Hello,
    I am aware that posting here will not resolve manufacturer problems and am not whining just attempting to assist. Hopefully this post will help prevent someone from not committing to a phone they will not be satisfied with.
    The Blackberry 8120 Pearl seems to have a design problem with the receive call volume being set too low by the manufacturer. Actually I think the phone is made by Motorola,contracted to RIM. In my situation I can barely hear the receive end of my call on the internal speaker in a very quiet room. It is great when on speaker-phone and with the supplied earphones. I do not want to use the speaker phone in public, sharing my personal conversations and annoying those around me. I also do want to have to carry around an earphone or wear a bluetooth earpiece.
    Reading all of the posted information and working with some very knowledgeable and patient tech reps from T-mobile the volume level could never be raised to a listenable level. T-Mobile has voluntarily expressed two replacement phone to me and both had the same issue. The conclusion is that is the way RIM has wants the 8120 and nothing can be done, so one must accept it or get another phone. In my situation I did not initially check the phone, and am stuck with accepting the problem. Changing phone is not an option as I need a 4 Band GSM phone and want wi-fi and no data plan. The 8120/8220 is my only option for now with T-Mobile. This is a RIM Blackberry problem not a T-Mobile problem. Going to the RIM web site there is not an option for non business customers to contact then and address the problem. It appears they are not in interested.
    My suggestion is that if someone is interested in obtaining this phone to actually hear a call to verify the conversation level is acceptable before committing to the phone.
    Best regards to all...
    09-26-09 01:12 PM
    Could it just be the t mobile line for your cell that's quiet or did you have an old phone to see? Cause my friend has 8120 and you can hear quite well

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-09 02:41 PM
    It's not a manufacturing issue. I just searched the forum, and this is the only thread mentioning an issue. Since it was three separate phones, and no other mention of the issue on the site, it must be an area service problem, rather than an OS problem either.
    09-26-09 06:11 PM
    I've never had that problem on my 8130. Basically the same phone. And I work in a very noisy environment. The people on the other end sometimes comlain about the back ground noise but I can hear them perfectly.

09-26-09 11:12 PM
    Ya but different care and software goes into 8120 and 8130

09-26-09 11:40 PM
    Yeah right. I didn't think of the software maybe being part of the problem. So to the OP have you tried a different OS?

09-26-09 11:51 PM
    The original phone,which I still have, came with the previous software installed. On first use of desktop manager it upgraded to current software. The problem was evident on initial use of the phone(before upgrade), but I was scheduled for a trip and could not address it immediately to T-Mobile. The two replacements sent by T-Mobile tech support had the most recent software installed.
    They actually wanted to send another phone but will be on a trip to San Francisco, Portland and Seattle this coming week. Will then be able to find out if it is a problem here in Las Vegas. Would be surprised as it does not change no matter where in the city I go.

I must say I am very impressed with the excellent quality of Customer Service I have received from T-Mobile so far. Got very detailed instructions on how to use the phone for an upcoming trip to China, including some tips on how to avoid excessive charges. I have only been a T-Mobile customer since August and Blackberry refused to unlock my phone. The rep indicated that would happen but did send in the request for me. Blackberry is adhering to the 90 day customer rule.

I want to emphasize the post I submitted was meant to be only a "heads up" for anyone considering this phone and really any phone, check it out before committing to a contract.
    09-27-09 12:10 PM
    I've had my Pearl for a year, I always turn up the volume when I receive a call. Once I turn up the volume, I'm good as gold. I think this might be a user issue rather than a Berry issue. Maybe T-Mobile will be nice enough to let you get an 8900 since you're having such problems with your Pearl.
    09-27-09 12:14 PM
    I've had my Pearl for a year, I always turn up the volume when I receive a call. Once I turn up the volume, I'm good as gold. I think this might be a user issue rather than a Berry issue. Maybe T-Mobile will be nice enough to let you get an 8900 since you're having such problems with your Pearl.
    I KNOW you are wrong!
    09-27-09 08:19 PM
    You can set your default earpiece volume in phone options, instead of turning it up everytime.

I KNOW you are wrong!
    Yes, slight chance of you getting a Javelin, and you've already stated you changed the volume to max. We shall all know better, once you arrive at your travel destination.
    09-27-09 11:30 PM
    I've had my 8120 for over a year and have never had any problems with the internal sound level. I have actually been impressed with it's phone capabilities as well as the data functions.
    09-29-09 11:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD