me buy a new one... Pls help!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-08 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD