It's taking forever to download this , English version with Media Manager at about 150MB. RIM's server is only allowing a speed if less than 20KB/sec and the estimate to download is well over 3 hours even with a quick internet connection.
    06-24-08 01:17 PM
    I'd just drop it and start over. That's not a typical connection speed. Also, it'll be a smaller download without Media Manager, which you may well not need.
    06-24-08 01:39 PM
    I'd just drop it and start over. That's not a typical connection speed. Also, it'll be a smaller download without Media Manager, which you may well not need.
    Thanks. I was hoping to get it downloaded this afternoon and install tonight but I will download tonight and see if it's faster from home. Unfortunately I do need Media Manager because I use the Pearl to store photos such for my business.
    06-24-08 02:20 PM
    If you've got a media card, and you must if you're going to store more than just a few photos, then you can use Mass Storage Mode to move the pictures to it using drag and drop. It's much faster and more intuitive than Media Manager. The only task for which you have to use Media Manager is optimizing videos for the blackberry, and I saw a post earlier today where someone, Pete6 I think, had found a better replacement for that function as well. If you don't download Media Manager, the download will go quicker, and Desktop Manager will load faster as well.
    06-24-08 03:03 PM
    Yup, if you do not have a Media Card then you really should think about getting one.

Like Jeff said, download the non-media manager version of Desktop Manager v4.5. It is smaller and will not slow down your PC as it does when Roxio is installed.

As Jeff also said, I use Seabyrd Technologies - Blackberry Video Converter which is free and works well even if it does have a bit of an odd user interface.

When you get your card, set it up like this.

With the Media Card installed, goto Options, Media Card and set
    Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: None
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt

Now when you connect your phone to the PC (provided DM is installed). The phone will prompt you to enable Mass Storage Mode. Select Yes and the Media Card will show up in My Computer and then you can Drag 'n Drop your files to the correct places on the Media Card.

Now you can drag and drop to/from your phone just as if it were a USB disk.
    06-24-08 03:31 PM
    Pete6: I'm still trying to confirm that laptops that can't read SD-HC in their SD slots also can't read them via USB when they're in a bb in Mass Storage Mode. Any thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-08 03:43 PM
    Pete6: I'm still trying to confirm that laptops that can't read SD-HC in their SD slots also can't read them via USB when they're in a bb in Mass Storage Mode. Any thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I am as confused about this as you are, Jeff. I have had two 8Gb microSD cards go south on me. I await a replacement. When it arrives, I will do some tests and PM you.

I will then have 3 microSD cards: 1, 2 and 8Gb. I have a variety of PCs and USB adapters so I can look at this in some depth.

Please give me a few days for the postal service to deliver a card.

Just call me Pete. The 6 is just cuz there was already another Pete already registered.
    06-24-08 04:00 PM
    Thanks, Pete. I'll look forward to hearing from you. I thought -HC was just a marketing invention when I first saw it. Maybe it is a legitimate distinction.
    06-24-08 05:12 PM
    From what I read it is just that - a marketing tag. However I did read that there was an addressing problem with high capacity cards on some card readers. True/False? I do not know right now.

If I have a senoir moment and forget, please remind me.
    06-24-08 05:16 PM
    From what I read it is just that - a marketing tag. However I did read that there was an addressing problem with high capacity cards on some card readers. True/False? I do not know right now.

If I have a senoir moment and forget, please remind me.
    You're entitled to a moment: congratulations on the 1500!!
    06-24-08 05:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD