Guys, you obviously have the new pearl (8120 / 8130)if you are reading this, can you tell me what the trackball is like on yours?

I have just upgraded from the older pearl 8100 and the trackball on that model was really responsive, had a definite "click" to it when you pushed it and seemed to have a good deal of vertical travel if that makes sense? (you could feel it being really springy to the touch).

This newer model seems to have no click to it, you have to push on it with a fingernail to "feel" the click home, it also sounds as though it is scraping or rasping when you roll it.

I took it back to the retailer within an hour of upgrading, he went and fetched another stock model, and that stock model was also similar.

Is this a common thing with the new pearl?
    Is it the same trackball asssembly as was in the older pearl?
    is it a newer assembly? either larger or smaller than the previous one?

could really do with opinions of others before i return to the store and be bullish

Cheers

Chamisra
    11-12-07 07:33 PM
    On all of the 8130 models from Verizon that I have seen the trackballs are exactly as you described. The trackballs don't click when rolled and they are "raspy" as you described. To select, it is more of a push rather than a click.

With all that being said, I haven't had any problems with it and have adjusted quite well. I don't know if its better or worse than the older trackballs, just different. I love mine and don't have any complaints.
    11-12-07 07:54 PM
    I wonder if the trackball from the 8100 will fit it?

My brother in Law has one, we are meeting up just before xmas,

I'll try and put his ball in mine (no pun intended) and if that is better then i think i need to hit up BlackBerry Repair Shop

Cheers Buddy

Chamisra
    11-12-07 08:09 PM
    i'm not really enjoying my track ball. Seems to mushy in comparison to my co-worker's pearl from TMO. This one you gott really work the ball to get where you wanna go
    11-12-07 09:34 PM
    gib-
    have you tried adjusting the sensitivity of the trackball...?

mine came set at 70 and i bumped it to 80 which i feel is much more responsive...

-db
    11-12-07 09:38 PM
    This is my 1st time using a trackball, I was so used to the trackwheel that I was using the "enter" button for the first two hours. I'm going to change mine to 80 and see if I can see a difference. Thanks db

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-07 08:50 AM
    Tried that Daddy

I even pulled the assembly out and adjusted the small sprung contact on the underside, it helps a little, nut not a lot.

I will contact bbrepairshop.com and see if there is a specification difference between both models trackballs.

I find it hard to believe RIM would re-design the trackball, if not, i'm off to steal one from someones 8100 to try theirs

Will keep you posted

Chamisra
    11-13-07 08:51 AM
    I put sensitivity up to 90 for vertical, and 70 for horizontal. I also go back and forth having the click sound play when I roll the ball.. It is a big upgrade from the D-Pad style my old phone had, so I can't complain
    11-13-07 09:44 AM
    Thanks again for the suggestion db. I bumped mine up to 80 & then decided to be bold. I bumped it up to 100, whoa baby!!! Needless to say I had absolutely no control of the trackball nor my screen lmao. I'm back to 80 and loving it.

I'm curious, has anybody succeeded to control their trackball w/a sensitivity higher than 80?

11-13-07 11:57 AM
    yeah i tried 90 it was like wrestling a greased pig around the screen...

no 80 is cool by me...fast enough..not too fast...just right...

i love my trackball...

-db
    11-13-07 04:09 PM
    Hey guys how do you ajust the sensitivity of the trackball? Where do I go (Which options?!)
    02-12-09 07:51 AM
    Hey guys how do you ajust the sensitivity of the trackball? Where do I go (Which options?!)
    You go to options/Screen/Keyboard
    02-12-09 07:59 AM
    Thanks I managed to work it out! Now I am probably being thick but how do I set the ringtone? xD
    02-12-09 02:51 PM
    Thank you for that I was wondering how to change the sensitivity for the ball.
    02-12-09 03:50 PM
    Thanks again for the suggestion db. I bumped mine up to 80 & then decided to be bold. I bumped it up to 100, whoa baby!!! Needless to say I had absolutely no control of the trackball nor my screen lmao. I'm back to 80 and loving it.

I'm curious, has anybody succeeded to control their trackball w/a sensitivity higher than 80?

I comfortably use mine at 90. Took a little getting used to, but if I lower it now it feels less responsive! LOL
    02-12-09 04:32 PM
    I am using mine at 90 too and have had no problems with it, didn't even have to get used to it!
    02-12-09 05:10 PM
    mine is now on 80. i am comfortable with it there. may try 90 and see what happens.
    02-12-09 09:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD