If so, how does it work? I want to get a pda that I can use as a phone and get wifi in the coffee shop without a 30.00 month data plan.
    07-27-08 03:26 PM
    Hi, i have 8120 and pay-as-you-go service. I use wifi at home and at work, it works perfectly except i could not use yahoo go! and google maps, due to these soft 're using edge to download ( i lock carier-internet option).
    07-28-08 08:02 AM
    The WiFi funtionality on Berries is great, but not a complete solution

It will allow you to get some things done, but not all...
    07-28-08 08:16 AM
    I will be using an 8120 without a data plan very shortly...as soon as it's shipped to me. I'm going with the 8120 so I can access the web from hotspots, have the keyboard for texting, and the calendar/contacts apps that my current Razr doesn't have.

I'm on AT&T and IMHO 30 bucks a month is insane to pay for data. I pay just about that for my 20Mbps cable modem. If AT&T had a plan like TMO, for about 10 bucks a month for email, I'd be all over it. Just not personally worth the cash to me. I'd love to have data all the time, but I'm just too much of a cheapskate.
    07-28-08 12:19 PM
    I bought the 8120 with the intent of using WIFI without the data plan, but have since realized that AT&T blocks WIFI capabilities (how, i don't know) if you do not have a data plan with them.

I've read conflicting information about this, but my experiences and lack of tech saviness seem to confirm that AT&T has duped me.
    07-31-08 10:53 AM
    I have an 8120 on T-mo with the $10 e-mail but not the data. It's good for surfing WIFI and like someone above said, some apps dpo not work (Viigo, Google Maps, etc.). I am debating whether to keep the e-mail after my rebate comes. I know I can get unlimited data and e-mail for $20/month.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I plan on dropping e-mail and not picking up the data service. Feel free to convince me why I should pick up a data plan guys!
    07-31-08 11:00 AM
    I have an 8120 on T-mo with the $10 e-mail but not the data. It's good for surfing WIFI and like someone above said, some apps dpo not work (Viigo, Google Maps, etc.). I am debating whether to keep the e-mail after my rebate comes. I know I can get unlimited data and e-mail for $20/month.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I plan on dropping e-mail and not picking up the data service. Feel free to convince me why I should pick up a data plan guys!
    I am running my 8320 with the same combination as you!!

I used WiFi only for the longest time, experimenting and saving money!!

Then I decided to add the email only addon ($10/month) to take advantage of the email functionality!! I can get by with the email and WiFi combo. Without email my Berry would feel a little less capable! With full data you can open even more doors, but I do not wanna spend that money right now!
    07-31-08 11:04 AM
    I just got my Blackberry 8120 today, and I didn't get the data plan. Is there any way to get into google apps mail without getting the data plan? I haven't had any problems with hotmail or facebook, just google.
    08-04-08 12:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD